Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
All we have to get is get a million people to order ipads and return them stating the reason to be "because it doesn't have 2GB of RAM." This will make apple change next year's model into iPad Air RAM.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Personally, I'm in no mad rush. Don't want to order, find it's 1gb, then be tempted to keep it regardless as it'll still be, nonetheless, a great device. I'd regret this decision later.

well in that case why does it matter how much RAM it has? the only reason i would want it to have 2gigs of RAM would be if 1 gig was inadequate for my needs - which would be pretty obvious after using it.

----------

Apple has a decades long tradition of using the bare minimum amount of ram, so as to maximize their profits. That's why they program buyers to avoid looking closely at specs. Exception being if Apple wants to brag about a feature, then their legendary hypocrisy kicks in and they loudly trumpet whatever it is that they want to brag about.

I don't always agree with them, but I trust them and their consistent practices. As long as they are fat and happy with the largest possible margins they can charge, we know what we are getting. Apple is very clever and knows exactly what they can get away with.

No reason to wait, it's out of your hands.

yikes

betabeta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
I'm pretty sure it's still 1gb, the leaked 2gb was most likely for the multitasking Pro/Plus version.

So I just went ahead and ordered as if it was just 1gb but it would be a great surprise to find out otherwise:)

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
I'm pretty sure it's still 1gb, the leaked 2gb was most likely for the multitasking Pro/Plus version.

So I just went ahead and ordered as if it was just 1gb but it would be a great surprise to find out otherwise:)

The Pro that doesn't exist? The leaked photos were coupled along with A8X leaks and the iPad Air 2 got that.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Its almost certain the Air 2 has 2Gb but still not confirmed. That image of the chip that everyone is referring to, it isn't clear if it is an 8 or an A. People assume it is an A because the top looks narrower than the bottom indicating the 2Gb however a simple smudge could be enough to distort an 8 (1Gb) to look like an A.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
The Pro that doesn't exist? The leaked photos were coupled along with A8X leaks and the iPad Air 2 got that.

There are still the cues in the 8.1 code at a "Retina HD" resolution for iPads. Obviously it wasn't the Air 2. Maybe it's for rendering iPhone apps properly, or perhaps there is still something in the works.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
well in that case why does it matter how much RAM it has? the only reason i would want it to have 2gigs of RAM would be if 1 gig was inadequate for my needs - which would be pretty obvious after using it.

----------

Not sure what you mean.

By saying I'm in no mad rush, I mean I'm not absolutely slavering for a new iPad that I must have on launch day or I'll have a hissy fit.

If it's got 2gb, great, I'll bang in an order and get it within the next month or so. I'll buy it because, hopefully, a 2gb equipped iPad won't exhibit the things that irritate me about the current version. That is, constant app refreshes and inability to hold two tabs in memory sometimes. I'm delighted it really doesn't bother some people, good for them. It does, however, irritate me. By the same token, I drive a small Hyundai that wheezes at 70mph. It might bother some performance or image conscious drivers. I couldn't give a monkeys if it gets me A to B. Different strokes.

In the short term, with a 1gb version I might be wowed by the shiny shiny aspect, the thinness, the speed, the display, oh sweet mercy! A month later, the novelty will have worn off and my previous irritations will come to the fore.

Last edited:

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
There are still the cues in the 8.1 code at a "Retina HD" resolution for iPads. Obviously it wasn't the Air 2. Maybe it's for rendering iPhone apps properly, or perhaps there is still something in the works.

Leaks in software can happen in early stages, the A8X + 2GB of RAM leaks would only have been leaked when in high production. La iPad Air 2.

betabeta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013

Right! In fact it was iPad assets, 3x iPad assets were found in 8.1, that's a good clue it's pretty far into testing. I would assume the A8X would be used unless it gets pushed to fall.

But Apple can certainly drop something even being that close to production, so just because it's that far along, could be dumped.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Leaks in software can happen in early stages, the A8X + 2GB of RAM leaks would only have been leaked when in high production. La iPad Air 2.

