Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
More specifically, I'm thinking of getting an iMac and I was just wondering if it can do all the things that I want.

1. I have a separate hdd on my PC that I use to store movies, music, etc.. Can I just take that out, put it in a drive enclosure, and plug it into a Mac?

2. Is there a way I can S-Video out from my iMac to my TV? If so, is there a long S-Video cable that I can connect from my room to the living room or a patch panel of some sort?

3. Since the iMac comes with built in speakers, can I plug in my own?

4. I have a Logitech MX5000 wireless keyboard and mouse. It uses bluetooth. Can I connect this to a Mac. If so, can I use the built in bluetooth or do i have to use the dongle that comes with the keyboard.

5. What tool would I use to burn a DVD movie to a disc? Do I use the whole drag and drop theory?

BenRoethig

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Dubuque, Iowa
scan said:
More specifically, I'm thinking of getting an iMac and I was just wondering if it can do all the things that I want.

1. I have a separate hdd on my PC that I use to store movies, music, etc.. Can I just take that out, put it in a drive enclosure, and plug it into a Mac?

2. Is there a way I can S-Video out from my iMac to my TV? If so, is there a long S-Video cable that I can connect from my room to the living room or a patch panel of some sort?

3. Since the iMac comes with built in speakers, can I plug in my own?

4. I have a Logitech MX5000 wireless keyboard and mouse. It uses bluetooth. Can I connect this to a Mac. If so, can I use the built in bluetooth or do i have to use the dongle that comes with the keyboard.

5. What tool would I use to burn a DVD movie to a disc? Do I use the whole drag and drop theory?

1. In theory, yes, but if it's in the NTFS file formate, you can't write to that hard drive.

2. Apple has a Mini DVI to Video Adapter for $19

3. It support Analog up to 2.1 and digital optical systems.

4. Logitech's bluetooth keyboards are not Mac compatible.

5. You can import iMovie home movies into iDVD. If you're talking about burning a copyrighted DVD, I can't help you there.

scan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
BenRoethig said:
5. You can import iMovie home movies into iDVD. If you're talking about burning a copyrighted DVD, I can't help you there.

um... thats not what I asked. I never said anything about pirated movies. I BUY my dvds and then decrypted them and store them on my hdd. Now how do I burn those movies to a blank DVD... for BACKUP purposes.

savanahrose

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2006
greer SC
I thought about the same thing as you have, but i reconsidered it. It still sounds like you are copying from a copyrighted dvd.

But they do have programs for you to do that. They come with instructions.

Carguy172

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2006
Yep it looks very good for you it does all you want it to and its in a all-in-one form factor

scan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
savanahrose said:
I thought about the same thing as you have, but i reconsidered it. It still sounds like you are copying from a copyrighted dvd.

But they do have programs for you to do that. They come with instructions.

ok I'm not asking EXACTLY HOW TO, I just want to know what programs or if OSX comes with any natively.

Zigster

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2004
An imac is not for you.

You are not appreciating all the effort the gent went through to answer your questions.

scan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
IF I was not appreciating the effort, whats that have to do with an iMac not being right for me?

Zigster said:
An imac is not for you.

You are not appreciating all the effort the gent went through to answer your questions.

Whiteapple

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
Haute Savoie,France
It is perfectly legal to Rip/Burn/Store on HDD the movies you own.

To do so:

-Download MacTheRipper, or BUY it :D
-Buy Roxio's Popcorn to downsize your VIDEO_TS folder to fit a 4.7GB DVD
-Burn the DVD in Roxio's Popcorn as well.

An iMac seems perfect. If you already have a display, go for the baseline MacMini, throw in a new 7200 rpm hard drive and RAM, buy a 16X External FW Burner (It'll be faster than that of the Superdrive in the iMac anyways, or the combo of the Mini for that matter). I have a mini, dead happy with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.