Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is Dark Sky worth the purchase?

• Total voters

pman555

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
I have heard good things about Dark Sky, but always pause before purchasing paid apps if there are other free apps out there that do the same thing.

I've been using Yahoo! Weather on my phone for the past year or so and have been OK with it and the app seems to be OK on the Watch as well. But I heard it's "glance" is really good on the Watch.

Is Dark Sky worth the money and is it that much better than the free weather apps out there?

Thanks in advance.

mkeith813

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2014
It's been incredible on my phone. Always lets me know just a few minutes before its about to rain right where I am. I haven't got my watch yet but im sure the same accuracy will get pushed to it. Back when I bought it, it was only $1.99 though.

Reactions: AJsAWiz

paul00

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2015
I love it on my Watch. I live in Scotland so it starts and stops raining about 15 times per hour chi makes Dark Sky invaluable. I rarely use the app itself - I usually just check the "Glance" or rely on really cool notifications (they include a nice, little chart) .

Reactions: Joausti1

DavidLynch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2015
Yes, it's worth it if you're only using it on the watch. I've replaced Apple's weather glance with it. That said, it's a fantastic app and I'll bet if you get it you'll use it on the iPhone too. It's notifications are incredibly accurate.

Metsfan7450

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2008
I find it much more reliable then the other apps. I use it a lot for outdoor sporting events for my kids to get an idea of when rain could be coming.

mbern1008

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2013
I got it when it was a free app. I don't think any weather app is worth more than $.99 if you can get it on discount, go for it, otherwise wait

Teride

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2015
So is it better than The Weather Channel or Clear Day...at least for the iPhone? I know a little off topic...;)

digduggler

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
I must be missing something - I don't see it in the notification center and never get notifications. Where is that set then?

Edit: Apparently you have to enable it in the app first, which I've never seen before....

Last edited:

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
Have you actually added the app to Notifications > Include, rather than Notifications > Do Not Include. You'll also need to have Locations Services enabled as Always, and set Notify level in the app on the home screen.

digduggler

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Have you actually added the app to Notifications > Include, rather than Notifications > Do Not Include. You'll also need to have Locations Services enabled as Always, and set Notify level in the app on the home screen.

It's actually NOT in the notification center until you turn it on in the app itself via the Notify button (neither as enabled nor as to enable). I triple checked. Location was set to Always. Once I set it in the app, it prompted me to go to Settings and turn it on. Very odd, never seen that before.

digduggler

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Not true. Notifications can be turned off in the app, but you can still turn on Allow Notifications by selecting the app in Settings > Notifications.

I'm telling you flat out it was not in the notification center. It was never registered there. I checked three times. Thus my absolute confusion.

Doesn't really matter if you believe me, perhaps it will help someone in the future...

haroldo

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2007
Kind of a silly question $400-$600 to buy a watch and we're asking about a $4 app?
Good app, worth the money
The tax on the watch is 7 times that, or more.

Reactions: Arran

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
so if i live where is RARELY rains... then i don't need this app?

since it seems that's its biggest draw: telling people when it's going to rain

geoffm33

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2010
I wouldn't bother and just use the stock weather app if rain/snow isn't a concern.

JoeTomasone

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2014
I think I prefer AccuWeather and Wunderground. More info and they actually tell you the city being reported on.

AccuWeather shows the expected precip in the App, but not on the Glance. Maybe they will change it?

ETA: It shows in the Glance when there is precip around.

Dark Sky

image.jpg

AccuWeather

image.jpg

WinderGround

image.jpg

Last edited:

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
so if i live where is RARELY rains... then i don't need this app?

since it seems that's its biggest draw: telling people when it's going to rain
Hmm. If it rarely rains, you may need it more.

Especially if you park your car with the top down, windows cracked or sunroof tilted (you know, since it never rains)

CobraPA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
Lansdale, PA, USA
I think I prefer AccuWeather and Wunderground. More info and they actually tell you the city being reported on.

Yeah, Dark Sky is telling you what will happen in your location, so it doesn't say a city. It uses your location and radar to predict rain on you. Other apps are good if all you want is a general city weather snapshot.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
It uses the Forecast.io API. So if you're not interested in rain/snow updates, there are others with the same data that are just regular up-to-date weather glances.

Saying that, check out Fresh Air. It's free with an IAP to use the calendar feature.

JoeTomasone

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2014
Yeah, Dark Sky is telling you what will happen in your location, so it doesn't say a city. It uses your location and radar to predict rain on you. Other apps are good if all you want is a general city weather snapshot.

Right, but I can't confirm that it has updated as I move around unless I watch it refresh. If I wake up and see that there's no rain at home for 120 minutes, then drive an hour away to Disney, I don't know if that 120 minutes is still for home or at Disney. There's not even an "Updated time" to give you a hint.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.