Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 5, 2006
In the Depths of the SLC!
Hey, does anyone know about sending and recieving files VIA IR to a pocket pc handheld via Macbook? Where would I start, do I need any drivers? And, if I can get it working, how fast would it be? The Pocket PC (Toshiba e330) uses USB 1.1, is IR faster than this?

phairphan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Reject Beach
Rapmastac1 said:
Hey, does anyone know about sending and recieving files VIA IR to a pocket pc handheld via Macbook? Where would I start, do I need any drivers? And, if I can get it working, how fast would it be? The Pocket PC (Toshiba e330) uses USB 1.1, is IR faster than this?

I'm don't believe the IR setup in the Macbooks and Macbook Pros can be used for data transmission. I think it's a receiver, not a transceiver (capable of receiving -and- transmitting data). Older Powerbooks (like my TiBook) had an IR transceiver, but I believe Apple dropped it as a feature a few years ago. If it's a possibility, you can set it up under Network. I've used my Pocket PC with the IR connection on my Powerbook and, trust me, you're not missing anything. I think IR had a max transfer rate in the low to mid-100 kbps range.

I would suggest getting software that let's your Mac recognize your Pocket PC, like The Missing Sync (http://www.markspace.com), and using USB. Just make sure your device is supported (there is a list on their site).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.