Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
For the Mac Mini, I opted for this seller, who for $65 ships the Applecare product in its original sealed box (there are only 2 left at the moment). It comes with a diagnostic tools CD and documentation, as well as the registration code.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mac-Mini-Applec...yZ111418QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There aren't as many options for the Mac Mini Applecare on ebay. Maybe it's just not as profitable for the sellers despite the fact that it is a huge ripoff from Apple at $149.

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
A few things to keep in mind about AppleCare and all other extended warranties:

1 - They are very profitable for the sellers. Meaning, that on average the sellers will pay out far less in claims than they collect in premiums. Considered purely on an economic basis, extended warranties are a bad deal. They will be a bad deal until someone decides to sell them at a loss. IOW, always.

2 - When someone quotes some astronomical price tag for a repair, especially one covered by AppleCare, consider that the price quoted is from Apple. This is important for two reasons. First, Apple is incentivized to quote huge repair costs which they "covered" because of your wise purchase of AppleCare. Second, service from Apple is always going to be the most expensive way to have a Mac repaired. Independent computer repair shops charge half or less than Apple does for the same repair.

3 - In the unlikely event that your $1,500 Mac craps out three years after purchase, how much would you logically invest in repair, if it wasn't insured? Would it not have something to do with what the computer was worth at that point, or how much it would cost to replace? Would you normally choose to sink $1,000 into repairing a computer that might not be worth even half that much? AppleCare alters this economic calculation, because in effect, you've paid in advance.

Bottom Line: Insuring against losses that you could easily afford to pay yourself if they occurred is a waste of money. Always has been, always will be.

What you say is mostly true, but the batteries commonly do die on a notebook and while Apple has been known to replace them even without a warranty for free in some instances, your chances increase with Applecare past the one year. With AppleCare being so cheap from ebay what is the excuse not to buy it? If the machine isn't worth that much 2 years down the road, the fact that it has AppleCare on it improves the selling price of the machine and allows the owner to upgrade to a newer model at reduced cost. Seems like a good investment to me at a small price especially when it tends to be less than the cost of most higher capacity HDDs.

MacAndy74

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2009
Australia
For peace of mind, AppleCare is a must. You're already spending a fair bit of money buying the hardware - why not buy insurance for it too. :)

Dunmail

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
Skipton, UK
A quick search on ebay (UK) shows that £50 ($90) is the going rate - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AppleCare-iMa...-the-new!_W0QQitemZ320353239057QQcmdZViewItem assuming of course that the seller is legit and their feedback rating hasn't been done by their mates:rolleyes:

Given that Apple want £136 for it ...

If you buy towards the end of the included warranty, does it give you another three years or still just extend to three years? There's a comment earlier in the thread about keeping on buying Applecare to extend the warranty which implies that you are purchasing X years' worth each time.

I agree with the comment about Apple differentiating themselves by offering a 3 year warranty as standard, presumably they've done their sums and decided against it. I work in a similar industry and we get lots of feedback about failure rates, trends etc. , you'll get a lot of failures early on, then things tail off for maybe eighteen months to two years then start to rise slowly but consistently. This is a fairly common graph for all electronic goods. I suspect the initial failures are a combination of constant use and handling damage along with manufacturing defaults or items being at the limit of quality control.

Right, one 24" iMac with 9400M graphics purchase coming up:D I'll let you know how I get on.

rich.smith

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2008
Can't find the article, but it's been discussed in a lot of tech blogs that Apple's failure rate is pretty bad, so yeah, I think quality has dropped a bit. I'm one of millions of users so it doesn't mean much but it definitely doesn't help apples failure rate that I had to go through 3 MacBook Pro's in less than 2 weeks before landing one that works with no problems/defects.

Blogs and one persons experience are your hard data of a worldwide trend involving millions of machines? My experience has been great with Macs at home and at work. I have personally used 3 MacBooks, 1 MBP, and 1 iMac with no problems. Here is a quote from a blog that contradicts your claim:

Apple’s hardware failure rate is way less than any other brand.

RedRaven571

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2009
Pennsylvania
It's not that is Applecare worth it - it's can you afford to have something fixed after Applecare expires...

With a logic board replacement costing almost more that the computer spending a few hundred dollars now might save you in the long run.

Amen to that! A few years back, I purchased a HP laptop that cost $2K, I bought the 3 year extended warranty for $350 (that one included accidental damage); the GPU fried the MB about a week out of the 3 years and HP replaced my laptop. For $169 (less with education discount), the 3 year Apple coverage is very cheap insurance, IMO.

