Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nonentity

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
I have a 20" 2.4 Alu iMac i purchased last October, since about March I have been able to hear my hard drive reading/seeking, lately it has been getting a lot louder (if you want to hear it here's a Link)

So now I'm beginning to think there's a problem with it, especially as so many people claim to have near silent iMacs, and it's really beginning to bug me. This noise is present when loading apps, loading webpages and basically anything that requires it to be read from the drive.
So do i need to contact applecare? (I live in the UK and the nearest 'proper' Apple store is about 50 miles away so i am unable to take it in).

Thanks in Advance!

Nonentity

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
It doesn't seem louder than the fan, I think you're being fussy.

Just to clarify i cannot hear the fan, the file is really bad as i used my camcorder to record (all i have at the moment!) so you can hear the mechanics of the 'corder and not the fan. Other than this hard drive noise it is completely silent. However, you could be right, i might just be fussy.

TheHitcher

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2008
Manchester, UK
Have you tried running Disk Utility on your hard drive to see if there is a anything wrong with it?, it might be able to repair it if it's only a minor problem.

Nonentity

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
Yup, verified and repaired with no problems, my windows partition did have an unknown error first time round, however this vanished the second time i ran it. I have not tried the applecare diagnostics disk yet though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.