Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
Work is a Windows system and there KeePass is used because it is free and only passwords/logins are stored. Home is 1Password because there is so much more information to store.

No matter what software is used, a password manager is needed any more because of the environment in which our computers and devices operate in.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Work is a Windows system and there KeePass is used because it is free and only passwords/logins are stored. Home is 1Password because there is so much more information to store.
Just as a note, Keepass (as well as KeepassXC for Mac or Linux) can store in its database whatever you want. You can even attach files to an entry.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
Just as a note, Keepass (as well as KeepassXC for Mac or Linux) can store in its database whatever you want. You can even attach files to an entry.

My version of KeePass is 2.28 and does not support categories like 1Password does. At work though I only really need logins so it is not an issue. Checking the KeePass website shows the most recent version is 2.35.

KeePass is holding about 96 logins and passwords for me. 1Password is holding a lot more than that and then we have all the other stuff like email accounts, credit cards, etc.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
My version of KeePass is 2.28 and does not support categories like 1Password does. At work though I only really need logins so it is not an issue.
Not sure what you mean by categories, but KeePass absolutely supports custom properties (check the Advanced tab), and it can also group entries in hierarchical categories. It's also way more customizable than any other app of this type.

Last edited:

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
1Password has pre-created categories. KeePass would allow the creation of folders for grouping. Also saw the custom properties. So yes, KeePass is powerful and highly useful. For my own home use I am using 1Password. For work I use KeePass.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
1Password has pre-created categories. KeePass would allow the creation of folders for grouping. Also saw the custom properties. So yes, KeePass is powerful and highly useful. For my own home use I am using 1Password. For work I use KeePass.
I have switched from a commercial wallet app to Keepass a few years ago and haven't looked back. I keep all kinds of sensitive information in it. The killer advantage is that it's open source. It can (and has been) peer-reviewed and independently audited, and your data isn't locked into a proprietary closed format (there are now many other apps in addition to the original app that support the Keepass database format). It is also the most customizable app of its kind, and even allows you to do things like increasing the number of PBKDF2 rounds to harden it against password cracking.

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012

For what it's worth we have custom category types in beta for our 1Password Teams product. We have a little work left to do on those, but they're coming. I have a custom template for my electronics, has things like Serial Numbers, date of purchase, warranty end date, credit card used (since those can extend a warranty), and a few other things like that.

Just an example of how I'm currently using it.

kyussmondo

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
UK
I use 1Password all the time on my Mac, iPad, iPhone, and Windows PC. 1Password is pretty much the first application I install when setting up a new device. Syncing between devices is fast. Filling in passwords is super quick on iOS devices with TouchID. I have tried using LastPass, but I just prefer using 1Password. I prefer having a standalone app on the desktop and the interface. I can also store secure notes, software licenses, etc. I also like the Watchtower feature to warn you of vulnerable sites, as well as a security audit which tells you about weak passwords, duplicate passwords, and passwords older than 3+ years, 1-3 years old, and 6-12 months old.

Personally, I think the price is reasonable. When it comes to my security, I am happy to pay. The only downside I have found is that there is no Linux or ChromeOS versions. If you run Linux or ChromeOS, you may be better off with LastPass or KeePass. I can't comment on the Android version as I haven't used it.

Is 1Password worth it? For me, most definitely.

Endlessgo

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2017
I'm currently in the same situation. I decided to give 1PW a try and it has great design and it works perfectly. But the thing is, that I'm only using Apple devices so I decided to stay with the iCloud Keychain. I'll let the 30 day period end and maybe, someday I decide to work with it on a daily basis when using Android or Windows devices. I also tested Lastpass but that Software didn't work well for me. Also, EnPass is really nice, too.

SteveJobzniak

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2015
Worth noting: 1Password has said that they will continue to support the ability to buy local, permanent forever-licenses. But they're preparing 1Password v7 which will be a paid upgrade. I would need to buy license upgrades for Mac, Windows and iOS. The upgrade cost is going to total something like 2-3 years of subscription. So I may simply switch to a subscription instead, to automatically get all platforms and versions for free.

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
I currently have about 600 items in my vault, about 450 which are logins, each with a unique garbled password that is what I believe cryptographers refer to as "computationally complex."

