Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Get the Mini 4 if you have the 6s plus?

• Yes

Votes: 31 45.6%
  • No

Votes: 21 30.9%
  • Buy something else

Votes: 16 23.5%

• Total voters

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
While they are not that far off in size, the key differences of course is that the iPad will run iPad apps - so entirely different screen layout for some apps.

The 6 Plus, as big as it is, is still an iPhone.

Reactions: Night Spring

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Really, only you can answer that question for yourself. But I will say that the difference between a 5.5" display and a 7.9" with a 4:3 ratio is not trivial when it comes to web surfing, document reading, and productivity. Also, the Mini has access to tablet apps that the iphone doesn't.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
I use my mini 2 a lot and I'm debating if I should upgrade.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I use my mini 2 a lot and I'm debating if I should upgrade.

I upgraded from the mini 2 and am very happy with the mini 4. It is thinner and lighter, faster and the color saturation is much improved - equal now to the iPad air 2. I have an iPhone 6, not plus but I wouldn't use either one for web surfing - just too small for me.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
I upgraded from the mini 2 and am very happy with the mini 4. It is thinner and lighter, faster and the color saturation is much improved - equal now to the iPad air 2. I have an iPhone 6, not plus but I wouldn't use either one for web surfing - just too small for me.

The mini 2 is perfect for web surfing... I just want better goodies like touchid, 2gb ram, A8, thinner, better screen, etc.

Ethan Coohill

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2015
Denver
For me I had a mini 3 and loved it and used it all the time for everything. Once I got the 6 plus, I stopped using it completely. I knew I needed something bigger.

The main reason was with those black bars watching Netflix, it's almost the exact same screen size as my phone. It felt pointless.

I was very interested in the pro, but I am glad I decided to go with the air 2 instead. ( got it for 125 off a couple of days ago! )

The mini 4 is a great product don't get me wrong, but to me it feels like if you had both the 11 inch and 13 in MacBook Airs. Doesn't make too much sense.

Go with the Air 2!

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
For me I had a mini 3 and loved it and used it all the time for everything. Once I got the 6 plus, I stopped using it completely. I knew I needed something bigger.

The main reason was with those black bars watching Netflix, it's almost the exact same screen size as my phone. It felt pointless.

I was very interested in the pro, but I am glad I decided to go with the air 2 instead. ( got it for 125 off a couple of days ago! )

The mini 4 is a great product don't get me wrong, but to me it feels like if you had both the 11 inch and 13 in MacBook Airs. Doesn't make too much sense.

Go with the Air 2!
I feel like the air 2 is a year old product and doesn't justify paying extra for a bigger screen for me. I don't think it's worth 100 more. The air 2 and the mini 4 are basically identical besides the extra processor. I do like that the mini's form factor. It is super portable and perfect to carry around anywhere. I hate how Apple just enlarges the icons and waste the space. The icon to screen size ratio is better on the mini. The pro icon size is hideous.

nrubenstein

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2008
Washington, DC
I basically haven't used mine at all since I got the 6+ (now 6S+). It's kind of neat to have a second highly portable screen, but that's about the only use. The phone is good enough for browsing and everything else.

Reactions: Appl3FTW

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
I basically haven't used mine at all since I got the 6+ (now 6S+). It's kind of neat to have a second highly portable screen, but that's about the only use. The phone is good enough for browsing and everything else.
See I toggle between the 6s+ and the mini 2... Whichever is the closest haha.

nrubenstein

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2008
Washington, DC
I kind of feel like if the criteria is "whatever is closet," you probably wouldn't miss the Mini if it went away.

Mine falls into the category of just useful enough to keep around (and not worth enough to justify selling). But I wouldn't really advocate buying.

rdy0329

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2012
Got the 6 plus. My mini suddenly wasn't getting used anymore. Got the pro now and its a much better compliment for the 6 plus.

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
I agree with the post above mine. I had a mini 4 and my 6S Plus, and returned the mini. The plus was just easier to hold for the things I was doing on both. That said, now I have an iPad Pro and its a much nicer compliment, as its significantly better for video and browsing.

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
I upgraded to the mini 4 because I found a good deal on Craigslist for a used one. Now that I have it, I appreciate it but also am more convinced than ever that it wasn't a necessary upgrade. The mini 2 is still very good and I sorts of regret having to sell it.

ApplePhy

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2013
Sell your mini2, and use the $ towards the mini4. Look for cyber Monday deals on the mini4, and you could probably minimize the cost difference.

You'll appreciate the speed of the A8, thinness of the mini4.

I had a similar dilemma when I decided to upgrade from the Air1 to the Air2. I was extremely glad that I did. Much more enjoyable using the Air2 (until I upgraded to the Pro!)

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
I posted it on Craigslist just to see. How much are 32gb wifi only running now? The guy offered 150, pssshhh

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
While I really grew to like the iPad Mini 4, in my case I couldn't financially justify both. As my flip phone situation became unusable last week and Apple allowed the return of the iPM4, I went with the 6s+. This is probably me, but I am seeing a considerable difference between the + phone and iPM4 screen sizes. Not enough to make me regret the switch (as I can read just fine on 6s+), but it's noticeable as far as screen real estate and watching movies.

All I can say to the OP is, if you want both, get both.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Lol I see. If u sell the 6+ then what phone are you gonna use?

Well honestly, I don't use my iPhone for much aside from calls and texts because I prefer the iPad version of apps to get stuff done (you know Facebook and such, haha!). I was going to give the mini 4 a try as my phone. Get the LTE version and use my google voice and google hangouts for free calls, texts, and video chats. But in the meantime I'm using my 5S :p

Ethan Coohill

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2015
Denver
I feel like the air 2 is a year old product and doesn't justify paying extra for a bigger screen for me. I don't think it's worth 100 more. The air 2 and the mini 4 are basically identical besides the extra processor. I do like that the mini's form factor. It is super portable and perfect to carry around anywhere. I hate how Apple just enlarges the icons and waste the space. The icon to screen size ratio is better on the mini. The pro icon size is hideous.
Sounds like you already had your mind made up before the thread haha

Markgnyc2

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2013
I have both a Mini 4 and 6s plus. They complement each other well. If I am sitting on the couch or a train or in bed I have the Mini 4. If I am out and about, or just at my desk at work, I have the 6s plus. To me they are much different products and each have different uses.

Reactions: nav92

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I love my mini 4

Great for the work and out and about. I also have the 6s plus and air 2 and I have a need for all 3

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
Personally I found the Air 2 to be more complimentary with the iPhone 6S Plus. However, I did have the mini until recently and it certainly a different experience over the iPhone. So, it boils down to how much bigger do you want the screen. I am much happier with my Air 2.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
The mini 2 is perfect for web surfing... I just want better goodies like touchid, 2gb ram, A8, thinner, better screen, etc.

Agree the mini is perfect for web surfing. I meant the iPhone 6 and 6+ are too small for me and didn't make that clear in my post. Get the mini 4 - the better goodies are worth it. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.