Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beerseagulls

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 18, 2021
is my old iPhone 12 Mini still usable now that the battery health had dropped to 82% with 2.5 hours of screen time? Otherwise, it's in perfect mint condition. It has never been outside of the Otterbox Defender Case.(except when I take the case off to cleaning the case in soapy water) Well, yes, I know it's still usable... but I don't want its battery to suddenly die on me when I'm traveling internationally.

I keep the phone around as a spare and travel phone. One of the reason is that some of the foreign countries that I travel to do not allow eSIMs for non-residents or tourists.... so my daily driver iPhone 14 Pro Max without SIM card slot is kind of useless.

the phone is on AppleCare on a monthly basis.(charged to my AppleCard each month)

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Probably not dying soon.
If u are so concerned about battery why don’t you replace it?

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Well, yes, I know it's still usable... but I don't want its battery to suddenly die on me when I'm traveling internationally.
I agree, "Probably not dying soon.”

I only recently set aside my iPhone X, which currently has ~75% battery health, and will probably be used as an action or otherwise extra camera/camcorder and, similar to you, for any international traveling in which physical SIM cards are needed/preferred.

the phone is on AppleCare on a monthly basis.(charged to my AppleCard each month)
With this especially, I suggest taking advantage of a battery replacement when the battery health estimate drops to 79% (or lower).

In the meantime, I recommend performing a recalibration every month or so to keep the battery health and charge state percentages as accurate as possible:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.