Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
So I sold my 1.5 year old iPad Mini 2 for a decent price since it started to feel slow and laggy and I never liked that life-less pale screen.
now I've been without an iPad for over 2 weeks and I'm increasingly feeling the need for another one.

I am focused on 64GB Mini 4 but might consider 64GB Air 2 too,since they can be bought fore pretty much same price.

now do you think it's the wrong time to buy the Mini 4? was about Air 2?

my main iPad usage will be web browsing ,reading,youtube,mail,note.

Last edited:

ACG12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2015
As long as you don't purchase it at msrp, it's still a good time to purchase either one. Best Buy has dropped the price on the mini 4 and air 2 by $100 several times, so I'd wait until you find one that is discounted.

Reactions: Channan

Kermit262

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Central Ohio
I think it's a mistake to look at screen size differences relative to price. You want to get the most value for your money, but if a smaller screen is your prefered size it doesn't make sense to buy a bigger screen just because it's the same price. If you were in the market for a sports car, you wouldn't buy a minivan at the same price just because it's bigger.

So buy the screen size you like best, and don't worry about comparing prices. With regards to the Mini4 and Air 2, I think it's a good time to buy, since they have been priced to reflect their current status in the line-up. Definitely good values.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
I think it's a mistake to look at screen size differences relative to price. You want to get the most value for your money, but if a smaller screen is your prefered size it doesn't make sense to buy a bigger screen just because it's the same price. If you were in the market for a sports car, you wouldn't buy a minivan at the same price just because it's bigger.

So buy the screen size you like best, and don't worry about comparing prices. With regards to the Mini4 and Air 2, I think it's a good time to buy, since they have been priced to reflect their current status in the line-up. Definitely good values.
I know what you're saying,I admit it has been very difficult for me to decide iPad size..I first bought a Mini 2 when they first released it,after few days I thought the original Air was better so returned the Mini 2 and bought the Air,had it for 1.5 year but kinda regret selling the Mini as I felt portability and form factor was superior..so sold the Air and bought nother Mini 2,definitely preferred the form factor although didn't like pics zooming for comfortable reading too much.
now it's same all over again deciding between Mini 4 and Air 2.crazy.
but my main concern now is not size,but whether buying these at this point of time with iOS 10 on the horizon (and Mini 5) a good decision since I will be keeping the new iPad for 2 years.

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I know what you're saying,I admit it has been very difficult for me to decide iPad size..I first bought a Mini 2 when they first released it,after few days I thought the original Air was better so returned the Mini 2 and bought the Air,had it for 1.5 year but kinda regret selling the Mini as I felt portability and form factor was superior..so sold the Air and bought nother Mini 2,definitely preferred the form factor although didn't like pics zooming for comfortable reading too much.
but my main concern now is not size,but whether buying these at this point of time with iOS 10 on the horizon (and Mini 5) a good decision since I will be keeping the new iPad for 2 years.

How big is your phone? I used to have a mini 2, but got rid of it for 6plus and haven't gone back...

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
How big is your phone? I used to have a mini 2, but got rid of it for 6plus and haven't gone back...
it's 5.7 Inches Note 5.
however I definitely find Mini size superior for web browsing,reading etc.not fan of large phone instead of tablets.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....

Why not wait until after WWDC to see if they announce the new Mini? Either of these is a good buy now especially if you're not going to be using the pencil. As so many folks wisely say here, there will always be a new iPad, iPhone, Mac etc. If you want it now, buy it now. If you can wait, do so.

I will admit I am no longer a fan of the 9.7" form factor and I adored the Mini 4. If I didn't have to pay tuition again in a month, I'd flirt with getting another Mini 4. The form factor, screen and colors made it a pleasure to read on etc. It is the perfect sized commuting device for me.

This boils down to what works best for you. The price point is so close now I wouldn't consider that an issue.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009

How important is it to have one now vs. Sept or whenever the new ones out?
How price sensitive are you? Are you willing to pay MSRP for a new one or gamble the older ones will drop more in price as the new one get closer to release?
Current iPads ought to run iOS 10 just fine baring Apple introducing some feature that requires a new capability only the newest models have.