If it's coming out in March, then it's in an early stage. Any earlier it is arguably at a later stage. My guess is that the Watch will be coming out in February in time for Valentine's Day and Chinese New Year. iPad Pro would get its own event, so it could be January or March.

applefanatic11

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2014
If it has 2 gigs of ram that's great. If it only has one, that's no problem either. Apple knows what its products needs. They're the number 1 cooperation in the world for a reason.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
If it's coming out in March, then it's in an early stage. Any earlier it is arguably at a later stage. My guess is that the Watch will be coming out in February in time for Valentine's Day and Chinese New Year. iPad Pro would get its own event, so it could be January or March.

Well we will find out in just a few days :) I really an feeling 2GB of RAM this year, I hope your wrong haha

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Only two words: iPad 3

There were several things going on with the iPad 3/4 transition. First, the iPad 2 was a year old, and so it was likely Apple wanted to release a new product. However, the A6 wasn't ready yet (it was a radical redesign), so they released a moderately souped-up A5. Consider that Apple is still selling one device with the A5 running iOS 8, it wasn't necessarily a bad decision, and lots of people are still running iPad 3s today.

More importantly, Apple wanted to switch to a holiday release cycle for the iPad. That, more than anything else, led to the iPad 4 release later in the year.

Faelan

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
why not just pre-order and return if it doesn't have 2GB of RAM? If the rumors about constrained supplies are true, you risk having to wait even longer.

That's why I pre-ordered. By the time I get it, we should know if it has 2 gigs or not, so I won't even have to break the seal to find out. If it doesn't have 2 gigs, returning it will be trivial with a non-broken seal and I'm sure Apple can sell it to somebody who doesn't need or care about 2 gigs without a problem.

R3k

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2011
Sep 7, 2011
Perhaps it's best not to automatically assume 2gb will fix the problems people think are being caused by 1gb?

How many performance issues are caused by software?

That said, i'm def looking forward to seeing how the A8x speeds up graphics, my Air is slightly choppy sometimes....my 1st gen iPhone 5 was smoother on iOS 8.

So, best to check the new air in store before making any decisions. (Imo)

lakerchick4life

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2007
Went to the Apple Store today just to see what a gold version iPad Air 2 might look like(Checked out the iPhone 6 to get a clearer idea) and I asked one of those Apple "Geniuses" if the new iPad Air 2 comes with 2GB of ram and the guy said "Wait, iPad's come with RAM" LOL

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Not sure what you mean.

By saying I'm in no mad rush, I mean I'm not absolutely slavering for a new iPad that I must have on launch day or I'll have a hissy fit.

If it's got 2gb, great, I'll bang in an order and get it within the next month or so. I'll buy it because, hopefully, a 2gb equipped iPad won't exhibit the things that irritate me about the current version. That is, constant app refreshes and inability to hold two tabs in memory sometimes. I'm delighted it really doesn't bother some people, good for them. It does, however, irritate me. By the same token, I drive a small Hyundai that wheezes at 70mph. It might bother some performance or image conscious drivers. I couldn't give a monkeys if it gets me A to B. Different strokes.

In the short term, with a 1gb version I might be wowed by the shiny shiny aspect, the thinness, the speed, the display, oh sweet mercy! A month later, the novelty will have worn off and my previous irritations will come to the fore.

i hear you. my point was poorly illustrated but i meant - if it works well, who cares what the specs are?
i'm hoping it's 2 gigs too, but if the chip makes up for that then i suppose it doesn't matter.

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
Definitely waiting. If it's REALISTICALLY confirmed beyond the blurry text on a leaked photo, then I'm on board the moment it is real world confirmed.

17MBPC2D

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2006
I'm waiting

I'm not purchasing this version if it still has 1GB RAM

P.S. Already looking forward to iPhone 6S plus (hopefully with 2GB RAM) cause the lag on it currently drives me nuts along with all the existing bugs in iOS8....the most annoying bug is when the screen is stuck upside-down frequently

EDIT: 2nd thought......not making another iPad purchase until multi-tasking becomes available which will almost require at least 2GB Ram

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.