Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 28, 2004
I've noticed many people posting about their 12" Rev C orders being canceled and pushed back to the end of this month, or early August. Is their something WRONG with the Rev C 12" model? I own one, and have yet to find any faults with it (other than noisy hard disk on start up), but I also use it primarily as an extended desktop, and have yet to test the bluetooth or CD burning capabilities, so it's very possible that I just HAVE NOT NOTICED any defects. I have AppleCare so I'm not too worried, but if their is something wrong I feel I should be given a new power book right away, rather than find a fault a year from now which should have been rectified way back when.

Please tell me I'm worrying over nothing as I don't want to have to part with my baby!

Ari_0

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2004
As far as I know some (including me) are waiting for a speed bump before purchasing. *drools about a 12" with 1.5Ghz". But thats just me.

Some have been whining about screen problems, and by some I mean one. By whining I mean noticing..... I'm just gonna leave now....... :confused:

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
BrianKonarsMac said:
but if their is something wrong I feel I should be given a new power book right away, rather than find a fault a year from now which should have been rectified way back when.
]
If there's a problem you have zero chance of Apple giving you a new powerbook just on the off-chance yours is affected. There's hundreds of thousands of white G3 ibook owners with potentially flaky logic boards that are waiting for them to crash and burn - me included :(

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
Perhaps it's just a shortage of one or two components (CPUs? aluminium shortage ?). I wouldn't be too worried about a technical problem because so far, no widespread problems have surfaced with any revision of the 12" PB. Rev. Ca are not so much different from Revisions A & B that a new component could suddenly cause a major problems. (But then, we never know...) On the contrary, Rev. Cs are said to run cooler than Rev. Bs. let alone Rev. As.

condor

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2004
I ordered a 12" PB on 7/21 with an expected shipping time of 1-2 days. It then got bumped back to 7/30. Last night I got the following e-mail below from Apple. Then this morning I got notification that it finally shipped :) . Does a new part number mean anything? The specs are exactly the same as what I ordered.

To Our Valued Apple Customer:
Thank you for your recent order.

We would like to inform you that we have made changes to your order so that we might better fulfill it. We wanted to make you aware of the adjustment immediately to avoid any confusion. The modification to your order affected only the part number and did not affect the configuration or the price of your computer.

You may view the changes and check the status of your order by visiting our online order status website at http://www.apple.com/orderstatus. Please note that it is possible that the changes may delay your order very slightly.

Please be assured that we are doing everything we can to ship your order as quickly as possible. A shipment notification, with tracking information, will be emailed to you as soon as your order is shipped.

If you prefer, you may change or cancel your order anytime before it is shipped. If you choose to cancel your order, Apple will issue a prompt refund.

We appreciate your business and your patience. Thank you for shopping at the Apple Store!

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
condor said:
Does a new part number mean anything? The specs are exactly the same as what I ordered.

It probably means they've just made modifications to the design or some internal component of the 12" and they've run out of the older design, so they've changed your order to the new one.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Apple constantly changes the internals of their systems, but only ups the rev (A->B->C, etc.) when something "major" happens. For example, the G5's sold before the June announcement, though technically Rev As, had much better power supplies and the faster SuperDrive. So the order delay probably just means a standard Apple transition to a better set of components.

And you needn't worry, BrianKonarsMac. It doesn't mean your system sucks. I've got a Rev A G5 from September, before any upgrades. And mine works just fine! Your PB will be fine as well.

micvog

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2003
Based on the "LL" thread, it looks like Apple may be making the 5400RPM hard drive standard.

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
jsw said:
Apple constantly changes the internals of their systems, but only ups the rev (A->B->C, etc.) when something "major" happens.
Apple don't even use the ABC naming convention it's completely artificial made up by users. They do however change the part numbers when they change a component which it appears they've done in this case.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Finiksa said:
Apple don't even use the ABC naming convention it's completely artificial made up by users. They do however change the part numbers when they change a component which it appears they've done in this case.

Yes, sorry, I meant that we call them "A", "B", etc. Apple uses notation like, say, "PowerMac7,2". But they alter a fair number of components without going to, in the above example, "PowerMac7,3".

pewtermoose

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2004
caveman_uk said:
There's hundreds of thousands of white G3 ibook owners with potentially flaky logic boards that are waiting for them to crash and burn - me included :(

G3 iBook 500MHz, crashed and burned. Packed up in box to get shipped to Apple later today. Current turnaround time: 14-20 business days. :(

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
pewtermoose said:
G3 iBook 500MHz, crashed and burned. Packed up in box to get shipped to Apple later today. Current turnaround time: 14-20 business days. :(

There is something seriously wrong with that. They could at least fix it in a timely fashion after installing a crappy logic board...

pewtermoose

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2004
What worse, I went to leave it in the dropbox today, it doesn't fit. The insert that came with the package says to call Airborne Express to arrange a pickup. They don't give you the number to call. Look on the Airbill - there's no phone number anywhere. Quick Google search turns up nothing. The ONLY good thing to come out of this - they're upgrading me to a combo drive from a CD-ROM.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
pewtermoose said:
My 800MHz G3 has already died once. Took about 4 days to come back (with a few more scratches on it :mad: ). Where are you? I'm in the UK - maybe it's different where you are?

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
pewtermoose said:
What worse, I went to leave it in the dropbox today, it doesn't fit. The insert that came with the package says to call Airborne Express to arrange a pickup. They don't give you the number to call. Look on the Airbill - there's no phone number anywhere. Quick Google search turns up nothing. The ONLY good thing to come out of this - they're upgrading me to a combo drive from a CD-ROM.

how come you get a combo drive i want a combo drive and i've had my logic board replaced 3 times

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
caveman_uk said:
My 800MHz G3 has already died once. Took about 4 days to come back (with a few more scratches on it :mad: ). Where are you? I'm in the UK - maybe it's different where you are?

Took about a week for mine, here in NZ. They had to order in a new logic board from Australia, which was the main holdup, otherwise it could've been done in one day (plus freight time - there's no Apple service centre in my town so I had to send it away).

pewtermoose

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2004
I have no idea why it would take that long. I'm in Illinois and when he gave me that figure, I practically crapped my pants. Being forced to use my windows machine for a month! Well, I did more googling and nothing came up as to how to get in touch with them, I'm going to unpack it and try again Monday. Humph!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.