Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Newgoblin49

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 29, 2024
Con Artist doesn’t mean what you think it means.

He uses information he is given and then shares it in a broad manner so as to not divulge his sources or risk a lawsuit from Apple. Sometimes the information is wrong. That doesn’t equate to con artist.

I mean if he is allowed as many mistakes as he is now without calling him out on it, wouldn’t that technically mean you and I could put out some garbage data and do the same thing

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
clearly, he has multiple sources inside Apple. it's up to Bloomberg's editors to determine whether they are reliable or not.

if he continues to report poor information or if his sources are compromised, he'll need a new job.

not sure what con artist has to do with anything.

mickobizzle

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2023
"con artist" is the wrong term, but it clearly got me to click! NICE JOB! (something i have come to expect from 9to5, but not here)

if I were leading apple's security team, gurman would be at the very top of my "leaky list" of people to foil and plug up his insider sources.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
clearly, he has multiple sources inside Apple. it's up to Bloomberg's editors to determine whether they are reliable or not.

if he continues to report poor information or if his sources are compromised, he'll need a new job.

Bloomberg, the paragon of journalism that still hasn’t retracted their big story about Apple, Amazon, etc servers having a secret Chinese spy chip in them.

I think his job is safe…

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
"con artist" is the wrong term, but it clearly got me to click! NICE JOB! (something i have come to expect from 9to5, but not here)

if I were leading apple's security team, gurman would be at the very top of my "leaky list" of people to foil and plug up his insider sources.
I don't have any doubt, given Gurman's public profile, that Apple know exactly who he is, and amongst his other sources, feed him actual details when they want them out there. I also think they know how wildly wrong he can be, and enjoy the misdirection too. To me, the only question is how many of his wrong stories are deliberately fed by Apple. Pretty certainly a few if not more.

As to Gurman himself... he's doing the job a market analyst is supposed to.

Reactions: kc9hzn

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Given the number of guesses he has got Wrong. Is it safe to assume that he is a con artist?
No. He makes predictions based on partial, and more importantly, changing information. Apple changes their planning all the time, based on many factors. That a prediction fails to materialize doesn't mean that it wasn’t reasonable based on the information available at the time. And that’s how the predictions should be read. It's also usually worth it to read the Bloomberg source article, and not just MacRumors' cherry-picked and sometimes distorting summary.

Postal

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2002
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Gurman is often very accurate — that's why people hinge on his every word. He has sources inside Apple, and it's clear they haven't been tracked down (at least, not yet).

If there's an issue, it's what kiasma said: Apple's plans change. A product that was set to launch in March might be pushed to May when the software isn't ready yet. It might cancel a feature because it doesn't work out. But there's no reason to believe Gurman is trying to mislead readers; that's not why he was hired.

Reactions: xxray

BigBellyBelcher

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2024
His claim about new watch bands for the AW10 has cost Apple a lot of money as us looney band collectors all gasped and did not buy at least not like usual.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
No. He makes predictions based on partial, and more importantly, changing information. Apple changes their planning all the time, based on many factors. That a prediction fails to materialize doesn't mean that it wasn’t reasonable based on the information available at the time. And that’s how the predictions should be read. It's also usually worth it to read the Bloomberg source article, and not just MacRumors' cherry-picked and sometimes distorting summary.

Yep, it’s almost like some people have never worked in the real world. Things can change. Projects can fail. Otherwise, we’d already have a 5G modem and an Apple Car today.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
I really don’t understand the hate you guys have towards him. Is it frustrating when he’s wrong? Yes. But do you just want him and all the other sometimes inaccurate leakers (which would be all of them) to go away and for all rumors to dry up? Then MacRumors can only on make articles on news that comes straight from Apple’s newsroom.

Reactions: gusmula

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
No, he's not. And I don't understand why people feel the need to make him the new Jon Prosser (remember when he predicted the Watch was getting a whole new flat-sided design?). If you actually read his articles, his analysis is solid and super smart. Sometimes he gets it wrong, although in this case it sounds like he was reporting Apple's original plans (a March launch) and then reported the updated plans after Apple themselves had to change them due to OLED supply issues. He's not a con artist, nor is he a clairvoyant.

Last edited:

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
The disconnect between the near compulsive, angry need of some on MacRumors to constantly belittle analysts and their predictions while being regular visitors to a website that would not exist were it not for farming rumors from as many sources as possible, regardless of veracity, is amusing to the nth degree. I wouldn't be surprised if articles discussing predictions, right or wrong, from Kuo, Gurman, etc. are some of the highest traffic, and therefore most profitable, for MR.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Con Artist doesn’t mean what you think it means.

Doesn't meet the definition.

a person who tricks other people in order to get their money.
Mark Gurman has "conned" Bloomberg into keeping him on as an employee 🤣

Last edited:

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Yep, it’s almost like some people have never worked in the real world. Things can change. Projects can fail.
Is that you, Mark "but obviously things can still theoretically change" Gurman? 🤣

Gurman.png

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
What a weird microcosm of celebrity culture. No one outside of Apple fans or tech nerds (myself included) really knows who this guy is, yet everyone who does has a strong opinion whether you hate him or feel the need to defend him for some reason.

Working at Bloomberg, he'll be fine. There are no consequences for shoddy journalism there. Still not corrected, withdrawn, or retracted (as Journalism actually requires): https://www.bloomberg.com/news/feat...ny-chip-to-infiltrate-america-s-top-companies

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I really don’t understand the hate you guys have towards him. Is it frustrating when he’s wrong? Yes. But do you just want him and all the other sometimes inaccurate leakers (which would be all of them) to go away and for all rumors to dry up? Then MacRumors can only on make articles on news that comes straight from Apple’s newsroom.

It's a bit of envy mixed with lack of understanding.

There's a misconception that leaks come straight from reliable sources. Verifying information with engineers and suppliers takes time. Gurman may intentionally delay leaks to confuse and build composite sources. Apple's leadership decisions and engineering progress are fluid.

Look at WWDC's announced iOS features. Many get pushed back 3-6 months after September. Apple clearly has a dynamic development process.

Remember the high-profile kid leaker from 2022-2023? Their accuracy wasn't sustainable. His sister was quickly caught in a canary trap. Established leakers like Gurman and Kuo understand this. They prioritize long-term survivability with 70% accuracy over short-term 100% accuracy.

AF_APPLETALK

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2020
He's more of a fake. The reality is that he has no actual authority or value, his value reputation came from leakers who dried up when he went corporate. He's riding on his coattails and is a fool if he isn't figuring out something else to pivot into.

Bob Cringely had concrete authority, but even he's spun out at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.