Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrewmx17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
When I look into my library>itunes>iPhone software, there is no file there. I can see me iPod ipsw file though. Has it been deleted without my knowledge?

Back story.. Wife's iPhone 5s is running iOS 9.0.2 and I had downloaded and updated the phone to 9.0.2 via macbook.
Dug out an old iPhone 4s to give to the kid, updated it under a different user account on the macbook which it now updated to iOS 9.1
Re log into wife user account via macbook because theoretically it should still have iOS 9.0.2 ipsw file to downgrade kid iPhone 4s from 9.1 to 9.0.2 Figuring it still has legitimate 9.0.2 ipsw file to downgrade to. Plug in kids iPhone 4s, go to open up ipsw file, and nothings there! What the heck?! Did it disappear when I plugged iPhone 4s iOS 9.1 into macbook when the macbook was logged into my wife user account that hadn't been updated yet?? I'll attach a screen shot to help explain.
What I'm trying to do is JB the kid's iPhone 4s that is running iOS 9.1, when I still have a authenticate iOS 9.0.2 via wifes user account on macbook.

TIA
ipsw screenshot.png

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'm not sure that iTunes stores IPSWs that it downloads. I know you mentioned that your iPod IPSW is still there, but I did three upgrades to 9.0.1 and 9.0.2 about a month and a half ago. Each time iTunes redownloaded the IPSW - which was annoying because more time was spent downloading then upgrading.

Last edited:
Reactions: Applejuiced

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
But I still wonder why the file disappeared?

I noticed the same thing back when I was looking for the 9.0.2 IPSW.
I had to download it again to desktop and then point itunes to it when Apple was still signing 9.0.2 but just released 9.1 that day
I think iTunes just auto deleted it probably. Before they would all stay there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.