Is tax included in Apple.com purchases?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dferigmu, Feb 15, 2005.

1. dferigmu macrumors 6502

I heard somewhere that it isn't. Is that true? I'm asking because I have $450 in Apple Store gift certificates which don't work online. Would an iPod and APP for a notebook cost more at the Apple Store than it would online?

2. Logik macrumors 6502a

tax is not included in the "price" of a product.. iPod 20 gig $299 + tax

the reason it isn't "included" is due to differences in state taxes

EDIT: weird, part of my reply got cut off... not sure if APP is taxed.. i think it is, but i'm not sure.

3. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Simple answer, NO. :)

What a waste of a thread/space? :rolleyes:

4. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

take it easy, sport... :confused:

5. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

prices online do not include taxes, as others mentioned.

for you, since your location is DC, go to the apple store in Delaware. (Christiana Mall, just up north on I-95) no sales tax there and you can use the gift certificate.

6. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

the christina mall store is not as nice as some of the other apple stores in the more imediate dc/metro area. also, the christina store is going to be near a 2hour drive. you'll burn your savings in gas money.

7. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

true to an extent...

i guess he can stop by if he has a trip to the north. will save $27 on the full $450 purchase at 6%. that's a tank of gas...

i don't think the store being not as nice is a concern since he's just getting an iPod...

8. dferigmu thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, that's what I thought. As far as I know I’m not going up to New York any time soon, so that would be a waste to drive 2 hours.

So essentially, it costs exactly the same if I buy something from Apple.com or if I buy it at the Tysons store, right?

9. dferigmu thread starter macrumors 6502

Come on now, just making sure. I'm about to make a major purchase. Look for more of my threads coming this week... ;)

10. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

yes.

11. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

the apple store charges tax based on where the item is shipped, so sometimes it may be better to buy in person, and sometimes it may be better to buy online.

sales tax at my home (memphis) is 9.25%, and that happens to be my billing address on my CC
    sales tax at school (~minneapolis) is 6.5%, and that is my shipping address.

so if you were to, say, be buying something from apple for someone you were going to go visit, and they lived in a place with a lower sales tax than you, it would make sense to order it online and have it shipped to them instead of buying it in person and presenting it to them.
    you just need to learn how to properly work the system. ;)

that make sense?

12. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

On the Apple Website, the actual price does not include sales tax. When you finish the order a sales tax is placed on top of the price of the item. The amount of tax is determined by where you live.

(at least this is the case for the US. In other countries I don't know.)