Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
kompozer is derived from Nvu, I don't see any problem with it, it makes clean, compact code, and easy to operate CSS editor. add 100 div together, you can make whatever page you want easily. and support every browser.

Even below Kompozer?

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Why not invest a weekend in learning a new medium to express your design. :)

Because there is no such thing?
iWeb is an excellent tool, and even a novice can have a pretty nice site in no time at all. Quite intuitive. Dreamweaver is INCREDIBLY complex, and not only that but your source material like pictures need to done from scratch. Took me YEARS to learn, and frankly, I think they were in some ways wasted years. Unless you want to start a storefront or have some other compelling reason to learn high-end tools, only a fool (in my very humble opinion) would "waste" time with endless nights trying to make their site work at all.

ChicoWeb

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2004
California
Because there is no such thing?
iWeb is an excellent tool, and even a novice can have a pretty nice site in no time at all. Quite intuitive. Dreamweaver is INCREDIBLY complex, and not only that but your source material like pictures need to done from scratch. Took me YEARS to learn, and frankly, I think they were in some ways wasted years. Unless you want to start a storefront or have some other compelling reason to learn high-end tools, only a fool (in my very humble opinion) would "waste" time with endless nights trying to make their site work at all.

No such thing as what? Learning HTML? I beg to differ. Not sure how learning HTML as a designer is a waste, it's a valuable tool and an asset going into a job interview. I guess if you want to use canned templates and crappy code forever, and lock yourself into one app then go for it.

eclipse

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2005
Sydney
Kompozer Kompozer Kompozer!

iWeb sounds like it messes up the code. If we all rally around an open source project like Kompozer, with some members donating website templates to the project, can you imagine what we could achieve?

Sorry, I'm just a big fan of the open source world... I've received LOTS of help from the Kompozer crowd, and am slowly gaining confidence with it... and it's free.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
No such thing as what? Learning HTML? I beg to differ. Not sure how learning HTML as a designer is a waste, it's a valuable tool and an asset going into a job interview. I guess if you want to use canned templates and crappy code forever, and lock yourself into one app then go for it.

I think he meant in terms of picking it up over a weekend like the post he responded to mentions. Learning HTML alone takes some time.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
Plenty of people use iWeb, Rapidweaver or Sandvox for business web sites. I have no problems with people defending code and more flexible technology, but lets not be snobbish :p

Not all businesses need or would even benefit from a very advanced online presence.

ChicoWeb

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2004
California
I think he meant in terms of picking it up over a weekend like the post he responded to mentions. Learning HTML alone takes some time.

I'm not saying learning every last attribute in CSS, but to create a website using CSS in a weekend doesn't seem that far our of reach. In all honesty, 4 or 5 years ago, I nerded out one weekend and created a all CSS site to start adapting to newer technologies on the net. Guess I'm just talking from experience.

jaypunkrawk

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2007
Lewisville, TX
My own site with iWeb

Can I use iWeb for the basic layout and then go to DreamWeaver to add in cool stuff like Flash? I never found it easy to layout my webpage in DreamWeaver. Of course iWeb lets seems to give me too much freedom in positioning of items, and I don't really like that. I like my components having set locations.

Here's my site so far. I want to make some interactive lessons with Flash. I already have charts for the alphabets made in Flash. Made them a few years ago for my own website before I started this idea...

Nihongo no Nikka

Feedback is much appreciated. Thanks!

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Can I use iWeb for the basic layout and then go to DreamWeaver to add in cool stuff like Flash? I never found it easy to layout my webpage in DreamWeaver. Of course iWeb lets seems to give me too much freedom in positioning of items, and I don't really like that. I like my components having set locations.

Here's my site so far. I want to make some interactive lessons with Flash. I already have charts for the alphabets made in Flash. Made them a few years ago for my own website before I started this idea...

Nihongo no Nikka

Feedback is much appreciated. Thanks!

From what I've seen I would say no. iWeb doesn't store the files in an HTML format, just exports as HTML. I'm not sure how DreamWeaver would react to having the exported files put into it, but wouldn't expect too much. Though I don't see any harm in trying.

Burnspot

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2008
North Carolina
I've been using Dreamweaver for years alongside BBEdit, NoteTab, and others for professional and personal websites. iWeb's kind of a relaxing break when just wanting to do a quickie personal site; it's drop-dead easy and I think provides a perfect avenue for the average Joe to exercise the creative angle Mac's tend to expose.

If it works for you, great. If not, there's literally hundreds of alternatives out there. :D

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
From what I've seen I would say no. iWeb doesn't store the files in an HTML format, just exports as HTML. I'm not sure how DreamWeaver would react to having the exported files put into it, but wouldn't expect too much. Though I don't see any harm in trying.

You can do it, you need to export the iWeb site first then open the exported site in Dreamweaver. From what I've seen iWeb does make messy code however if it's for a home user it probably isn't going to be much of an issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.