Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteelBlueTJ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
USA
I am looking for a new primary monitor. I currently have the 24" Cinema Display hooked up with my Mac Pro using a mini display extension cable. The display has issues especially when connected with the extension. I get random black outs and flickers. I also have an older 20" aluminum cinema display as my secondary monitor and it's awesome. Never given me any problems. I've given up on the 24" Cinema display and I started looking on eBay and craigslist for a nice 23" aluminum cinema display. I like the matte screen better anyway. I'd like to find one that was well taken care of and complete, even the original box. Even so, it would be at least 4 years old now. I think they stopped making them in late 2008. So do you think I could get a few more years out of a 23" cinema display? How long can they be expected to last? Any known issues with them?

rkdiddy

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2008
OC Baby!
Out of curiosity have you updated the firmware on your monitor?

https://discussions.apple.com/message/16253604#16253604

This may help your flicker issues.

As far as a 23", it was a great monitor - the thing to look out for is the backlighting. They tend to dim/yellow as time goes on since they're CCFL lit. Since you have had an LED backlit display, you may notice the color difference right a way. Have you considered picking up a DELL monitor?

Last edited:

SteelBlueTJ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
USA
Thanks. I did try updating the firmware and I get the popup message saying "Alert. You do not need this update." And yea I am also considering getting a new Dell U2412. They have good reviews, plus I would have a warranty. The U2410 ultrasharp looks nice but the price is too much for me. I had a 22" Asus IPS panel for a week and sent it back because the text was always jagged looking. No matter what I did to adjust the settings I couldn't get sharp text. I think it had something to do with the anit-glare coating. It drove me nuts so I picked up a used 24" Apple cinema display. The display is great when it works, but the flickering and blackout problems are ridiculous. If I got a Dell display, I wonder if it would be like the Asus text issue all over again? Plus it would just totally kill my all-apple look though haha. But if it works good and doesn't have any jagged text issues or flickering, then it might be the way to go.

Last edited:

rkdiddy

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2008
OC Baby!
Thanks. I did try updating the firmware and I get the popup message saying "Alert. You do not need this update." And yea I am also considering getting a new Dell U2412. They seem to have excellent reviews as well. Plus I would have a warranty. It would just totally kill my all-apple look though. haha

Ha - I definitely understand. HP has a Apple-esc monitor that is pretty nice. I actually just sold my 24" ACD (no issues) and I'm (im)patiently waiting to see if a new 27" is released in the next few weeks.

dchao

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
I have had the 23" ACD for 4-5 years now, it is still going strong. And I'm using it daily.

You need to watch out the power brick over heating. Make sure you place it in a well ventilated place. If you don't look after the power adapter, it might quit unexpectedly. Many people managed fix the problem by blocking the middle pin inside the connector on the brick by a piece of plstic (try Google as I don't remember how it's done).

Of course this display is prone to the image persistence issue. I alway set my display to sleep as soon as possible and, move windows around on the screen occasionally will solve it. Don't worry, this is not a permanent issue.

I calibrate my display every few month, I don't think the colors on my display have shifted significantly over the years.

Good luck with your search for an 23" ACD.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Hi SteelBlueTJ,

I think the 23" Aluminum Display is still a good investment. To prolong the life of the LCD, avoid setting the brightness slider at maximum. I have an old 23" Apple Cinema Display, a 2003 model. It's the one with 3 legs and "acrylic" casing. It is still working great until now even though the display is 8 years old. I just set the brightness slider halfway. Colors are still brilliant for graphics and the whiteness is still white. Had a Viewsonic LCD monitor in 2007 and it died after 4 years. I think the matte Aluminum displays are one of the best Apple has made.

SteelBlueTJ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
USA
Which display wins in picture quality - The 23" LCD matte or the 24" LED glossy? The both have the same resolution 1920x1200 so do you think there would be a huge noticeable difference going from the 24" glossy LED to the 23" Matte LCD? I am loving the picture on the 24" when it works. A part of me hates replacing it even though it has issues. Anyone else ever make this "downgrade" and did you regret it?

