Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigredgpk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2005
Hello Everyone,
I'm thinking of asking for a New Mac mini for Christmas (wishful thinking...) and when I do i'm going to do my own upgrades (Faster HD, More memory...). Should I bother getting the Apple care package? If I don't, what is the warrenty that apple offers for it's hardware? 1 year?

Thanks, Timmay

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
bigredgpk said:
Hello Everyone,
I'm thinking of asking for a New Mac mini for Christmas (wishful thinking...) and when I do i'm going to do my own upgrades (Faster HD, More memory...). Should I bother getting the Apple care package? If I don't, what is the warrenty that apple offers for it's hardware? 1 year?

Thanks, Timmay
Memory isn't an issue, but if you are replacing the hard drive, you'll probably void the warranty anyway, so -- no.

bigredgpk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2005
Ok, So I guess my next question is, does anyone notice a difference if they threw a faster hard drive into a Mini?

Thanks, Tim

mraila

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2005
If you are interested in speed and upgrading, you should get a Power Mac. Of course, they cost quite a bit more...;)

bigredgpk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2005
mraila said:
If you are interested in speed and upgrading, you should get a Power Mac. Of course, they cost quite a bit more...;)
If I knew I was going to dive head first into the Mac OS I would save up for a Power Mac... but since i'm testing the waters i'm going to get a Mac Mini (or a headless G4 iMac...), also i'm going to get a new Dell Dimension 9100 (replacing my AMD XP 2400 that's showing it's age).

Still not sure if I want to get a USB KVM with DVI (do they makes these?) or just go with Two monitors and use Synergy...

Timmay

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.