Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewbieHereToLearn

macrumors newbie
Recommending the iPhone SE (2nd generation) today as a main phone is criminal, when countless Android mid-rangers offer 5G bands, huge OLED displays and 4000+ mAh batteries at the same price point. I purchased the SE 2 at launch and it was dated back then with its abysmal 3-hour battery life.

The only budget iPhone that should be considered today are the SE (3rd generation) and a refurbished 12 for a somewhat decent experience.

NewbieHereToLearn

macrumors newbie
Keeping in mind your positive input about iphone SE 2nd Gen is only a recommendation. Your listener will make the decision for himself or herself. I will add that much depends on how well you know one another. If a stranger recommends an expensive restaurant, fine. The stranger is unaware of your finances. Conversely, if a long time close friend raves about a phone whose cost can feed a family of four for one month minimum, I think it may feel a bit insensitive to your listener. I found mine 2+ years ago refurbished for $300. I will not mention where because I feel they failed me in after purchase issues. Have you considered purchasing one as a gift for your low income friend?

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
Yes. I get my 3 kids an iphone every 2 years preowned from swappa.com. Right now my oldest uses a XR. My twins use SE2. XR was $199. SE2's where $125. I'm also not low income but as you can see you can get the iPhone experience without breaking the bank.

Reactions: Macalicious2011

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Id highly recommend One Plus Nord CE phones, great specs for budget price. I got the Nord CE2 Lite for my dad and that cost £179 in Sept 2022 on Amazon UK and he loves it. The Nord CE 3 Lite seems to have gone up in price to £299 though, but keep checking and they should do a Lightning deal.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Recommending the iPhone SE (2nd generation) today as a main phone is criminal, when countless Android mid-rangers offer 5G bands, huge OLED displays and 4000+ mAh batteries at the same price point. I purchased the SE 2 at launch and it was dated back then with its abysmal 3-hour battery life.

The only budget iPhone that should be considered today are the SE (3rd generation) and a refurbished 12 for a somewhat decent experience.

On paper the iPhone SE2 2020 might seem poor value but it’s still a good phone. I recently purchased two for my GF and her eldest daughter.

For the latter, the most important thing was the ability to play Roblox……..without lag. It’s a demanding game. This is where the SE2 still shines and is a perfect phone for first phone or basic iPad. Browsing, YouTube and multi-tasking remains a smooth experience despite the age.

The same cannot be said for all budget Android Phone. Last year I purchased an Oppo A54. It was a revelation in how much value for money you can get when purchasing an Android phone for £125. 6 inch screen, headphones, 2 days battery life, facial recognition, usb cable, charger, phone case and screen protector all included. Bargain phone. However, YouTube was laggy, Android Auto was unusable because of the weak CPU. Roblox? Forget about it.

No phone under £200 is perfect and I’m sure there are better choices than the Oppo 54a. There are trade-offs to consider but I would certainly not write off the SE2 2020 because despite it’s age - it offers stable performance and can comfortably run games like Roblox and Minecraft without crashing which can’t be said for many devices that cost less than £200.

IMO it’s a good choice for kids, children or someone who isn’t a heavy user. If you can stretch an extra £50 or so to an iPhone X than do so. Alternatively spend the different on a case, screen protector and budget noise cancelling headphones :)

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
Yes if you give the person an iPhone as a birthday present. Did that with my 12 Pro Max. Now that I did that I still need a second phone so maybe a 15 PM - but I gotta tell you the new 15PM phone is looking a bit lame and keeping ram at 6gig was probably the last straw. Probably hold out for the 16PM or Ultra.

Anyway she needs a new phone and I have five - so…..

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Yes. I get my 3 kids an iphone every 2 years preowned from swappa.com. Right now my oldest uses a XR. My twins use SE2. XR was $199. SE2's where $125. I'm also not low income but as you can see you can get the iPhone experience without breaking the bank.
Also plans out there that give free phones as well. I got my kids iphone 13's last year for christmas, during black friday, they were $0 a month and zero upfront. After 2 years, you either trade to the next models or pay out $250 and theyre yours. Definitely the best route ive found works for where we live

RUGERMAN

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2010
I’m not sure why you feel the need to ask. If you feel you’re giving good advice you’ll be able to provide your own reasoning. If you’re not sure if your advice is any good, why provide it in the first place?
Besides there are tons of used devices available everywhere as well.
I have a friend in that position and she managed to find a used iPhone for $25 and absolutely loves it. Still take great pictures and phone calls, as well as text etc.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Although it has poor battery life, I consider iPhone SE 2016 the best SE iteration ever... Waiting for the 4th version to see if it will change my mind...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.