Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
The dynamic island is so rarely active that I am happy to see it every time.
Yeah same here.. Most of the time I forget it's even there... I really thought they were going to move all notifications to the DI... especially native app notifications.

Reactions: JapanApple

OSXphoto

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2013
In landscape mode, 100% of the time it isn't doing anything at all at least in any of my use cases (apps, games, YT, etc).

The DI sits slightly lower on the screen, so that does bother some people depending on the aspect ratio of the video though.
221109_14PM_MovieZoomModeFill.jpg

This is how the DI is in the frame. As there is a little space between the DI and the edge of the screen, the DI appears to be "in" the movie. The notch appears more as part of the edge, to my brain anyway. I forgot about the notch in minutes. The DI keeps bugging me still.

Edit:
The above image is a "fill screen" video zoom mode. In my video player I can also select "original" video zoom mode, see image below. It's a waste of screen real estate but it's more pleasing to my eye to discard the DI.

Maybe in a few weeks I don't notice the DI anymore and switch back to fill screen, who knows.
221109_14PM_MovieZoomModeOriginal.jpeg

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
I’m a month and a half in and having gone back and forth on the issue - I like it and want it to stay. The phone actually letter boxed videos in the beginning for viewing movies but now I just watch it with the Island there in the screen. Actually I wouldn’t mind to see all sorts of notifications (but just in the island and not expanded) in the island as I watched movies…

Small things like for screen recordings I had to swipe down and the same to turn it off but the island shows it is recording and a long press shows the control to stop it. Things like that.

You get used to it and as more features get added it will just become another part of the experience.

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
View attachment 2110595
This is how the DI is in the frame. As there is a little space between the DI and the edge of the screen, the DI appears to be "in" the movie. The notch appears more as part of the edge, to my brain anyway. I forgot about the notch in minutes. The DI keeps bugging me still.

Edit:
The above image is a "fill screen" video zoom mode. In my video player I can also select "original" video zoom mode, see image below. It's a waste of screen real estate but it's more pleasing to my eye to discard the DI.

Maybe in a few weeks I don't notice the DI anymore and switch back to fill screen, who knows.
View attachment 2110601

Yeah, I've heard of that also the aspect ratio that cuts into it slightly more, below. I think it depends on the aspect ratio though of course of what's viewed. Like in the one you showed it would be unaffected.

Attachments

• dynamic island .jpeg
    dynamic island .jpeg
    92.6 KB · Views: 305

monstermash

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
I'd pay Apple $25/year for an "off" switch for Dynamic Island.

Maybe that could be an innovative new business model for companies...provide obnoxious and annoying features that are "on" by default, and charge customers a monthly fee for the ability to turn them off.

OSXphoto

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2013
Not sure why it was even necessary to rearrange the notch downwards. So we got rid of the notch and now we have it in the screen. What's the point? Okay if it were invisible like sub surface Touch ID or something that could be called progress. But now we get the same cutout, but more noticeable in the viewing perimeter and in the way of apps.

monstermash

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
I never understood all the complaining about the notch to begin with. They gave you more screen. The alternative is to cut the screen off below the notch, giving you less screen.

Honestly...it's such a stupid thing to complain about. Sure as hell beats a moving hole in the screen. The lit space above the hole is totally unusable. Why even have a screen there?

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
I never understood all the complaining about the notch to begin with. They gave you more screen. The alternative is to cut the screen off below the notch, giving you less screen.

Honestly...it's such a stupid thing to complain about. Sure as hell beats a moving hole in the screen. The lit space above the hole is totally unusable. Why even have a screen there?
Agree. I think it’s simply an apple decision for identification as apple devices. We had the home button then the notch and now the “island”.
I think it will stay for a while.

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I returned 14 Pro and kept my 13 Pro mainly bc I didn’t like the way DI sits lower on screen and is more obtrusive when scrolling in Safari. Takes up a lot more screen space when compared side by side with 13P - seemed like it took 10-15% more screen space blacked out at top of screen when web-surfing (which I do a lot). I’m sorta shocked this doesn’t seem to be a big deterrent for others. I dont watch many movies on my phone so that wasn’t as big an issue for me as scrolling. Maybe not as important if you’re interested in the Pro Max iteration.

ISignedUpToAskThis

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2022
Had my 14 Pro for a week or so before returning it and going back to a 13 mini.

DI is a novelty/gimmick really.

It was interesting to start with but quickly forgettable. I like the check animation the DI performs when using Face ID, but apart from that DI was rarely utilised.

There's just not enough use for it at the moment. Apple's own apps barely make use of it in any imaginative way.

Watching full screen videos is irritating with the pill cutout, it just sits there as a hole in the picture. This is where the notch edges it.

