Is Apple Care worth it if i'm going todo my own upgrades?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bigredgpk, Nov 7, 2005.

1. bigredgpk macrumors newbie

Hello Everyone,
    I'm thinking of asking for a New Mac mini for Christmas (wishful thinking...) and when I do i'm going to do my own upgrades (Faster HD, More memory...). Should I bother getting the Apple care package? If I don't, what is the warrenty that apple offers for it's hardware? 1 year?

Thanks, Timmay

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Memory isn't an issue, but if you are replacing the hard drive, you'll probably void the warranty anyway, so -- no.

3. bigredgpk thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, So I guess my next question is, does anyone notice a difference if they threw a faster hard drive into a Mini?

Thanks, Tim

4. mraila macrumors member

If you are interested in speed and upgrading, you should get a Power Mac. Of course, they cost quite a bit more...;)

5. bigredgpk thread starter macrumors newbie

If I knew I was going to dive head first into the Mac OS I would save up for a Power Mac... but since i'm testing the waters i'm going to get a Mac Mini (or a headless G4 iMac...), also i'm going to get a new Dell Dimension 9100 (replacing my AMD XP 2400 that's showing it's age).

Still not sure if I want to get a USB KVM with DVI (do they makes these?) or just go with Two monitors and use Synergy...

Timmay