Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2003
UK
Hi guys hope some one can help out here...

Ive just got hold of an orginal i mac dead cheap and its not got firewire i think that it was only put in on the dv models of which i have no idea how you tell them apart . only a reacent mac switcher . Any hows i was wondering if i could put firewire into the sytem some how

its a g3 i mac blue 400hmz 128 sdram running osx jag

thats the most i can give deatils on as i havent actualy got it here yet its on its way from the store on tuesday . anyone know if i can add firewire for later purches of i pod and an external HD as its only got a 6 gig hardrive...

Oh and as far as networking old i macs with new i macs and e macs and windows systems has anyone had any problems with them......... just curious at the moment got my eyes on an e mac....
Thanks
Sabenth:confused:

Mighty Mac

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2002
you got it.

I think You have it already. I have an iMac G3 400mhz and it has 2 Fire wire ports. Wait to you get it there should be 2 6pin fire wire 400 ports on the right side near the USB and all other ports.

you can also look up the information on your iMac at Apples knolage online database.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=43099 copy and paste in this link for a description.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
Your right, a 400 MHz machine should have Firewire.

I had a 400 MHz iMac DVSE and it had Firewire ports right where you described them.

Sabenth, do you know what color the iMac is? Certain colors, such as Graphite, only came in certain models, such as the DVSE.

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2003
UK
Thanks Guys i am trying to get info from the store as i type now but probaly wont get a response till monday when i am back at work....

as far as i know its blue thats the best i can tell you as ive bought it online so the disctipiton was a bit vague ....

some1 said that it did have then some 1 said nope it aint got them so ill just have to wait and see ..... but what i really want ot know is if it dosnt can i put firewire on it.... as i have intentions of buying an i pod and would rather avoid using it on windows just in case it causes windows to phewwww thats to nice to be used on here piss off.... REST.......

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
no, i don t think it will be possible to put a firewire card into.
But I m pretty sure there are 2 Firewire 400 ports... no garantee thought.

mislabeledstar

macrumors regular
May 12, 2003
Los Angeles
according to what http://www.everymac.com has listed, all the 400mhz imacs were DV models...... besides that, i believe all imacs have firewire.

on another note, you could easily get an external hard drive for the imac........ if it has firewire, go that way, it's faster, but you could use an external usb too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.