Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Virtualball

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
I know Apple made it painlessly easy to install RAM into MacBooks, my question is, if I do it, will it be against warranty?

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
No, but keep the original RAM in case you need to send it in for service.

If Apple didn't want you to replace RAM on your own, they wouldn't have made it as simple as popping bread into a toaster.

Christina1971

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2007
I don't understand this. I've read several times on the board people recommending that we should hold on to our old RAM in case we have to send our Macbook in for service. But if it's a user-replaceable part, how can Apple turn us away for a legitimate warranty issue?

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I don't understand this. I've read several times on the board people recommending that we should hold on to our old RAM in case we have to send our Macbook in for service. But if it's a user-replaceable part, how can Apple turn us away for a legitimate warranty issue?

I think it's more of a just-in-case thing. I believe a few people have run into trouble with Apple giving them a hard time by saying their problems are being caused by their aftermarket RAM (even though it's not). It just saves you potential hassle.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
I sent our MB in for repair with 2GB of RAM I installed. They replaced the MLB without even questioning me about the RAM. In fact, I haven't read any threads where someone was turned away because of 3rd party RAM.

Christina1971

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2007
That's what I'm thinking. I've lurked here for a while and I don't *recall* (operative word; I very well could have forgotten) someone being told by Apple "We will not fix your problem because you have aftermarket RAM." And as much as people complain on this site (which is natural; people don't generally post to say "everything's fine") it seems like it would have come up more often. If an Apple person said that to me, it seems like the logical response would be to ask them to take our your aftermarket RAM, put in some Apple RAM and see if the problem can be reproduced.

It's a user replaceable part for a reason, and it would seem to me that you can't make a part easily accessible for user servicing and then flatly refuse warranty service because a user took you up on it.

Can someone tell me if they were refused warranty service because they installed aftermarket RAM? This is different from being told "your RAM is causing the problem."

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
Now what if Apple decided to give you a replacement. And went based on the stock configuration. Goodbye 2GB and upgraded drive?

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
It really depends on the store, I had an experience where they even helped me troubleshoot the issue down to a particular stick. They also changed the MLB just in case (it might have been a bad MLB with a broken ram slot).

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
No, how could they? That would not be a replacement.

If you put in 2GB and a 160GB aftermarket, how would they know to replace what you put in there. It didnt come from Apple. They would most likely give you whatever stock config they have based on the serial number.

Which say it is a 2.0 White, 1GB and 80GB if you bought it that way. That WOULD be replacement.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
If you put in 2GB and a 160GB aftermarket, how would they know to replace what you put in there. It didnt come from Apple. They would most likely give you whatever stock config they have from the serial number.

Which say it is a 2.0 White, 1GB and 80GB if you bought it that way. That WOULD be replacement.
No, they would be stealing your aftermarket add-ons. They'd have to send you back your HD and RAM separately, at the very least.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
No, they would be stealing your aftermarket add-ons. They'd have to send you back your HD and RAM separately, at the very least.

Who can say they check for that? Or if they have something in their agreement that they don't have to check for 3rd party addons?

I am not saying this is true or false, just posing the question.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Who can say they check for that? Or if they have something in their agreement that they don't have to check for 3rd party addons?

I am not saying this is true or false, just posing the question.
They have a duty of care. However, it would not be a bad idea to let them know you have upgraded, I suppose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.