Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iCheese

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2006
Why does my macbook have a black dot for an IR receiver but my iMac doesnt?

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
What kind of iMac is it? Only the last revision iMac G5's (with iSights) and Intel iMac's had the IR port for use with Front Row.

Is that what you mean? Or are you talking about why there is no 'visible' IR port on your iMac, if that is the case, then what does it matter? Aesthetics? As long as it works right?

iCheese

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2006
I should have been more clear, yes it is an intel imac...i was just wondering how they managed to get the remote to work with it without having a visible IR receiver :eek:

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I thought I read that the IR sensor on the Intel's was right next to the optical drive (or maybe that was the Mini). And if not, then IR waves can travel very short distances through solid surfaces. So I bet the IR port is just behind the casing. It works fine right?

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
I seem to remember reading somewhere that they put it right behind the Apple logo on the "bumper" of the iMac. I don't know if that's true or not, but it's there somewhere! :)

dansgil

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The IR receiver is located behind the Apple logo (according to Apple).

Apple page about pairing the remote with your iMac says to point the remote at the logo.

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
evilgEEk said:
I seem to remember reading somewhere that they put it right behind the Apple logo on the "bumper" of the iMac. I don't know if that's true or not, but it's there somewhere! :)

Yes, that's correct.

*MacBook (Pro) - Black dot on the front
*Mac mini - Black square inside the optical drive
*iMac - Hidden behind the Apple Logo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.