Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vniow

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
I had some fingerprint marks on my 17" Viewsonic flat CRT that I tried to tub out with the sleeve of my shirt, however, when I did that, there were these small streaks across the screen where I had rubbed them out, I then took a rag and tried to clean the rest of it, but those marks are still there and I can't seem to take them out, did I scratch my monitor or is there some hope left for it?

-V

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: is my monitor scratched?

Originally posted by vniow
I had some fingerprint marks on my 17" Viewsonic flat CRT that I tried to tub out with the sleeve of my shirt, however, when I did that, there were these small streaks across the screen where I had rubbed them out, I then took a rag and tried to clean the rest of it, but those marks are still there and I can't seem to take them out, did I scratch my monitor or is there some hope left for it?

-V

All decent computer monitors have a anti-reflective coating on them. There are some products out there said to repair that coating if it's scratched. I would recommend getting a product specifically for cleaning monitors and trying that.

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota
I don't believe that you could scratch your monitor with your sleeve unless you hit it with a button or something. As MacBandit has said, try something that's specific to CRT's aand that should do the trick. Your sleeve probably just smeared the oil that's on your skin, and a dry rag wouldn't clean it up.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Not sure exactly how my sleeve scratched it (there were no buttons) but they're there and they're not going away so I guess I'll try some CRT cleaner thingie or something..

Thanx,

-V

Are they visible only when the monitor is off? Also if you look at your monitor from and ange with the light reflecting off of it does the monitor have a purple tint to it? Is the scratch in the surface of that purple tint?

vniow

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Originally posted by MacBandit
Are they visible only when the monitor is off? Also if you look at your monitor from and ange with the light reflecting off of it does the monitor have a purple tint to it? Is the scratch in the surface of that purple tint?

Visible all the time, they have this annoying distortion where the streaks are, they're a bit more visible when its off but they're still there, really annoying, blah.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Visible all the time, they have this annoying distortion where the streaks are, they're a bit more visible when its off but they're still there, really annoying, blah.

That doesn't sound good. If you take your finger nail and drag it over the scratch to you feel your nail hang in it?

MacBandit

macrumors 604
A little, not a lot though, if it is indeed a scratch, its not a very deep one.

If you can feel it at all there is nothing you can do. Sorry.

I feel for you I have a 32" Sony WEGA and about a month ago it some how got scratched. I didn't do it. There's 3 or 4 4" long scrathes right near the center. I think it's from a diamond ring. We sit far enough from it though that I can't see them unless it is off.

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota
Well that sucks. I hope that it's not in the way. It sounds like your monitor is still usable, which means that you can't really justify getting a new one. That sucks even more.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by pivo6
Well that sucks. I hope that it's not in the way. It sounds like your monitor is still usable, which means that you can't really justify getting a new one. That sucks even more.

You could always accidentally knock it on the floor bracking the screen or it could be stolen or something and your home insurance will cover it.;)

vniow

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Originally posted by MacBandit
You could always accidentally knock it on the floor bracking the screen or it could be stolen or something and your home insurance will cover it.;)

Hee hee....

I think I may still have a warranty on it, its been replaced once for horrible moire lines, other than that its an excellent monitor and would recommend it to anyone who needed a budget 17" CRT, not sure I'll go off and replace it though, I've had it for awhile so I'm not sure if its even valid and I don't want to go through a lot of trouble to fix this because I'm trying to move out of the house as soon as I can and I'm not sure if I can even afford to keep a computer at first so I guess I'll just wait...

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Hee hee....

I think I may still have a warranty on it, its been replaced once for horrible moire lines, other than that its an excellent monitor and would recommend it to anyone who needed a budget 17" CRT, not sure I'll go off and replace it though, I've had it for awhile so I'm not sure if its even valid and I don't want to go through a lot of trouble to fix this because I'm trying to move out of the house as soon as I can and I'm not sure if I can even afford to keep a computer at first so I guess I'll just wait...

Hmm, great timing things often get lost, stolen, or broken in a move.;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.