It's the iPhone equivalent of the short-lived Touch Bar on MacBook Pro IMO - we'll have it on iPhone for the next couple of years and then it'll be gone.

Just surprised that the refreshed MacBook Pro kept the notch and didn't go with Dynamic Island, maybe that'll come.

mattdo93

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2010
I love the Dynamic Island. The animations look sleek, it's practical and useful, and like reviewers mentioned it's a great way of turning something that can't be hidden into a cool feature.

The only annoyances I have with it are:
1) not enough developers have utilized it (yet)
2) the pill shape does get in the way and is noticeable when watching videos and you zoom in to fill the screen (which I do often)

RRC

macrumors 65832
Nov 3, 2020
It’s still new, and being that it’s software once apps and more so Apple develop software linked to it there’s a lot it could be used for.

Personally I prefer it to the notch in that it actually does something other than hold hardware, but does it annoy me? Nope I don’t even notice it now.

Reactions: Mr.C

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
It’s still new, and being that it’s software once apps and more so Apple develop software linked to it there’s a lot it could be used for.

Personally I prefer it to the notch in that it actually does something other than hold hardware, but does it annoy me? Nope I don’t even notice it now.

I definitely agree with that.

solq

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
Im curious to know what you don’t like about push button start? I’m pretty sure that your key ignition start is exactly the same, but instead of pushing a button with your finger your are turning a key to push a button.
I can tell you what I don't like about push button start. On my cars I have these ignition key "fobs" that behave like ignition keys, and they have three positions, similar to ignition keys: off, electronics on, engine on.

With the button, you get "off" or "engine on". Every time I get a replacement car that has a button I don't know how to get into the situation where I can sit in the car with the engine off but keep the music playing for as long as I want, e.g. when I'm waiting for someone.

If you have an ignition key or this equivalent system, it's easy.

Now back to the topic. I'd say this screen cutout would annoy me, especially when browsing the web. On the home screen I use a wallpaper that fades to black on top, so it hides it (example attached).

When watching videos just avoid zoom-to-fill and give up some screen real estate. But for browsing and email, which are my main uses, the cutout will be there. I think the notch was better.

Attachments

• cosmos-iphone-12-pro-max.jpg
    cosmos-iphone-12-pro-max.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 84
Reactions: Tig Bitties

Judo

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2002
New Zealand
I can tell you what I don't like about push button start. On my cars I have these ignition key "fobs" that behave like ignition keys, and they have three positions, similar to ignition keys: off, electronics on, engine on.

With the button, you get "off" or "engine on". Every time I get a replacement car that has a button I don't know how to get into the situation where I can sit in the car with the engine off but keep the music playing for as long as I want, e.g. when I'm waiting for someone.

If you have an ignition key or this equivalent system, it's easy.

Now back to the topic. I'd say this screen cutout would annoy me, especially when browsing the web. On the home screen I use a wallpaper that fades to black on top, so it hides it (example attached).

When watching videos just avoid zoom-to-fill and give up some screen real estate. But for browsing and email, which are my main uses, the cutout will be there. I think the notch was better.
Try pressing the start button with out your foot on the break. That should start the electronics with out the car starting.

Works in my car, so I’m assuming it should work in most others.

Feyl

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
It's not annoying, it's just completelly useless. I don't even look at it 99% of the time because it doesn't really indicate anything.

solq

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
Try pressing the start button with out your foot on the break. That should start the electronics with out the car starting.

It really depends on the car. For Toyotas, for example, what you described is the normal procedure for starting the car. If you don't press the brake but press the on/off button, you get told off and nothing else happens 😂

I don't have this problem because like I said, my cars have a fixed key-like thing with an intermediate position.

monstermash

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020

That's how our Buick works.

Blue Nova

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2021
I’m still toying with the idea of getting a 14 pro but have read several blogs and user comments saying the dynamic island is really annoying and enlarges too often with alerts/notifications blocking pets of the screen.

I know you can swipe to ‘close’ it but does it get irritating after a while, or is it really not a big deal?
There should be a feature where you can hide it. When I’m viewing a close up of some photography I just took with the iPhone 14 pro new lenses, the dynamic Island gets in the way he been watching videos on Vimeo, if you want a close up and being in landscape mode, the DI is in the way.

ShadowGuardian87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
Virginia
I really enjoy dynamic island since launch. It's never distracting for me and is pretty useful for things that I do on my phone. Plus it just feels futuristic if that makes sense lol.

Reactions: JapanApple

JapanApple

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2022
Japan
The dynamic island has nothing but good in my mind. I’ve had no issues I’ve enjoyed it. Photos videos etc. the absence of the screen doesn’t bother me at all. I’m used to it than iPhone X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.