Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajnicho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2008
£85 for an Apple TV is worth it. I have two in my house.

It's the cheapest way to get XBMC on your TV which opens up all kinds of doors!

Lindenhurst

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
You need Apple TV for AirPlay I think.

I would like to know too if Apple TV is worth it. I have a PS3 that I use for almost all of Internet/TV related stuff from Netflix to Internet browsing. But the ability to mirror my 4S on my TV is pretty cool, too. Not sure if it's worth it though.

I love mine. The other day I was watching on a spare tv that has no cable box connected to it, but does have apple tv. I was able to pull up a movie on Xfinity through the iPad, and using airplay I was able to watch it on tv. Streamed perfectly. Looked great.

----------

£85 for an Apple TV is worth it. I have two in my house.

It's the cheapest way to get XBMC on your TV which opens up all kinds of doors!

Jailbroke mine and installed nitto tv and xbmc and really didn't see the benefit. Restored to original. Just my opinion. I don't have video in other formats to watch on it so I can't see the benefit

Tribefan

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Ok, just so I can be sure I'm not missing anything, is it correct that, out of the box, Apple TV can't play Hulu content, but if I use my iPhone 4S, in conjunction with the Hulu app and air play, I could watch Hulu content on my tv through Apple TV? If that's not the case, does jailbreaking an Apple TV open up any options for Hulu?

I'm asking because I'm looking for a cable alternative and I like the possibilities with an Apple TV unit over a Roku Box, but Hulu is a must.

TruckdriverSean

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2009
Texas, US
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yes

If you already have an iDevice and $99, then heck yes it's worth it.

If it were $299, I'd say probably not.

CmdrThor

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Ok, just so I can be sure I'm not missing anything, is it correct that, out of the box, Apple TV can't play Hulu content, but if I use my iPhone 4S, in conjunction with the Hulu app and air play, I could watch Hulu content on my tv through Apple TV? If that's not the case, does jailbreaking an Apple TV open up any options for Hulu?

I'm asking because I'm looking for a cable alternative and I like the possibilities with an Apple TV unit over a Roku Box, but Hulu is a must.

I don't know the answer to this, but one big disappointment with Hulu on anything but a computer is a decent portion of their library is "web only" and cannot be viewed on iDevices, game consoles, Roku, etc. I guess this is because how they negotiated their rights for the content. Google "hulu web only" and you'll see what I'm talking about.

bls8195

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2011
I thought there was an update recently, and now Pandora was added at least on my Apple TV there is one.

smacman

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2006
For years I avoided the Apple TV thinking it is an overhyped hobby device. I finally crumbled and picked one up last month (impulse buy.. in the Apple Store.. Had to buy something!). It has changed my life! Awesome device that integrates beautifully with other Apple toys..

Tribefan

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2011
Charlotte, NC
I don't know the answer to this, but one big disappointment with Hulu on anything but a computer is a decent portion of their library is "web only" and cannot be viewed on iDevices, game consoles, Roku, etc. I guess this is because how they negotiated their rights for the content. Google "hulu web only" and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Crap. :(

ajnicho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2008
Jailbroke mine and installed nitto tv and xbmc and really didn't see the benefit. Restored to original. Just my opinion. I don't have video in other formats to watch on it so I can't see the benefit

Icefilms plugin, Music Video Jukebox plugin, Liveonlinefooty.com plugin.

Ability to watch any format.

Hls811

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2004
New Jersey
I've been wanting one for a while - I've been entrenched in the Apple ecosystem for a while (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, etc) but could never really convince myself to get one so this thread has really been helpful.. I do have a few questions though...

I'm not a big movie guy so Netflix isn't really a selling point to me (and I believe its part of my TV too)

I currently have the HDMI Adapter for the iPhone/iPad and have that hooked up to my TV - if theres something I want to watch I copy it to one of my iOS devices, connect it and watch. Aside from the convenience of not having to do those steps (and being able to stream) is there any benefit to ATV over the HDMI connector for that purpose?

Also, I saw a few mentions of being able to watch live sports with ATV.. is that solely subscription based? I know the latest update added NHL compatibility, How does that work? And if its the same as the NHL premium available on the iPhone/iPad (which I believe is $170/year) would I benefit in doing it through the ATV as opposed to through the HDMI cable? And finally, is it HD quality and still stuck with blackout restrictions? (I have FIOS, and MSG HD isn't available to me (thanks Cablevision) - I'd LOVE to find a way to get the Rangers in HD again!)

mark34

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2006
Elegant, high quality, inexpensive and great for those of us who utilize iTunes content. The airplay ability is the icing on the cake and makes it tremendously useful. Great ability to control the AppleTV with remote app on any iPhone or iPad. For $99, I have one on just about every TV.

