Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

podfuture

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2005
New video iPod has broken slide lock. The iPod is stuck in the locked position so I can't use it. Can't return it right now as I am on a trip.

Anybody know how to unlock by software, or am I going to make a long flight without being able to watch Lost :)

podfuture

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2005
Pull it off, no pun intended.

It's my second video ipod (wife took over the first one once she found 'Desperate HWs' on it).

It seems to be a rare manuf defect. Just purchased yesterday and suddenly the slide lock had no resistance.

I think the plastic tab that engages the hard switch must have broken off.

Wow, is this the next big lawsuit. Ha... it has to be rare. I will exchange it when I get to destination.. just wondering if there is some tricky software code that can be used to unlock.

drater

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
The bowels of CT
podfuture said:
Pull it off, no pun intended.

It's my second video ipod (wife took over the first one once she found 'Desperate HWs' on it).

It seems to be a rare manuf defect. Just purchased yesterday and suddenly the slide lock had no resistance.

I think the plastic tab that engages the hard switch must have broken off.

Wow, is this the next big lawsuit. Ha... it has to be rare. I will exchange it when I get to destination.. just wondering if there is some tricky software code that can be used to unlock.
um, did you just answer your own question? hahaha! hope it works out for you...

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
SAME thing happened to my iPod 60 gig on a flight as well.

I took it to the Apple store at my destination, and they had a black 60 in stock, and transferred all the data and sent me on my way in less than 30 minutes. I walked in to the Genius bar and showed them the problem, and they came back with a new iPod fully loaded with my music and tv shows.

I was concerned that the slide tab broke after only a few hours of use. I used the tab maybe 4 times since I received the iPod. Kinda scary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.