Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thestugots

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2022
I have a refurbished MBA (M2, 2022), it's 8 months old.

When I received it, the screen first smelt like glue. I didn't know who to tell.. but now I think this is part of the problem.

I ignored it.. now months down the line, a little dent in the frame caused a pixel loss that slowly turned into a hairline fracture... that's now become a fully fledged crack from edge to edge.

I've got a genius appointment booked but I can't help but wonder why the screen (and aluminium frame) is so unbelievably flimsy and if I, refurbished mac owner, am not alone?

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
My Apple-refurbished M2 Air's screen is gorgeous, and doesn't feel flimsy to me.

I'm coming off of an ol' 2011 MacBook Pro tank.

Is yours Apple-refurbished?

happyslayer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
I'm not sure what you mean by "little dent" in the frame. Is this something that was there when you got it, or something that happened while you owned it. Maybe a drop or something hit it or pressed against it in a laptop bag. There should be no dents in a MacBook frame. And the Genius Bar may not help (at least not under warranty) if they think you caused the damage.

thestugots

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2022
You say it's refurbished but by who? Apple or some other company? I have the M2 MBA, nothing flimsy about it.

Apple refurbished product. I don't know if that makes a difference. The little dent came from a slight knock against my desk wall... Never thought the quality would be so subpar.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Macbooks tend to be flimsy on the corners unfortunately, you got unlucky of hitting it at the perfect :( spot.

• Sad
Reactions: thestugots

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
The problems you’re having with your screen are to do with you striking the laptop against a wall and nothing to do with your M2 MBA being refurbished.

My M1 MBA appears to be solid however I am sure it’ll break if I crack it against a wall. That’s known as user error.

thestugots

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2022
The problems you’re having with your screen are to do with you striking the laptop against a wall and nothing to do with your M2 MBA being refurbished.

My M1 MBA appears to be solid however I am sure it’ll break if I crack it against a wall. That’s known as user error.

it was a knock to the frame at best, wasn't a strike.

the issue i have is the minuscule, hairline screen crack got progressively worse and worse, that's not normal!!

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Unfortunately, a "knock" sufficient to dent the frame will transfer force into the glass. Glass cracks, and cracks do spread. The fact that you knocked it in just the right place is simply bad luck.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016

the issue i have is the minuscule, hairline screen crack got progressively worse and worse, that's not normal!!
I think it is normal. MBA screens are more fragile than PCs as there’s no actual bezel. Even my M1 MBA is flat glass with no plastic bezel protecting the display. This makes the MBA more fragile than other laptops so you must be careful when moving them.

Reactions: dizmonk

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
probably normal, I have even noticed with my 15 MBA seems flimsy also, maybe due to size? whereas my MBP seems little more sturdy? Hard to describe..

dizmonk

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2010
I have a semi-related question. I don't find the screen flimsy but I do get wobbling very easily. Sometimes it happens when I type and it definitely happens when I slide the computer on the desk. Does everyone get this with this machine? I know it sounds very trivial.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
I have a semi-related question. I don't find the screen flimsy but I do get wobbling very easily. Sometimes it happens when I type and it definitely happens when I slide the computer on the desk. Does everyone get this with this machine? I know it sounds very trivial.
yeah had the same.... and seems harder to clean the screen than my pro i am NOT sure why? are they made out of something different?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.