Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mammoth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
Canada
I like to keep Folding@Home running on my Intel iMac 24/7, but at night I would like to turn the screen off but keep the CPU going.. is there a way?

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
System Preferences -> Energy Savings -> Turn Off Screen After 1 Minute of Inactivity... or something like that.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
^^^^^

But that would be nice if there was a screen button, like every other screen in the whole wide world.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
Can't you just turn it to 0 bars in brightness? That's so much faster on the keyboard...

bbrosemer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2006
.....Um wouldnt this be the same as wondering if i can turn of any laptop monitor...?

tkidBOSTON

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2005
The Hub of the Universe
bbrosemer said:
.....Um wouldnt this be the same as wondering if i can turn of any laptop monitor...?

No, because on a notebook, turning the brightness to zero kills the backlight. On an iMac, setting the backlight to zero doesnt turn it off completely.

I find this, by far, the most annoying thing on my iMac.

bbrosemer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2006
tkidBOSTON said:
No, because on a notebook, turning the brightness to zero kills the backlight. On an iMac, setting the backlight to zero doesnt turn it off completely.

I find this, by far, the most annoying thing on my iMac.
How am I killing my backlight if its at Zero?

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
bbrosemer said:
How am I killing my backlight if its at Zero?
He means kills in that it turns it off not as in it does damage to the backlight; i.e. kill the lights.

Oh, and the first reply is the best and, as far as I can tell, only solution to the OP's question. My CPU never sleeps but my display does after 30 minutes.

jimbo11

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2009
I was searching Google for the fix for a problem I'm having (when I turn the screen off, every once in a while it decides to wake up on me even when I'm not touching anything, and I don't know why - this is annoying at night), and came across this question, which I notice hasn't been answered, so I registered just to give this answer, because it's very nifty.

On every Mac, you can turn off the screen immediately with the keystroke ctrl-shift-eject. You don't need to change your sleep settings or download any apps or anything.

I hope some of the people who were asking this question see this, heh.

Enuratique

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008
I was searching Google for the fix for a problem I'm having (when I turn the screen off, every once in a while it decides to wake up on me even when I'm not touching anything, and I don't know why - this is annoying at night), and came across this question, which I notice hasn't been answered, so I registered just to give this answer, because it's very nifty.

On every Mac, you can turn off the screen immediately with the keystroke ctrl-shift-eject. You don't need to change your sleep settings or download any apps or anything.

I hope some of the people who were asking this question see this, heh.

ZOMG! I've had my iMac for over a year now and did not know this... Like other posters this has pissed the ever loving piss out of me at night when it decides to wake up momentarily. Thanks for taking the time to register this - as I don't like to download third party apps for something so simple.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
Just press on the keyboard control + shift + eject. That should do the trick.

Update: looks like someone already got the answer before I did. :)

hodgie1123

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
Yep!

To turn the mac screen off just turn the brightness down to the bottom by the buttons at the top of the keyboard and that will turn the screen off altogether.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.