Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Can you still use the iPhone 4s

• Total voters

pianostar9

macrumors regular
I've tried doing similar downgrades a handful of times and always end up getting lost in the shuffle. I guess I'm technologically challenged, or something. If I knew someone who knew how to do it though, I'd do it in a heart beat. Same with my iPad2.
Just try it. If you have a problem, you could always post in https://reddit.com/r/LegacyJailbreak/ to seek assistance. ;)

Thebrochure

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2021
As above, its useless as a smartphone due to out of date software support.
As a dumb phone, there are better options.
If you have ios6 installed, the phone will run as smoothly as a new one. Which means you'd have a working phone, working iMessage, working email, working web browser, notes, weather app, 3.5mm jack, clock, iTunes, alarm lock, camera (albeit very low quality, but still), 1080P video, Apple maps, GPS, Siri, FaceTime--as well as a slew of older games, some which don't even run on newer phones due to Apple forcing all the developers to update their games. And all of that in a much more compact size than what's currently available (one hand use, and can fit into even the skinniest of skinny jeans).

That's far better than a dumb phone.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
If you have ios6 installed, the phone will run as smoothly as a new one. Which means you'd have a working phone, working iMessage, working email, working web browser, notes, weather app, 3.5mm jack, clock, iTunes, alarm lock, camera (albeit very low quality, but still), 1080P video, Apple maps, GPS, Siri, FaceTime--as well as a slew of older games, some which don't even run on newer phones due to Apple forcing all the developers to update their games. And all of that in a much more compact size than what's currently available (one hand use, and can fit into even the skinniest of skinny jeans).

Some of the things you said actually don't work anymore. FaceTime for example is broken.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Safari would have unpatched vulnerabilities and probably not able to render any complex websites. And some of many apps won’t work on iOS 6. But yeah the phone would work but maybe not make a phone call.

pianostar9

macrumors regular

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
No.
- Several apps no longer work for the iOS version it can run
- US networks will soon be shutting down 3G, making internet nearly unusable unless you're on Wi-Fi
- It's painfully slow by modern standards
- The iOS versions it can run have numerous unpatched security flaws
- An iPhone 6/6s can be had at similar low prices and are much more capable if you're on a budget.

At this point it can at best be used as a pretty iPod Touch.

sfphoto

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2010
2022 may be the last year such can be used as a phone - unless the 5g expansion becomes snagged by the airline altimeter issues.

Same for iP3 and iP5 (both which I still use).

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
I don't completely agree. I can use it for email, web browsing, and it is similar to my iPad 3, in terms of age.
To each their own. If it serves your needs then good on ya. I wouldn’t continue using a device that wasn’t at least getting security updates but that’s just me (security professional)
The truth is if the 4s is in good condition, it's perfect for what it was designed back then: phone home. It was primarily a phone to place calls and talk to people. After that, you could email a little and browse the web a little. If your usage of an iPhone is primarily to place calls keep it and phone your friends. iPhone of today are computers appealing to photographers, influencers, Tis-Tokers and alike. I know by experience many won't even call you, phoning is passé not realizing why still need a "phone number" to text. If you are in that situation, then buy a 2022 iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.