It is my favorite App (that does not directly make me money), and IMO one of the best Apps ever made. I use it on like 6 different devices (and in those devices I have it installed on several VMs) across many platforms, including macOS Sierra, El Cap, Win 10 1703, Win 10 1511, Win 8.1 Pro, iOS 10, and Android. Year after year, the UI integration has been fantastic, the updates & syncing has been flawless, and the cross-platform compatibility has been spectacular. I noted in another thread that, for a password manager, it is a stupidly expensive piece of software considering how many reasonably good free password managers/digital wallet Apps are available. But IMO it is such an improvement over other products I have used that it is 100% justifiable. We could call it the Mac of password managers! It has saved me massive amounts of time, prevented a lot of frustration, and has made my life simpler while dramatically increasing my security.

The ability to use it with multiple browsers is also very nice, as I can use in with Chrome in combination with an add-on program called "Don't **** With Paste" so that I can enter in credentials even on sites that have disabled this feature.

For whatever reason, the macOS and iOS versions I find more refined than the Windows version. Both work well, but 1P's integration with macOS' UI is more elegant. This might be more macOS' elegance as a whole having influence, tho.

Reactions: SteveJobzniak

vixster1901

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2009
Worth noting: 1Password has said that they will continue to support the ability to buy local, permanent forever-licenses. But they're preparing 1Password v7 which will be a paid upgrade. I would need to buy license upgrades for Mac, Windows and iOS. The upgrade cost is going to total something like 2-3 years of subscription. So I may simply switch to a subscription instead, to automatically get all platforms and versions for free.

I can not for the life of me , find the buy out version on their site.

I too have 1PW and live by it. Easy to add passwords and use the password generator. I do wish the iOS integrated better with filling in passwords. But this is probably Apples fault, I'm thinking, because, they are pushing their cloud keychain.

I recommend 1PW to all my clients.. however, I am a firm believer of the buyout version. I wish I could find that that darn link. AND, I sync the vault myself, I do NOT use dropbox or iCloud.

Endlessgo

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2017
How is the security within 1Password? It uses the membership and the vaults are stored in the cloud.

SteveJobzniak

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2015
I can not for the life of me , find the buy out version on their site.

I too have 1PW and live by it. Easy to add passwords and use the password generator. I do wish the iOS integrated better with filling in passwords. But this is probably Apples fault, I'm thinking, because, they are pushing their cloud keychain.

I recommend 1PW to all my clients.. however, I am a firm believer of the buyout version. I wish I could find that that darn link. AND, I sync the vault myself, I do NOT use dropbox or iCloud.

https://agilebits.com/store

Reactions: CoastalOR

SteveJobzniak

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2015
I see what they did there.... ;) Thank you! man, it keeps going up.

They raised the price of the Mac version, removed the Windows standalone (version 4) (but you can still buy it if you email them). And they're planning a new standalone version with some probably $30-40 upgrade price per-platform... So yeah, they're trying hard to get people to subscribe instead, to get all platforms "for free" for the low-low price of "subscribe forever". Scumbags. :p

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
How is the security within 1Password? It uses the membership and the vaults are stored in the cloud.

My understanding of cryptography is limited, but to what I know about it, I would have to say pretty solid.

1P uses client-side strong encryption, without any backdoor "password reset" features (i.e., the Makers do not have any way to access your vault.) When vault data is traveling to/from the cloud used to sync, that data has already been encrypted on the User's local machine using AES-256. Arguably, this is far more secure than relying on just TLS alone given the numerous vulnerabilities of HTTPS. It is also why it is safe to sync such personal information over (questionably secure) cloud accounts, because that vault data is completely useless without the encryption key. So even if someone gains access to your Dropbox account, they don't get access to 1P vault data*.

(*This is stated under the assumption that, A) the 1P vault password be extremely strong, and B) the 1P vault password be completely unique only to 1P and not used anywhere else for any other purpose.)

Endlessgo

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2017
Just another question between Enpass and 1Password security.

Is there any difference between the security of synching? Like I'm using Enpass with my Nextcloud or Dropbox or using the 1Password own server membership.

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
IIRC Enpass also features client-side encryption and also implements AES. Even if the data was being synced over an unsecured wireless connection and was stored in a 'public' folder on a cloud account, the data itself would be indecipherable because it was encrypted on your local computer prior to the syncing.

Endlessgo

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2017
Well but it could be bruteforced more easily, couldn't it? Because there is no second factor to protect your vault. With 1password a hacker would still need your secret key. Even if he guessed the master password correctly he couldn't access your vault.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.