In the end it comes down to do you need one now or can you wait for the new ones.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

I'm glad it worked out for you, but I don't think that everyone will agree that a 5.5" 16:9 phone is an adequate substitute for a 7.9" 4:3 tablet. There's a fair difference in screen real estate, and the phone doesn't allow for split screen or iPad optimized apps. It sounds rather obvious to say, but the Plus is just a big iPhone while the Mini is a small iPad. Depending on one's expectations that distinction can be quite significant.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
I'm glad it worked out for you, but I don't think that everyone will agree that a 5.5" 16:9 phone is an adequate substitute for a 7.9" 4:3 tablet. There's a fair difference in screen real estate, and the phone doesn't allow for split screen or iPad optimized apps. It sounds rather obvious to say, but the Plus is just a big iPhone while the Mini is a small iPad. Depending on one's expectations that distinction can be quite significant.
I agree,I can never adopt to using a large size phone instead of a tablet,(even 7.9 inch iPad Mini).
there is night and day difference is screen size and the experience is so much better on iPad Mini.

dingclancy24

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2016
The Mini 4 will be available for a long time like the Mini 2. They will not release a new Mini that is spec-wise better than the Air 2 and since the Air 2 won't be updated, the Mini won't too.

It is a testament to the 8x on how the Air 2 will last 4 years since release and still be fast enough. I see a scenario where the Air 2 will be obsolete at the same time as the iPad Pro 9.7. So that puts the Air 2 with a 6 year lifespan. Amazing!

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
So I sold my 1.5 year old iPad Mini 2 for a decent price since it started to feel slow and laggy and I never liked that life-less pale screen.

I had one myself (and the original Mini before it). Loved the size/portability, but same feeling on the "life-less pale screen"
now I've been without an iPad for over 2 weeks and I'm increasingly feeling the need for another one.

I am focused on 64GB Mini 4 but might consider 64GB Air 2 too,since they can be bought fore pretty much same price.
I was focused on the same two last October after I sold my Air 1 (which replaced my Mini 2). It was a really tough decision for me to decide between the two. The 8x processor swayed me a bit towards the Air 2. I think the Air two is a real "Longevity" model.

now do you think it's the wrong time to buy the Mini 4? was about Air 2?
I think as long as you buy at a good price, you can't go wrong with either. I find these iPads hold there value very well and can always be sold without taking too much of a hit. I bought my 64GB wifi Air 2 last Fall when Staples was selling them for $449. I'm going to hold out for the next iPad release before upgrading. I'm really loving the Air 2!

my main iPad usage will be web browsing ,reading,youtube,mail,note.

Last edited:

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
I debated back-and-forth over and over between getting an Air 2 or iPad Pro 9.7. In the end I felt spending $400+ on a 1.5 year old tablet (the Air 2) would be a mistake. Once I saw the $200 discount on the 128gb iPad Pro 9.7 w/ Apple Care at Best Buy I jumped on it and am quite pleased with my decision :)

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
It's crazy to me that the iPad Air 2 and Mini 4 are the same price. o_O I went for the Mini 4 as I wanted something super portable. My 12.9" iPP is still portable, but since I spent 1100+ dollars on it, I keep it at home. The mini 4 has a brighter screen and vivid better colors than the Air 2, it's super light while also still super powerful, and is just really fun to have. I forgot how thin and light it was/is. But getting an Air 2 wouldn't be bad at all, as someone else mentioned the Air 2 was really powerful and still is and may be the new "iPad 2" where it may last longer with iOS updates due to it's powerful 3 core processor, (all the other iPads have 2 cores.) I say do the old pros and cons thing, then go from there. :)

Kal.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
I'm leaning more towards Mini 4..
I just prefer the form factor of mini to Air (having owned both Air and Mini 2).
however I really don't like the fact that Mini 4 despite being 1 year newer than Air 2 has the weaker processor.obviously it performs very good now but who knows how much longer it can keep up.with iOS 10 and later.I know Mini 2 started to annoy me with later updates despite Apple's support,it definitely was laggy and slow specially with Safari recently.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
I'm leaning more towards Mini 4..
I just prefer the form factor of mini to Air (having owned both Air and Mini 2).
however I really don't like the fact that Mini 4 despite being 1 year newer than Air 2 has the weaker processor.obviously it performs very good now but who knows how much longer it can keep up.with iOS 10 and later.I know Mini 2 started to annoy me with later updates despite Apple's support,it definitely was laggy and slow specially with Safari recently.
The A8 inside is an annoyance only because the A8X is so nice, but the extra RAM will help with future updates, and the A8 is still a really good processor. I went for the mini for the size. I have the iPP 12.9" so buying the Air 2 made no sense as it was too close in size. But if you are concerned about the future, maybe wait for the future to see what they do... especially this coming Fall (I imagine updates to at-least one of the iPads will happen and maybe that's what you should do.) If you are concerned about the reliability and power of an iPad go for the 9.7" iPP when it has a sale or something, or again... see if they update the mini 4. :)

Kallum.

