Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beyondsingularity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2022
In the recent month it has been viral in social media platforms the rumor that tesla will release smart phone in the upcoming years called Tesla model Pi. it is rumored that tesla getting in the smart phone market as a response of apple plan to make electric cars to compete with tesla cars. since Tesla is a premium car company, they are likely targeting premium segment, the segment that is dominated by iPhone. i think it will unlikely targeting budget android phones. Do you think Tesla Phone will be a serious threat for iPhone? or for apple in general?

• Haha
Reactions: chikorita157

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Oh boy, what is the vaporware salesmen trying to sell us today? Yes it will be a major threat, if Apple starts making imaginary phones.....

Fully self driving cars in 2019, nope. CyberTruck in 2021, nope. SemiTruck...uhh..nope. HyperLoop, well he even admitted that was dumb, now its just a car in a tube. Fully automated cars in Los Vegas, ignore that person behind the wheel if you visit. Just look at the tunnel lit a pretty color, it must be from the future!

boring-loop-GettyImages-1311709587.jpg

Starlink is becoming the cage that will restrict our species to Earth due to a near certainty of collisions (at 10% Starlinks fleet satellite operators are using 'avoidance maneuvers' a week on average to avoid those things). RoboTaxi's across the country, nope. Tesla bot will be launched sometime this year (I'll eat my hat)....this animated gif of a guy dressed like a Tesla bot introduced Elon to the stage, swear to god, this isn't me joking he was Elons opening act. People were cheering and laughing, I swear I felt I was personally being trolled.

bd2e71e98b184b9d8ed72f9f1925492c

Meanwhile Boston Dynamics has a robot no one cares about....

The list goes on and on. I feel like he comes up with an idea, and just goes right to the press without feeling it out or discussing it with engineers. People talk about his ventures constant delays, I don't think they are delays they just weren't realistic in the first place. I will admit though, people LOVE Elon. A year or two from now the people enthusiastically waiting for the Tesla phone will just ignore it was put on some sort of permanent back burner.

I mean did anyone really analyze this Tesla phone? Solar panel? So leave your phone in the sun? Current panels covert ~90% of the suns energy to heat. I can NOT be the only person that sees this stuff...

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
Oh boy, what is the vaporware salesmen trying to sell us today? Yes it will be a major threat, if Apple starts making imaginary phones.....

Fully self driving cars in 2019, nope. CyberTruck in 2021, nope. SemiTruck...uhh..nope. HyperLoop, well he even admitted that was dumb, now its just a car in a tube. Fully automated cars in Los Vegas, ignore that person behind the wheel if you visit. Just look at the tunnel lit a pretty color, it must be from the future!

View attachment 1950905

Starlink is becoming the cage that will restrict our species to Earth due to a near certainty of collisions (at 10% Starlinks fleet satellite operators are using 'avoidance maneuvers' a week on average to avoid those things). RoboTaxi's across the country, nope. Tesla bot will be launched sometime this year (I'll eat my hat)....this animated gif of a guy dressed like a Tesla bot introduced Elon to the stage, swear to god, this isn't me joking he was Elons opening act. People were cheering and laughing, I swear I felt I was personally being trolled.

bd2e71e98b184b9d8ed72f9f1925492c

Meanwhile Boston Dynamics has a robot no one cares about....

The list goes on and on. I feel like he comes up with an idea, and just goes right to the press without feeling it out or discussing it with engineers. People talk about his ventures constant delays, I don't think they are delays they just weren't realistic in the first place. I will admit though, people LOVE Elon. A year or two from now the people enthusiastically waiting for the Tesla phone will just ignore it was put on some sort of permanent back burner.

I mean did anyone really analyze this Tesla phone? Solar panel? So leave your phone in the sun? Current panels covert ~90% of the suns energy to heat. I can NOT be the only person that sees this stuff...
He is just doing what he has to do to keep everything in the black.

Tesla is still not making money when they sell a car so he has to keep interest up to keep investor money coming in to prop it up. Colonize Mars? Not anytime soon for health reasons in that scenario but a fly by to Mars could happen. If someone wants to jettison from the main ship and land on Mars as a suicide mission but make it into the history books - that is also a possibility.

The Tesla phone is similar hype which could happen. But all those YouTube spots are from what seems to be “friendly” entities just hyping the hell out of a possible phone. Solar power is possible but usually from a case. Starlink is the big deal for a proprietary phone though. That could work and be the reason for a Tesla phone. I’d hate to see what the antenna to reach low orbit satellites would look like but this could be a truly new thing for phones. The neuralink chatter is simply chatter and not reality.

I like the man and how he does things as that is literally the only way he could do them. He’s the hype man for all his companies. That’s his job and he does it well.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
I will admit though, people LOVE Elon. A year or two from now the people enthusiastically waiting for the Tesla phone will just ignore it was put on some sort of permanent back burner.
That’s funny, we must live in different (online) worlds… my impression is that everyone thinks he’s the world’s biggest clown (to put it very mildly).

Bandaman

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2019
It's a satellite phone that will be hooked up to the Starlink network so you will get fast internet in the middle of the Sahara Desert. So it's a different kind of phone. It doesn't really have any competition. But the biggest thing will be app support because from what I've read it seems like a proprietary OS that will work with Macs and Windows. I don't think it's a threat to the iPhone because it's a different kind of product. It could actually be very cool.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
It’s probably going to be like the Red Hydrogen Phone all over again. Apple only has to worry about coming up with an all matte black iPhone in the summer.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Gotta be a phone that can make calls to other star systems ⭐️💫
Hope he make deals with both sides, so it can run any system.
Or he could buy up a lot of Apple. He would at least be a more fun CEO.
I like Elon 🙂
Will be interesting to follow where this will go.

Last edited:

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
There are Tesla fanatics that will buy anything Tesla just as there are Apple fanatics that will buy anything Apple but I think the only really threats to the iPhone would be if the Tesla Pi Phone provided some sort of remarkable coverage, speed and/or cost advantages (via Starlink) or some super impressive Pi Phone exclusive apps.

Reactions: Lioness~

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I don't think they have a chance. It will either run OS or android so will not be able to compete with what is already on the market. It's just another phone competing for it's place.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I wouldn't mind a backup phone that could work anywhere I'm at (assuming not in a cave, subbasement, etc). I lines on both a Verizon MVNO and ATT Prepaid to best prepare in case of emergency in the plains/mountain states.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
This was my thought too. Musk is just bored, and has the money/time to dream up ridiculous things.
Maybe ridiculous for some, inventive is the word I would use. Like Steve was in his prime, and Elon haven’t even got there. He’s just started….
Finally something that sparks the tech world a lot more then Apple do today.
They mass producing, great, but nothing exiting really….
There are Tesla fanatics that will buy anything Tesla just as there are Apple fanatics that will buy anything Apple but I think the only really threats to the iPhone would be if the Tesla Pi Phone provided some sort of remarkable coverage, speed and/or cost advantages (via Starlink) or some super impressive Pi Phone exclusive apps.
He wouldn’t get into this if he didn’t had a plan/vision for it. He is a lot smarter then most people.
His starlink internet running with these phones, will be ultra speed. Unless the weather is really crappy for some time. Uhmm…Then we can use starlink to our other devises too etc.

Great to see where this goes….

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.