Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Came across MainMenu in Mac OS X Downloads today, and it seems like a very handy utility:
About MainMenu
MainMenu is an easy-to-use menu bar item that allows you to run a large set of Mac OS X maintenance, cleaning and optimization tasks. MainMenu can repair permissions, update prebindings, clean system and users caches, empty many browsers caches/history, force empty the trash, clean logs, repair disks and much more.

Most tasks provide feedback in the log window during execution. The batch task function allows you to run many routines at once. Bug reports, feature requests, feedback (positive as well as negative) and anything else are welcome. MainMenu is and will always be free, but donations to support development and future projects are appreciated.
The only thing is that I've not heard of it before, and I'm always a bit skeptical about starting to use new and unknown low-level utilities. So has anybody (more daring than me) tried this and, if so, can you recommend it?

Benjamin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2003
Portland, OR
I have to say its very handy, but their default menu icons suck. Anyway the menu is basically a free stripped down version of say Cocktail, but not as powerful. Has the basic features and etc etc. Personally you don't really need it if you don't preform the operations it does alot.

rakka

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2005
>>but not as powerful. Has the basic features and etc etc.

For maintenance, it does much more than just the basic features. Look at the functions carefully and compare it to cocktail. :)

So I wouldn't call it stripped down.

Also, it is new, that is true. I released it in February 2005, only a few months ago.

Regards,

Rakka

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.