Is a Mac a Mac?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Rockridge, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Rockridge macrumors newbie

Don't let anybody tell you that Apple is looking out for any of us...

OS X is NOT the Mac OS... it's UNIX.

Be a rebel in the 21st century... look for something new.

2. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Re: Is a Mac a Mac?

Ok, your point is what? That because an OS has a unix base, that it is ONLY unix? Come on, have you ever worked on a unix workstation? I have, and it looks nothing like OSX.

3. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Yes, the MACs are nothing but boxes that use digital 1 and 0's therefore, they aren't any different than pc's. Yes, everyone should insist on something new!!! I suggest that we all do our computing on turtles. That would be truly new.

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Are you looking for a flame war? This is a good start.

What exactly is your point here? Its pretty well known that OSX is Unix based, that's never been denied. And if I were to go and take up arms as a rebel, what exactly are you suggesting as an alternative for the Mac platform for an OS?

5. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Blah

Just because an operating system is evolutionary doesn't mean its bad, un-mac-like or not truely new.

Mac OS X is the finest desktop Unix in existence. Its interface is a marriage of the Mac OS interface (which has always been great) with the NeXT interface, which many considered very revolutionary. Its underpinnings are the a combination of many OS's and the uniquely designed Mach kernel--it is stable and is getting faster and faster. The level of integration between the new interface and the underpinnings is nothing short of a wonderment; no other Unix has ever been able to accomplish this.

Comparing the potential for growth and movement in new directions between OS X and MS offerrings, I must put my money on OS X.

Your comments show nothing but ignorance and an unwillingness to part ways with Classic Mac OS. Just because Apple is moving in new directions doesn't mean they aren't looking out for its customers. If anything, OS X is an attempt to make the Mac OS extensible and allow it to compete in tomorrows marketplace, thereby extending its life. Keeping the Mac around is probably the best way I can think of for Apple to look out for its customers.

I repeat: blah.

Taft

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Umm, the fact that it's UNIX based is heavily touted, as it's a superior OS... it's not like they were trying to "hide" this from us... Apple has done a fine job of bringing it to the masses, with an easy-to-use interface...

If you don't like it, I suggest you go learn Be, or I know a few people still devoted to OS2/warp...

:)
    pnw

7. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

Re: Blah

Just quoting this because this is one of the nicest posts of the last few days.
    I could not have said it better.

OS X, is the greatest OS ever, plain and simple!

8. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

This guy is trying to start a flame war. Ignore him.

9. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

OSX when its speed is up will be the most Mac like product from apple ever.

I LOVE OSX! IT RULES!
    LONG LIVE OSX!

I still like os9 but I don't use it anymore!

Ensign

10. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Yap, Yap, Yap....

Blood pressure rises....

Troll retreats in a puff of dock smoke...:p

11. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i'm actually thinking of using that wonderful "ignore user" option... never wanted to before, but what the hey...

:)
    pnw

12. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I used to use the ignore user for GoCyrus (cause he was really annoying) but I always used to read his messages anyway (so I could send a real horrible responce!)

Ensign

13. blakespot Administrator

blakespot

MacOS has always been the major contributor to a Mac's "Macness." It has evolved from the earliest versions of System/Finder to Mac OS 9. OS X does not lie on that long-stretching line of evolution. OS X is the latest version of OpenStep, with an interface that blends OpenStep with the look and feel of the traditional MacOS, while adding some radical new elements entirely.

I can sympathize with the original poster's perspective.

But the truth is that Mac OS 9 is a weak OS. It is inferior to Windows 95 from a kernel perspective. It is crash prone. It is amazing that an OS lacking so many modern (standard) OS features made it this long. Apple riding that OS for its survival was a scary thing.

Few realized at the time how wonderful NEXTSTEP/OpenStep was. I am one who has appreciated it for years. The fact that it is now shouldering the future of Apple has me very, very hopeful and confident. Yes---there is a deviation from the same old "Macness", but Apple is just definining some new pieces as we step into the future.

blakespot

14. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

My response is that I think OS X *does* lie on that line of evolution. It is not just the next version of OpenStep; it is a blend of OpenStep and Mac OS. There are elements of both OS's in the interface--as many (or more) from Classic Mac OS than from OpenStep. As Mac OS has long been defined by its interface, this is more of a tangent to the line of evolution. But departures and deviations in the interface have occured before in Mac OS's evolution--this is just a more major deviation.

Under the hood is a different story as it is pretty much OpenStep (with bits of code from other Unixes). This, however, is the one thing I think all Mac users would agree needed to be changed. Mac OS was built on a tower of outdated and inextensible blocks. Not very pretty.

I can identify with OS X "growing-pains", but to say that Apple is not looking out for its consumers is not only unfair, but extremely inaccurate.

Taft

15. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

how does that make it unix and not mac os
    its combined unix underbelly and easy going mac top layer
    its not unix its built on unix thats all

16. Choppaface macrumors 65816

he's right its communism. we're all file trading, copyright burning, BSD loving commies

everbody go back to OS 9 before the screen turns red ahhhhhhhh!!!!!

17. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

Re: Re: Is a Mac a Mac?

'

lol
    I hate going into OS 9 its sucks
    I only go into 9 for Virtual PC cause it sucks in X
    and my controller don't work in X yet

18. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Let me just dissect your title here: "Is a Mac a Mac?"

In short, yes.

In long, the title is totally irrelevant to the content of your thread. Of course a Mac is a Mac. A Mac is not defined by its OS. The MacOS is a vital component OF the Macintosh. The Macintosh will always be a Macintosh, regardless of what operating system is on its hard disk.

19. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Put it like this...

First off, A mac IS a mac!
    Secondly, OS X is a Mac OS.

Its like OS 9, based on a GUI. Does it being based on a GUI make it a non-Mac OS? Exactly.

Now shut the hell up, before I put on my fire-suit!

20. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

His arguement defeats itself. He tells us that OS X is not Mac and then tells us to find something new. By his logic we are already using something new since OS X is not Mac.

21. sjs macrumors 6502

Be a rebel in the 21st century... look for something new.

Want something new?
    Windows XP is "new". Suggest you try that.

22. blakespot Administrator

blakespot

Well, from my perspective as a software developer, what's "under the hood" is far more a determiner as to whether or not the OS falls along the age-old MacOS line of evolution. And in looking at what's under the hood--it does not fall along that line. It's a comparatively trivial task to MacOS-up the interface of OpenStep than to turn oldschool MacOS into a stable and viable OS for the future. Certainly the interface was oldschool MacOS's family jewels, as there is/was little robust underneath.

I certainly believe Apple is looking out for consumers, evidence to that is their converting the standard OS of the Mac from a proprietary, weak, and unstable OS to one based on what I easily consider the most advanced OS that has ever been offered to consumers--NEXTSTEP/OpenStep.

blakespot