Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bcleland

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2003
Nashville, TN
If I bought a g5 today through the apple store website would I get Panther installed?

looking at the 1.8 G5 with extreme lust
also should I get the ram from apple or install it myself. I am leaning toward two 512 sticks.

thanks for the help

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
Well, you could definitely qualify for the Up-To-Date purchase, but I don't know about getting pre-installed. If it ships before, say, the 18th, I doubt it, but there's a possibility that they'll do it if it ships the week immediately preceeding Panther's release.

Unless you're really in dire straights, I'd wait on ordering so you can have it preinstalled or bundled at no extra charge.

jamesatzones

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2003
Seattle
Panther is not installed on the G5, it does qualify through for the up to date program. I would recommend adding the RAM yourself, say Kingston or Edge. The G5 is so beautiful to open up that I look for excuses to open up the case. Installing RAM is easy, and in most cases more cost effective. Another route would be to order from companies that offer free RAM promos, you will pay for install but will get a really good deal. IM me if you would like me to quote a system for you...

ArchiStudentG5

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2003
Fayetteville, Arkansas
So... Since I ORDERED my G5 in July and it SHIPPED in late September (Edu order) will I be able to upgrade for no cost? Should I expect the obvious... that I have to purchase Panther?

I probably answered my own questions...:rolleyes: :D

ArchiStudentG5

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2003
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Originally posted by applemacdude
You will get to buy it through the up to date program for 25.81....

Actually......................

Items you have selected Part No. Est Ship Qty Unit Price Ext. Price
Mac OS X Panther Up-to-Date
Unit cost reflects standard shipping and handling M9231LL/A PM Delivery 10/24 1 $19.95 $19.95

Subtotal: $19.95
Shipping Charge: $0.00
Estimated Tax : $1.67
Estimated Total: $21.62 :D

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002

The drone at the register ripped you off. ;)

Or you're living in a state with nearly a 30% VAT.

dho

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
California
when you want more ram(especially when you want high performance g5 ram) getting it from other places is almost always the best solution.

just make sure you are getting it from an established company and not some unknown one

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.