Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martin1000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
Washington, D.C.
Hi all. I am a switcher who just got an ibook 12".

I have turned on the firewall, is there anything esle I need to do for security purposes while browsing in Safari?

Is online banking safe in Safari? Do I need additional software to make it safe?

Thanks in advance!

iWillard

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2005
Staring at a Mac Screen
martin1000 said:
Hi all. I am a switcher who just got an ibook 12".

I have turned on the firewall, is there anything esle I need to do for security purposes while browsing in Safari?

Is online banking safe in Safari? Do I need additional software to make it safe?

Thanks in advance!

You can turn on "Private Browsing" in Safari... Under "File"... You could go even further and reset safari (also under "File") after you gte done doing banking stuff...

zv470

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2004
Japan
I don't think Private Mode is necessary... if your bank has any decent online security. My bank doesn't let you go back in history to access past pages. I think it's more important to keep your password save and to change it regulary.

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
Yeah I don't really think private browsing is necessary either, especially if you're the only one using your computer, but you could turn it on anyway. A lot of it has to do with the bank as well, and not just the browser. Make sure you like the security your bank has to offer too.

Xephian

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
United States
The "Safe Mode" is only to protect you from other users on the same computer. Most sites like that have some kind of encryption though.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Just give me your account number and password and I will check for you. :eek:

Any browser would be fine for online banking, assuming your bank is employing the usual security measures such as strongly encrypted HTTPS...Look for the locked padlock in the upper right corner of the window and for the url to start with https:// in the location bar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.