Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gfreek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2016
I have a minor niggle is there a way to hide but not remove the 'Recovery 10.x.x' Partition from my MacBook Boot Menu (Alt/Option)?

I just only want to see my 'Macintosh HD and Windows Partition when I Access the boot menu?

Any help is appreciated on how to hide this Recovery partition without deleting it.

gfreek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2016
Wow over 500+ views no one has any suggestions? Anyhow no worries I will answer my own question, after scouring the net and various blogs it turns out the reason the Recovery partition shows up in boot menu is because my Macintosh HD partition is in standard volume rather then corestorage volume.

So if I want to hide recovery partition from boot menu then I have to revert back to corestorage volume for Macintosh HD partition. If I now wanted access recovery partition then I just press command + R on boot up.

I hope this is useful if anyone come across the same niggle.

Last edited:
Reactions: TitouDoc

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
An easy solution is to enable FileVault and that generally has hidden the partition. The only other way to do it is involved with running a pre-boot script each time and can get convoluted if you don't have a MDM managing the device....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.