I enjoy renting/buying movies and the quality is very good. I still use Blu-Ray for some movies that I really want the absolute best experience in my home theater, but even on a 135" screen and high end audio system, the AppleTV does very well.

spartanrob

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
Can you connect it to an older TV that does not have HDMI?

Can you stream Slingbox through it?

CandyCane23049

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2009
Ok I watch a lot of TV the networks I usually watch are Fox, ABC, NBC, USA and I watch all the sports networks. I use Netflix and Hulu+ but I use my PS3 to use those services, also I still like my DVD's/Blu-Rays compared to streaming episodes of television shows I watch. Plus the only Apple device I own to use with the TV is my 4S, how would a Apple TV benefit me?

The only time I use Itunes for a TV episode is if my DVR misses it plus I like to go back and watch thing's, with Apple you can only rent once right?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
The only time I use Itunes for a TV episode is if my DVR misses it plus I like to go back and watch thing's, with Apple you can only rent once right?

As far as getting the movie/show directly on the AppleTV, yes, that's a rental. However you can buy content in iTunes on your computer, turn on home sharing, and access that content from your AppleTV.

I have ripped most of my DVDs to .M4V format and imported them into iTunes on my computer. That lets me sync any movies that I want over to my iPhone or iPad, but it also makes that content available on either of my Apple TV's (as well as on my iPad or iPhone when they're on my home WiFi network).

One of my Apple TV's is hooked to my stereo system, so I can also access my full iTunes music library and play it there.

Apple TV isn't perfect, but it offers an awful lot of utility for $99. The one thing I wish I could do with it but can't is access the Amazon Prime streaming video.

CandyCane23049

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2009
As far as getting the movie/show directly on the AppleTV, yes, that's a rental. However you can buy content in iTunes on your computer, turn on home sharing, and access that content from your AppleTV.

I have ripped most of my DVDs to .M4V format and imported them into iTunes on my computer. That lets me sync any movies that I want over to my iPhone or iPad, but it also makes that content available on either of my Apple TV's (as well as on my iPad or iPhone when they're on my home WiFi network).

One of my Apple TV's is hooked to my stereo system, so I can also access my full iTunes music library and play it there.

Apple TV isn't perfect, but it offers an awful lot of utility for $99. The one thing I wish I could do with it but can't is access the Amazon Prime streaming video.

OK, thank you.

mark34

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2006

Just a heads up that iTunes doesn't rent tv shows anymore. You can purchase TV shows directly from your AppleTV and start streaming it right away (assuming you have decent internet connection).

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Just a heads up that iTunes doesn't rent tv shows anymore. You can purchase TV shows directly from your AppleTV and start streaming it right away (assuming you have decent internet connection).

Good to know.

I know iTunes can be set to Automatic Download Music, Apps, and Books purchased on other devices. Do you know if it does that for TV episodes purchased through an Apple TV? I haven't bought any TV shows through my Apple TVs yet.

frostbit3

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
I use my Apple TV all the time. I used to download movies through various sites and have to deal with crappy quality, transfer rates between that and my PC, waiting for the download, etc. When I got the Apple TV, it's just easy for me to click on it, and pay $1-$5 for a movie/TV Show and have it instantly. To me, that's worth the money because I don't want to waste time dealing with downloading it, and hoping it's a decent quality.

The other thing I use it all the time for is watching stuff from my iPad/iPhone. Sometimes I'll start watching something on my ipad and want to continue watching it on my projector, so I'll just hit the air play button and turn the receiver on. It really makes everything very simple.

In short, for $99 I really enjoy it and use it constantly.

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
If, like me, you are heavily invested in the current Apple Ecosystem (I own both an iPad2 and iPhone 4S, along with a 2010 MBP and MBA), the AppleTV2 is well worth the $99.00 investment. The ability to mirror with the iPad2 and iPhone 4S is a great feature and being able to stream content from either my 15" i5 MBP or my 11" MBA is great for my needs. I also agree that although both my Sony 40" NX720 3D TV and my BDP-BX57 3D BluRay player have built in wireless and the NetFlix app, the ATV2 Netflix GUI is vastly superior than either of those IMO...
I bought two ATV2's and enjoy using them...
Just an FYI, my TV and ATV2's are located right next to my Motorola Surfboard Extreme SBG6580 which feeds my AEBS and thus I have them connected via ethernet which allows for excellent streaming of video content...

adityashah1989

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2008
Can I play avi format movies from my MBP that I haven't purchased from iTunes on ATV?

Also what are the key difference in ATV & Airport Express? Except for the fact that Airport Express can be used as a router.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.