Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

motulist

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
I figured it out! After turning AM off and on and getting less and less space back I finally went in with iexplorer and found all the garbage files that Apple music was storing. Inside the "media" folder was a folder called "cloudservices" (or something like that), and there were hundreds of MP4 files. I deleted all the files there, and boom, my 3.4 GB of free storage space reappeared, and when I opened AM again everything still worked perfectly. Mother-f'er.

Reactions: dkh587

WordsmithMR

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2015
Murica
I also have been having this issue. Through out the day my memory depletes. Once I get home and sync to my iTunes it seems to correct itself. It has been especially annoying this weekend when I was out and taking videos. I really wish the playlist issue would get patched so I can easily sync playlists from my Macbook to my phone and have actual downloaded files, so I don't constantly stream music.

Reactions: dkh587

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Turned on Apple Music and noticed this issue after I started downloading for offline. I chose the same playlists as I synced the old way, and somehow those playlists plus the rest of my library in the cloud and the Apple Music cache takes up more space than before. Gah!!

WordsmithMR

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2015
Murica
Turned on Apple Music and noticed this issue after I started downloading for offline. I chose the same playlists as I synced the old way, and somehow those playlists plus the rest of my library in the cloud and the Apple Music cache takes up more space than before. Gah!!
How do you sync your playlists the old way? I have been searching everywhere for the old option to manually select which playlists you have on your device... Have yet to have any luck finding it.

numberfour

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2015
It's killing my storage as well. I had about 18gb free before. Now after making some albums offline it show me that music takes up 1,9 gb, but I have 8,4gb free. Hoping for a fix soon

adamhenry

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2015
On the Beach
How do you sync your playlists the old way? I have been searching everywhere for the old option to manually select which playlists you have on your device... Have yet to have any luck finding it.

Here is a procedure I found on another site. I don't use Apple Music so steps 1-8 were unnecessary for me.
  1. With your device plugged into your Mac through USB, open iTunes on your Mac.
  2. Select Music from the icon tabs on the upper left of the interface.
  3. Then under Playlists, select your playlist you want to sync with your phone.
  4. The playlist name will appear as a banner image under the Apple Logo.
  5. Select the three dots to the right of the Play and Shuffle controls.
  6. Select Add To.
  7. Then select Add To Device.
  8. Now that you have the playlist you want to sync added to the queue to sync to your phone. Let's sync the playlist to your phone.
  9. Select your Device in the top row of icons on the upper left of the interface.
  10. Select Summary.
  11. Check Sync only checked songs and videos.
  12. Then select Sync in the lower right to sync that playlist to your iPhone.

Reactions: WordsmithMR

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA

Oh, I was just referring to what I used to do before Apple Music. I was under the impression that now out only option is to save for offline which apparently takes more space than syncing the same playlists used to.

motulist

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
Warning!!!

After deleting the files using iexplorer that I described above, all my storage space came back and AM worked fine for a few days, but a couple days later my playlist we're all suddenly empty and are likely gone for good.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
Damn. I was strongly hoping that iOS 9 would fix this bug. This is the ONE problem with AM that stops me from using it a million times more often.
Crap, me too. My phone becomes completely useless when it comes to using camera since it wont be able to save not one more photo... this is getting really stupid.

Reactions: motulist

Jt69yupper

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2015
because of this I had to shop Services... I ended up liking rdio the best. Your loss apple

motulist

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
Damn, I just confirmed it myself. On iOS 8.4.1 Apple Music is still devouring all my storage space.

After updating the OS this morning, I went back to AM to browse through a whole bunch of songs and add the ones I like to a playlist. And just like always my storage space started to disappear fast. As long as I don't add songs to My Music and playlist, then my free storage space stays the same, but as soon as I start adding songs to my collection then hundreds of MB wind up disappearing every hour I do it.

Without being able to collect music I like into playlists, AM's use to me is reduced by like 75%.

Fricking fix this bug Apple!

BR485

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2011
The Big Smoke
I
nop, my iphone just imformed me that im out of free space. Now im updating o 9.0.2 or whatever it is... ****in apple doesnt to **** about this bug.

I know I'm replying to an old post but the issue is still relevant. What you call a 'bug' is Apple Music using free space on your device to cache playlists and other data. Theoretically caching should not take up all the remaining space but on devices with limited storage (16GB-32GB) it does exactly that. Look at it as a prod from Apple Inc. reminding you that, hey, we have a 128GB iPhone here with your name on it. Just gives us money and its yours. Or you can look at it as capitalism. Same thing, really.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.