Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arribadia

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
I'll definitely be getting one, and it will definitely be after Tiger comes out, but there is always this nagging concern that a month after I get it, the new dual core ones roll into the stores.. or perhaps the newer revision low voltage G4s.. or maybe even the PBG5!

What do you guys think? Come on, share some thoughts :D

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
arribadia said:
I'll definitely be getting one, and it will definitely be after Tiger comes out, but there is always this nagging concern that a month after I get it, the new dual core ones roll into the stores.. or perhaps the newer revision low voltage G4s.. or maybe even the PBG5!

What do you guys think? Come on, share some thoughts :D

Once Tiger is out, there's no reason to wait any longer. The PBs were updated only two months ago. Since they have a typical product cycle of about 7-9 months, I wouldn't expect new PBs before September.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
...unless, of course, all Tiger rumors actually are false and Tiger isn't announced before the end of June, then you may just as well wait for next rev PowerBooks...

That said: I'm still optimistic about an announcement any day now... ;)

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
My advice is to buy one as soon as Tiger will ship on the PowerBooks.

arribadia

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
Ok.. anyway, I've been reading a lot about these hinge problems on Powerbooks, are they really that serious?

A broken hinge can be really hairy to fix :(

andrewfee

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2004
I'd say buy one if Tiger isn't announced by the 15th, and then just buy Tiger when it's released.

I've had two Rev.D 17" Powerbooks and haven't had a problem with the hinge, trackpad, hard drive etc.

Logik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
arribadia said:
Ok.. anyway, I've been reading a lot about these hinge problems on Powerbooks, are they really that serious?

A broken hinge can be really hairy to fix :(

i don't have a broken hinge but i do have a bad case of hinge creaking. it was perfect when i got it new, then it did it occassionally and now has gotten to the point of having to wait to close my powerbook after class is over so i don't interupt the professor.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
My thought would be to wait till WWDC in June. If they don't update then, there probably won't be an update until Fall. By then Tiger should come pre-installed, that is if predictions are true. (I still have some reservations.)

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
Logik said:
i don't have a broken hinge but i do have a bad case of hinge creaking. it was perfect when i got it new, then it did it occassionally and now has gotten to the point of having to wait to close my powerbook after class is over so i don't interupt the professor.

Check out Radtech, they sell some SWEET PowerBook/iBook hinge maintenence kits that include high quality metal lubricant to prevent exactly what you're describing.

-zach

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I was in the same boat as you, but I was pondering getting a PM G5. I decided that a new OS wasn't going to fix the issue that my G3 B&W wasn't able to edit photos fast enough, quickly edit videos, or run audio conversions in a timely fasion. I needed a faster computer, and Tiger wasn't going to do THAT much to make me wait to upgrade hardware.

I know many on here are waiting to upgrade so they can get a system preloaded with 10.3, and come with CD's for 10.4 . Since software that will run on 10.3 should work fine on 10.4, I don't see the need to have redundant OS's. Unless you are talking Clasic and OSX there is little point.

If you need a newer, faster computer, get it. Waiting for what is faster, and newer does not make sence. There will always be something faster, newer and with more cutting edge software then your computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.