Sagnet

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2009
Is Applecare worth it?
That all depends on your particular situation. Norwegian law gives consumers a 5 year warranty on almost any consumer product, computers included. So for me, Applecare wouldn't be worth it.

bigbird

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
Canada
At the Cdn educational Apple store the base mini goes for $669 Cdn. Applecare for it goes for $119. That represents an insurance policy costing 18% of the original price. Not very cost effective in my opinion. If you had a new Mac Pro, it would cost $2699 and Applecare for it would be $239. That's only 9% of its value. Using the same % rate, the Mini's Applecare should only cost $60. Why does Apple try to rip us off? Because they're Apple!

powerbook911

macrumors 601
Mar 15, 2005
I have to say. I sometimes don't know. However, it will help your resale value a few dollars, if you sell it after year 1, but during the 3 year warranty still, if you had Applecare on it.

It's pretty affordable on iMacs, which is good because they would probably be less likely to break than a notebook, which by some people, get banged around a bit.

I've had it on my Powerbook and two iMacs, and so far I've only need it to replace an adapter, or a mouse, but hey, it was even nice then. knock on wood. I'd rather not have to use it even if I have it!

Now on a Mac Mini I have to wonder if it would be better, to just buy a new one, if it broke, with the lower price tag, same with Apple TV for example. Now with iPod I get it, to have battery done at end of year 2, if needed.

Finally, there is a potentially other solution! If you don't have too bad money troubles and are good and saving money and not touching it, everytime you buy something where an extended warranty is offered, you could put the same amount of money into a savings account. This would add up over time and could cover the cost of most replacements eventually.

Well, I'd probably just still get Applecare, for now. ha-ha. However, I do not buy applecare until 11 months into standard warranty. There is *NO* point to give APple your money 11 months early!

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Not quite true. Your free Apple phone supports stops after 3 months. Applecare continues your free phone support after the 3 months to the full 3 years.

Yeah. Single phone support after 90 days costs 50€, that's ridiculous.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Owned many macs but never have nor will buy apple care.

For me I have seldom keep a computer more then a year so wouldn't be worth it.

The iMac I got my parents is from 05 though and still runs perfect.

Dalmuti

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2008
One other thing to consider is that it is easer to re-sell your computer if you still have some Apple Care left on it, even if it's only a few months. I've sold my last two iMacs on Craigslist, one around 2 yrs and one 2.5 yrs, and was able to get about $100 and $50 more than others that didn't have AC. AC is transferable and people feel more confident in buying used if the computer is still under warranty. If you plan on upgrading every couple of years you will get some of that money put into AC back.

3lutz3toe

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2008
I totally agree w/ this. Extended Warranties are not really worth it unless you're one of those who can afford them and don’t want the extra effort.
—If a product fails after 2 or 3 years, then you either got a lemon or the build is not all of that great.
—I personally would stay away from that. It’s a way for companies to make a nice chunk of profit through scare tactics.

A few things to keep in mind about AppleCare and all other extended warranties:

1 - They are very profitable for the sellers. Meaning, that on average the sellers will pay out far less in claims than they collect in premiums. Considered purely on an economic basis, extended warranties are a bad deal. They will be a bad deal until someone decides to sell them at a loss. IOW, always.

2 - When someone quotes some astronomical price tag for a repair, especially one covered by AppleCare, consider that the price quoted is from Apple. This is important for two reasons. First, Apple is incentivized to quote huge repair costs which they "covered" because of your wise purchase of AppleCare. Second, service from Apple is always going to be the most expensive way to have a Mac repaired. Independent computer repair shops charge half or less than Apple does for the same repair.

3 - In the unlikely event that your $1,500 Mac craps out three years after purchase, how much would you logically invest in repair, if it wasn't insured? Would it not have something to do with what the computer was worth at that point, or how much it would cost to replace? Would you normally choose to sink $1,000 into repairing a computer that might not be worth even half that much? AppleCare alters this economic calculation, because in effect, you've paid in advance.

Bottom Line: Insuring against losses that you could easily afford to pay yourself if they occurred is a waste of money. Always has been, always will be.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I totally agree w/ this. Extended Warranties are not really worth it unless you're one of those who can afford them and don’t want the extra effort.
—If a product fails after 2 or 3 years, then you either got a lemon or the build is not all of that great.
—I personally would stay away from that. It’s a way for companies to make a nice chunk of profit through scare tactics.

