Is it a good time to get a PB?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by arribadia, Apr 5, 2005.

  1. arribadia macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2005
    #1
    I'll definitely be getting one, and it will definitely be after Tiger comes out, but there is always this nagging concern that a month after I get it, the new dual core ones roll into the stores.. or perhaps the newer revision low voltage G4s.. or maybe even the PBG5!

    What do you guys think? Come on, share some thoughts :D
     
  2. Zaty macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2004
    Location:
    Switzerland
    #2
    Once Tiger is out, there's no reason to wait any longer. The PBs were updated only two months ago. Since they have a typical product cycle of about 7-9 months, I wouldn't expect new PBs before September.
     
  3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

    Mitthrawnuruodo

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2004
    Location:
    Bergen, Norway
    #3
    ...unless, of course, all Tiger rumors actually are false and Tiger isn't announced before the end of June, then you may just as well wait for next rev PowerBooks...

    That said: I'm still optimistic about an announcement any day now... ;)
     
  4. GodBless macrumors 65816

    GodBless

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2005
    #4
    My advice is to buy one as soon as Tiger will ship on the PowerBooks.
     
  5. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2004
    Location:
    New York
    #5
    Wait for Tiger. With all the rumors, you shoul dbe able to get a new PB with Tiger by the middle to end of April.
     
  6. arribadia thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2005
    #6
    Ok.. anyway, I've been reading a lot about these hinge problems on Powerbooks, are they really that serious?

    A broken hinge can be really hairy to fix :(
     
  7. andrewfee macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2004
    #7
    I'd say buy one if Tiger isn't announced by the 15th, and then just buy Tiger when it's released.

    I've had two Rev.D 17" Powerbooks and haven't had a problem with the hinge, trackpad, hard drive etc.
     
  8. Logik macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2004
    #8
    i don't have a broken hinge but i do have a bad case of hinge creaking. it was perfect when i got it new, then it did it occassionally and now has gotten to the point of having to wait to close my powerbook after class is over so i don't interupt the professor.
     
  9. wdlove macrumors P6

    wdlove

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2002
    #9
    My thought would be to wait till WWDC in June. If they don't update then, there probably won't be an update until Fall. By then Tiger should come pre-installed, that is if predictions are true. (I still have some reservations.)
     
  10. zach macrumors 65816

    zach

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2003
    Location:
    Medford
    #10
    Check out Radtech, they sell some SWEET PowerBook/iBook hinge maintenence kits that include high quality metal lubricant to prevent exactly what you're describing.

    -zach
     
  11. 840quadra Moderator

    840quadra

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2005
    Location:
    Twin Cities Minnesota
    #11
    I was in the same boat as you, but I was pondering getting a PM G5. I decided that a new OS wasn't going to fix the issue that my G3 B&W wasn't able to edit photos fast enough, quickly edit videos, or run audio conversions in a timely fasion. I needed a faster computer, and Tiger wasn't going to do THAT much to make me wait to upgrade hardware.

    I know many on here are waiting to upgrade so they can get a system preloaded with 10.3, and come with CD's for 10.4 . Since software that will run on 10.3 should work fine on 10.4, I don't see the need to have redundant OS's. Unless you are talking Clasic and OSX there is little point.

    If you need a newer, faster computer, get it. Waiting for what is faster, and newer does not make sence. There will always be something faster, newer and with more cutting edge software then your computer.
     

Share This Page