On a side note, do you think trying a different brand mini-display extension cable would make any difference? Or do you think the flickering and blackouts are purely display related?

Last edited:

johnhackworth

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2011
UK
I have two of the 23" monitors. I'm thinking of replacing them with (initially) a single 27". There are two reasons for this. Firstly, they are, by modern standards, quite dim and secondly they run very hot - it's like sitting next to two radiators.

I'm not a huge fan of glossy displays but I think I might rather have a bright, glossy, cool display instead of a dim, hot, matte one.

YMMV

Julian.

rkdiddy

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2008
OC Baby!
Which display wins in picture quality - The 23" LCD matte or the 24" LED glossy? The both have the same resolution 1920x1200 so do you think there would be a huge noticeable difference going from the 24" glossy LED to the 23" Matte LCD? I am loving the picture on the 24" when it works. A part of me hates replacing it even though it has issues. Anyone else ever make this "downgrade" and did you regret it?

On a side note, do you think trying a different brand mini-display extension cable would make any difference? Or do you think the flickering and blackouts are purely display related?

I would say if you're in a room you can minimize the glare, the 24" display with LED backlighting looks better - IMHO. I had forgot about the heat from the 23" displays. I guess that is another selling point for the 24".

Is your ACD still under warranty? If yes, it may be worth while taking it in to be checked out. I would also try another adapter. Pick up the Apple adapter and try it out, if it doesn't help send it back. Also, what happen when you don't use the adapter?

SteelBlueTJ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
USA
I would say if you're in a room you can minimize the glare, the 24" display with LED backlighting looks better - IMHO. I had forgot about the heat from the 23" displays. I guess that is another selling point for the 24".

Is your ACD still under warranty? If yes, it may be worth while taking it in to be checked out. I would also try another adapter. Pick up the Apple adapter and try it out, if it doesn't help send it back. Also, what happen when you don't use the adapter?

No warranty on my 24". I think it's from 2008, plus I bought it used off a guy on craigslist. I just found a 2011 27" cinema display on my local craigslist for $650, and the seller says is in like-new condition. I think it's the regular LED cinema display non-thunderbolt model, which is what I would need for my Mac Pro. Does anyone know if it has the same problems of the 24" - flickering and blackouts? Or did Apple correct it? It's an option to consider if the problems have been corrected.

Last edited:

benjyhe

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2013
I just found a 2011 27" cinema display on my local craigslist for $650, and the seller says is in like-new condition.

I know this was 6 months ago or so and you've probably already settled this, but I just wanted to put in my 0.02 as I was in a similar situation considering an ACD purchase. I kept my eye on Craigslist in the Boston metro area (YMMV especially if not a major metro area) and was able to get a 30" ACD (the same generation as the 23" you were considering - as was I originally) within a month for a good price; I talked the guy down to $500 for a perfect condition with box (albeit with shipping stickers etc) and it was definitely worth it. Since you have the MacPro you may not even need the Dual-Link DVI to Display port cable.

I can't even tell you how awesome this monitor looks. Both in terms of screen image and aesthetics. You will not be disappointed. If fact, if you're anything like me, your mind will be blown. If you're still looking, since you mentioned the $650 price range, I highly recommend considering the older 30".

Attachments

• Apple CInema Display 30%22 Mac Mini.jpg
    Apple CInema Display 30%22 Mac Mini.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4,963

Spacedust

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2009
I got one too. It's old but awesome. Mine is from the end of 2007 so from the end of production.

I wish Apple would make a 23-24" with matte finish and width just like the new iMac's. That would be great !

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
I bought one a year or so ago, running great. I'm looking for one or two more. One to add to my current one on my MP1,1 and one for my future Mac mini. :)

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
most likely not

I can't think of any high tech equipment that is a good investment. They all depreciate :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.