But people are ready to pay if they can sleep their nights well. Why you even get insurance if you think that way, "My house will never get burned", "I don't need money if my wife dies". Personally I pay if that relaxes me, so I don't have to worry about future. 179$ is small amount compared to 900$. I want this Mac to last at least 3 years, so that little extra makes me feel good.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

I would agree with you if the computer was $600. But if you're laying down $2400+ and you're computer fails after a year, you're ready to brush it aside and say "oh well, I got a lemon anyway..."?

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I would agree with you if the computer was $600. But if you're laying down $2400+ and you're computer fails after a year, you're ready to brush it aside and say "oh well, I got a lemon anyway..."?

No, but that's not the point. The questions you need to ask yourself are an economic ones: What is the computer worth now, and how much would I spend to have it repaired if it wasn't insured? Insuring it doesn't make the repair economically wise. In reality, you've paid for the repair in advance, so you don't get to decide if it's economically wise.

3lutz3toe

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2008
I’d also like to add to this point. We are all letting these companies off easily because they all only warranty their products only for 1 year!

—A product that costs one $800 dollars and up should last at least 2-3 years, normal wear and tear of course doesn’t count.
—And the poster who compares this to insuring a House is I don't really think you can compare. One, a house costs a lot more than a computer. And a house is such a huge chunk of money that if damaged, most would never be able to afford to fix or replace w/out insurance. And a house is not a product manufactured by a corporation that should stand behind their offerings.

But hey, if it makes you feel better, then by all means for it up. You're subsidizing Apple and maybe the rest of us who don't have AppleCare.

No, but that's not the point. The questions you need to ask yourself are an economic ones: What is the computer worth now, and how much would I spend to have it repaired if it wasn't insured? Insuring it doesn't make the repair economically wise. In reality, you've paid for the repair in advance, so you don't get to decide if it's economically wise.

powerbook911

macrumors 601
Mar 15, 2005
Not quite true. Your free Apple phone supports stops after 3 months. Applecare continues your free phone support after the 3 months to the full 3 years.

Who needs the phone support though? If find you need it, add applecare then.

gasport

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2007
What are people's experience like?

I purchased my first iMac in early 2007 and got applecare. I gave it to my granddaughter as I have a BTO iMac awaiting shipping. The only time I used it was when I had some real problems getting my AEBS configured. I had purchased it and not used it for 6 months so it was out of free support. The guy I called asked me if I had applecare on my iMac and I said yes. He told me the AEBS was covered under that warranty. They eventually replaced the AEBS with a new one (still had same problem). I spent literally 6 hours on the phone with them. A software update finally resolved the issue.

After 2 plus years I have had no need to contact apple regarding the iMac. I believe most added warranties are overpriced and never used. The biggest money maker has to be extended warranties for TVs.....

However, if you want peace of mind and like some here have real problems with the iMac than it is probably worth it. I am looking at buying it on ebay, but I need to hear from some others who have purchased it and activated it before I will commit.

davids8477

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008
Applecare on Ebay

I have Applecare on 3 machines (one MBP One IMAC 24" and a new MINI)
I bought the Applecare for the MINI on Ebay for $65 - at that price its a bargain in my opinion.

I have used Applecare twice on my MBP so that paid for all 3 extended warantees

For peace of mind use Applecare - especially as they are so tough to get into.

drjsway

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
My friend works for Apple and he tells me that they make a KILLING from Apple Care. Any type of insurance is a bad deal. If it weren't, they wouldn't be offering it.

Also, Apple Care doesn't cover accidental damage. I'm more likely to drop/spill water on my notebook than have it fail on its own. As far as desktops, in my twenty years of computer, never has a desktop failed in three years.

Regardless of whether you buy it on ebay, it's still not a good bet.

Actually, "bet" is a good word. Let's say 40% of people get value out of Apple Care and 60% don't. Would you go to Vegas and put a bet down with a 40% chance of winning? Hell, most Vegas games have only a .5-2% house edge.

The actual number is probably much less than 40%. What are the chances that your brand new computer will fail, not in the first year, but in the second or third? 10%? 5%? Lower?

You also need to look at how much your computer worth in the second or third year. I wouldn't buy a two year old MacBook for more than a few hundred dollars. I wouldn't buy a three year old MacBook at all.

My MacBook Pro's LCD failed after 1 1/2 years. I dropped it so Apple Care wouldn't have covered it anyway, but even if they did, I wouldn't feel regret because I'd gotten 18 months of use out of it, and was looking forward to a new computer. Ideally, I would've used it for 3 years but 18 months didn't kill me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.