Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
IMG_0102.png
IMG_0101.jpeg

iPhone was constantly restarting for some reason for few hours.

Then it stabilized. There is no panic logs on diagnostic.

Then it seems that charging takes very long time as you can see, from 6:00PM-9:00PM, the phone was on charger, but only charging from 60%-88%.

Then in the morning, it took 3 hours only charging from 83%-91%.

Off the charger for few minutes, then as soon as open Camera app, the phone will restart, battery goes down to 10%. Restart again, back to 90%. However, when iPhone shows 90%, phone will restart as soon as Camera app launches.

Finally, put phone back to charger, now charging normally.

The battery health shows as 92%. Apple won’t replace battery health is above 80%. So if the battery is the issue, then what should I do?

Reactions: ApplesAreSweet&Sour

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
If it’s now working normally, just a software glitch. I’d ignore it.

I don’t know. Not it stuck at 95% for like 20 minutes and won’t go up.

I might have to reset iPhone and see if it is software glitch.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Try another charger. If a charger is only putting out a couple mA, it will register as charging but take forever to do it.

If that doesn’t help — reset the phone as new

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

JonaM

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2017
Definitely try charging with a cable and see if the problem persists - that will tell you if it's specific to wireless charging/charger or the battery generally

boak

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2021
The battery health shows as 92%. Apple won’t replace battery health is above 80%. So if the battery is the issue, then what should I do?
You can pay to have it replaced. You just can’t use AC+ coverage.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Good suggestions thus far. In addition to trying a different charger, preferably use Apple genuine cable and ‘brick’.

Beyond the already made suggestions, I recommend doing a calibration:

1. Charge to 100%, and keep charging it for at least two more hours — or however high it will charge.
  2. Unplug your iPhone and use it until it automatically turns off due to low battery.
  3. Again, charge your iPhone uninterrupted (i.e., don’t disconnect from charger at any point) until 100%.
If necessary, you can repeat this process back-to-back.

Reactions: Aoligei and Populus

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Off the charger for few minutes, then as soon as open Camera app, the phone will restart, battery goes down to 10%. Restart again, back to 90%. However, when iPhone shows 90%, phone will restart as soon as Camera app launches.

Highly likely battery is defective.

High drain app like Camera will reveal defective cells with high internal resistance.

Reactions: souko

motorazr

macrumors 6502
View attachment 2366436 View attachment 2366435

iPhone was constantly restarting for some reason for few hours.

Then it stabilized. There is no panic logs on diagnostic.

Then it seems that charging takes very long time as you can see, from 6:00PM-9:00PM, the phone was on charger, but only charging from 60%-88%.

Then in the morning, it took 3 hours only charging from 83%-91%.

Finally, put phone back to charger, now charging normally.

Take It to Apple or call for a diagnostic, and that way there’s a repair log of the issue occurring if they don’t see any failing tests.

It could be a failing battery; sometimes batteries that are swelling behave this way, despite reporting normal charge health. Apple diagnostics may report a different failure if that’s the case (if the issue is bad enough or persistent enough) —

likewise you can inspect the enclosure for signs the case is being pushed apart. Apple Store techs can also do that; these days swollen batteries are harder to see until quite swollen thanks to stronger adhesive / oled doesn’t show a color distortion like LCD when pressure is applied from behind.

Reactions: Aoligei and Populus

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
Did you use any cheap or unknown quality chargers? Those can cause damage to PMIC.

I tried:

1. Old iPad 10W charger with USB lighting cable
2. Google Pixel USB-C charger with USBC-Lightning
3. An battery bank.

Currently, it seems the phone will charge, but once it hits 90% above, charging gets stuck. It will stay on for very very long time and not going to 100%.

For example: it will charge to 95% and stuck at 95%. Then reboot , it drops to 93%… the stuck at 93%. Once it drops below 90%, it will charge back to whatever it wishes (above 90%) and stay at same percentage.

I think it maybe the battery being old and start showing. I need to wipe iPhone clean, to rule out software problems.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
You can pay to have it replaced. You just can’t use AC+ coverage.

Okay. I will try contact Apple for new battery. Will they replace battery if display is replaced with third party display?

boak

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2021
Okay. I will try contact Apple for new battery. Will they replace battery if display is replaced with third party display?
I have no experience with that. Maybe others can answer your question?

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
I have no experience with that. Maybe others can answer your question?

The phone was in very bad shape when I brought as used. The back glass is completely shuttered and the front glass is scratched as hell with few hairline cracks.

But I got this for like $200 dollars. The local phone repair store was running the promo where if I gets screen replaced and sign up for a phone services, the screen replacement will be free.

So I ended up ask them to change back glass and screen, for very little money. Signed up for phone services and cancelled within a day (so no cost of getting new phone plan).

So I pretty much gets a good iPhone 12 Pro for very little money. Used for year and now the battery started acting up.

I am pretty sure it is original battery, since there is no “Unknown Battery” messages and there is also no “Genuine Apple Part” message.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
All batteries are dying.
Mine reached 92% about 2 years ago and showed all kinds of crazy ups & downs, and said it was time to service & all that. It's at 86% now, still lasts all day, and I couldn't care less. I'll replace that battery when it starts on fire.

Reactions: hagjohn and Aoligei

Alan Ng

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2018
If you have the applecare + , you can try to contact Apple and show your batterary graph to them.
They can retreive 7 days battery record from your iphone.
They may replace it

macsforme

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2007
If you have a Mac with the application “CoconutBattery,” you can connect your phone to your Mac, open the iOS Device tab in CoconutBattery, and it will tell you some stats on your phone’s battery health.

The built-in battery health indicator in the iOS settings is garbage, so I would not rely on it. Also, with multiple 3rd-party repairs, I doubt Apple will repair the phone, but you could have another 3rd-party shop do the battery replacement.

motorazr

macrumors 6502
Muddy question.

If the display is damaged in repair, you may have to pay for it.

Many third party displays use adhesive that doesn’t withstand the suction to remove it from the body again, and the display falls apart when opening the device to replace the battery.

I didn’t see you post which model it is?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.