Last edited:

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
The mini 4 and air 2 are both great. The air 2 is thinner and lighter than the air 1. Sometimes I felt the mini was just a little to small just as sometimes I think the air is just a little to big. I think Apple could shrink the top and bottom bezels just a little to make the air even more perfect.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
Sometimes I felt the mini was just a little to small just as sometimes I think the air is just a little to big.
having own both Air 1 and Mini 2,thats exactly how I felt.but I think there were more times that I felt Air was a little too big than the times I felt Mini was a bit small.

my main problem at this time regarding choosing them is which one is more future proof.
there are some great responses above,but the issue remains.
I'm curently looking for a discounted (new) Mini 4 64GB since I dont think paying full price for it at this point is a good decision.

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
having own both Air 1 and Mini 2,thats exactly how I felt.but I think there were more times that I felt Air was a little too big than the times I felt Mini was a bit small.

my main problem at this time regarding choosing them is which one is more future proof.
there are some great responses above,but the issue remains.
I'm curently looking for a discounted (new) Mini 4 64GB since I dont think paying full price for it at this point is a good decision.

I think worrying about it being "future proof" is somewhat silly, especially if you're "only" looking two years out (if you were worried about it working in 5 years... Maaaaaaybe that would be a worry...).

Thoughts:
  • I seriously doubt there will be an iPad Air 3 - the 9.7" Pro is the replacement.
  • The next iPad Mini will (undoubtably) be the iPad Mini Pro - likely announced/released in October and likely with Pencil support. I doubt it will come at WWDC.
  • No matter what iPad you buy (Air 2, Mini 4) it will perform just fine under future OS revisions.
  • If you absolutely want something NOW, either the Mini 4 or the Air 2 are fine choices (though I would probably splurge for the 9.7" Pro vs. the Air 2).
  • I see nothing wrong (value wise) with paying full price for any of the current iPad Models (except the Mini 3....).
  • Focus on:
    • When you want it - Do you need it now or can you wait until the end of the year?
    • Screen Size - Small model or big model
    • Getting to the Apple Store (or retailer of your choice) - by car? Public Transport?

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Why not wait until after WWDC to see if they announce the new Mini? Either of these is a good buy now especially if you're not going to be using the pencil. As so many folks wisely say here, there will always be a new iPad, iPhone, Mac etc. If you want it now, buy it now. If you can wait, do so.

This boils down to what works best for you. The price point is so close now I wouldn't consider that an issue.

This ^^. If you can wait, do so. I, however, just upgraded my iPad Mini 2 to an iPad Mini 4. Couldn't be happier. Speed is very noticeable - same for thin/weight reductions. Bump in camera is nice too. I got the 64GB version (my iPad Mini 2 was a 16GB). Listening to Google Music on it right now. I plan on using it for several years so latest and greatest isn't what I go for. I got it for $450 on Amazon with no tax. :)

Reactions: kazmac

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

There is pretty much no chance that an iPad Mini 5 is being announced so soon. The Mini 4 is still too new, Apple has already launched 3 iPads (including the Mini 4) in the last 8 months, and they never announce iOS devices at the WWDC.

I think worrying about it being "future proof" is somewhat silly, especially if you're "only" looking two years out (if you were worried about it working in 5 years... Maaaaaaybe that would be a worry...).

I agree.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
There is pretty much no chance that an iPad Mini 5 is being announced so soon. The Mini 4 is still too new, Apple has already launched 3 iPads (including the Mini 4) in the last 8 months, and they never announce iOS devices at the WWDC.

While that is that probably true given the amount of time it took to make the Mini display as lovely as the iPad Mini 4 is, you never know.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
While that is that probably true given the amount of time it took to make the Mini display as lovely as the iPad Mini 4 is, you never know.

The Mini 4 was the first major upgrade to the Mini line in 2 years. I think it's inconceivable that they would replace it in 8 months. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see a significantly upgraded Mini until 2017. If they release a new Mini this year, it probably won't be until the fall/holiday season, and may just be an incremental upgrade, like the Mini 3 was.

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village

Yeah, I've been following Apple too long to say "Apple will never..." But odds are slim. If you're going to wait, you're probably waiting until October.
[doublepost=1464035899][/doublepost]
The Mini 4 was the first major upgrade to the Mini line in 2 years. I think it's inconceivable that they would replace it in 8 months. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see a significantly upgraded Mini until 2017. If they release a new Mini this year, it probably won't be until the fall/holiday season, and may just be an incremental upgrade, like the Mini 3 was.

I would honestly be astonished if the Mini doesn't get the Pencil treatment (though, I suppose some may consider that "incremental"...) this fall.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
The iPad Air 2 is better, not because it's bigger, but because of the A8X vs. the A8 in the mini.

But with normal use, they will both perform pretty much exactly the same, so it's really a matter of which size you'd rather have.

No, it's not a mistake to buy one now. Having the same amount of RAM as the smaller iPad Pro will ensure these 2 year old tablets last just about as long as the current gen 9.7" iPad.

Reactions: DSTOFEL
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.