Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I think Core Image is used by Aperture. The video card requirements are quite steep.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Aperture definitely uses it. I believe newer versions of GraphicConverter also use Core Image. PictureItPostage, which is an app for creating custom stamps from your iPhoto library uses it fairly heavily.

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
mduser63 said:
Aperture definitely uses it. I believe newer versions of GraphicConverter also use Core Image. PictureItPostage, which is an app for creating custom stamps from your iPhoto library uses it fairly heavily.

How does GraphicConverter utilize it?

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
i'm pretty sure Motion does, and FCP is supposed to now have some GPU utilization, which might be through core image, i'm not sure. and like people have said, Aperture and Photobooth do, as well as an increasing number of shareware apps. there is a great one called GL player or something that lets you manipulate video as you watch it while reducing CPU load in video playback, though it's not a finished product yet. check it out: http://www.cs.pdx.edu/~feelgood/

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
MacTruck said:
I know that core image shows the ripple effect but what else is it used for? Is it all hype?

It's actually a tactic to push high-end graphics cards on unsuspecting G5 buyers who don't know a line of code from a hole in the ground.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
MacTruck said:
How does GraphicConverter utilize it?
It's bare bones support right now. There is a menu with the Core Image filters, and each brings up a dialog where you can manually set the arguments. It's enough for experimentation, but not something that would be fun to use every day.

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
Also on the core image hit parade is Image tricks which seems to run just fine on my I ghz eMac. Quicktime 7 and the Tiger version of Preview also use core image

I think it's still very early to start looking for a major core image 3rd party software revolution, but it is pretty impressive, powerful technology. And there's still a long ways to go before we actually have Leopard in hand (which I'll bet expands core image even more into the UI) so it's likely developers of graphics/video oriented apps will have plenty of time to discover it.

Aperture was a good example for Apple to show off core image in a signature, high-end pro app. Eventually, developers will look at something like Aperture wonder "how did they do that?" and discover Tiger's core image api's. So Aperture is at least one way where Apple can demo core image and say, look, see what you can do? Kind of like the way Spotlight is used in System Preferences. I think it was more of a technology demo than a need to "search" control panels. But Spotlight is pretty nifty in System Preferences, not only with the ability to recognize MS Windows terminology-based queries, but also the marriage of the search feature with the the little graphic presentation. Pretty cool to do a search than have the result icon "spotlighted" in a graphic. So Tiger has intro'd some pretty cool stuff under the hood; it's up to developers and their imagination to take advantage of it.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
Motion and Aperture both use it - it's the main reason the graphics card requirements are so high. IIRC it requires a DX9 compatible card.

There's a bunch of shareware apps that use it.

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
greatdevourer said:
Quite a lot of stuff probably has support for it, but only to make animations smoother or whatever

that's kind of the point. read my coreimage FAQ. it just offloads graphics rendering to the video card, thus freeing your cpu of the task and in the process making it faster and more fluid because the GPU is better at handling the image processing than the CPU is.

it'll shine soon enough. MS is doing the same thing on windows, avalon can be GPU rendered as well. Apple just has a tiny bit of gain on them and when leopard comes out it'll probably be more mature and more stable.

not a lot of apps use it right now, but all the ones that should be using it are switching slowly or at least beginning to use it. Photoshop and Adobe products however will likely not use it unless you start emailing them en mass to demand it. they get enough emails they may actually consider it. but it would probably require a giant redesign and recode of the applications. never fear, the same will likely be true of Avalon and photoshop, so even windows users won't get it unless it's rewritten.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.