Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbird22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Hello galls and guys.

I am trying to do someone a favor, and upgrade their old 4th Generation ipod touch, model MC540LL, Version 4.3.5. (8L1). I believe this model was introduced on September of 2010 and discontinued on October of 2011.

My means of upgrade is, using a Windows 7 environment and the latest version of iTunes available for download from the Apple website. After iTunes finally installed. I plugged in the iPod, and I don't see it, nor do I see any options to make it show in iTunes. FYI, when I plug it in via to the desktop, Windows responds with a message "there is no driver for the device and that it was not installed successfully.", or something along those lines. By the way, prior to attempting to upgrade through iTunes, I looked to do an over the air (OTA) update through WiFi, however, I could not find the option anywhere in settings to do so. I believe updates came through iTunes only back then.

I was under the assumption (please correct me if I am wrong) that it was up to iTunes to recognize the device, not Windows. So does this mean that Apple is no longer supporting these older devices officially? If so, is there another way to upgrade the device. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
Right, iOS 4 doesn't have OTA updates, as that came as part of iOS 5.

It sounds like it's a driver issue with Windows to me if it can't see it and is giving you a message like that. Check device manager, I'll bet it's either unrecognized or just shows as not having a working driver. Sometimes reinstalling iTunes will help with that as it includes drivers from what I remember. Or attempting to have Windows update search for one.

This iPod is still supported (as are all of them including the original from 2001) in iTunes. I had a 4th gen running 4.3.5 that I ironically downgraded from iOS 6 because iOS 6 was so slow to accomplish the same tasks compared to iOS 4 and I didn't really use any apps. It synced just fine with my Mac, and I also have a 2nd gen on iOS 4 that syncs up just fine as well. And it syncs to a Windows 7 based PC my friend has, so this points to either a Windows driver issue, or a problem with your install of iTunes on your PC.

On a side note, is there any reason they want the iPod upgraded from iOS 4.3.5 to iOS 6? It has a few features like iCloud, iMessage and such but do note if they only use it for music/video it will run slower than it does now. Just so you know.

You might try another PC or Mac if you have one.

jbird22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Right, iOS 4 doesn't have OTA updates, as that came as part of iOS 5.

It sounds like it's a driver issue with Windows to me if it can't see it and is giving you a message like that. Check device manager, I'll bet it's either unrecognized or just shows as not having a working driver. Sometimes reinstalling iTunes will help with that as it includes drivers from what I remember. Or attempting to have Windows update search for one.

This iPod is still supported (as are all of them including the original from 2001) in iTunes. I had a 4th gen running 4.3.5 that I ironically downgraded from iOS 6 because iOS 6 was so slow to accomplish the same tasks compared to iOS 4 and I didn't really use any apps. It synced just fine with my Mac, and I also have a 2nd gen on iOS 4 that syncs up just fine as well. And it syncs to a Windows 7 based PC my friend has, so this points to either a Windows driver issue, or a problem with your install of iTunes on your PC.

On a side note, is there any reason they want the iPod upgraded from iOS 4.3.5 to iOS 6? It has a few features like iCloud, iMessage and such but do note if they only use it for music/video it will run slower than it does now. Just so you know.

You might try another PC or Mac if you have one.

Thank- you for replying,

the main reason, is, that a lot of the services are very slow. The person I am doing the favor for wanted to use facetime and we could not get it to work. The internet is quite slow as well. Are they known for lagging? I know they have an A4 processor. Can I just try to do a reset of the current version instead of performing an upgrade? What if I do upgrade and don't like it, can I always go back to 4.3.5? Unfortunately, I don't have access to a mac, in fact, I run linux, and I am in Argentina. I had to go to a cybercafe to plug it into a windows machine and download iTunes.

thanks again for your help

Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.