Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IpadSC400

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
A mile high
I think the question is would you pay $650 for an iPhone 5S. Not if you think Nexus 5 is worth $350. Stay on topic.
We pretty much know that diehards wouldn't mind paying $650. It's the average Joe that might be looking at switching from a different platform. Or the previous customer that might have to pay unsubsidized pricing in the future. Apple knows that it has an extreme loyal following and will sale to you at any cost.
If your running a restaurant don't you want new customers to eat there as well? Trying to entice your new customers with a $20 hamburger that taste no different than a $12 hamburger is not the answer. And soon those loyal customers are going to save $8 on that hamburger if you don't do something different.
Ok, would I pay $650 for an iPhone 5S...? Well, I just recently did, so yeah, I guess I would. I must confess, though, I would pay $350 for a samsung phone but only the S3 or S4, maybe even the HTC one Glacier Silver, but not Nexus. Please, anything but Nexus!

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
The iPhone is worth that much and has high resale value because of demand. As for comparing to Androids, that's a whole different camp. It's not surprising that Androids reap the bulk of the marketshare because they're cheaper. In fact, 50% of iPhone 5c users switched from Androids vs. 80% of 5s owners who upgraded from an older iPhone, indicating that cost plays a big role in adoption, especially among cheap people or those with limited funds.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
It's worth it. I paid $749 for my 32GB Gold 5S and the build quality of the device is amazing. It's pretty much unmatched by other phones on the market. Plus I use it all throughout the day everyday and it goes with me everywhere so I feel that I'm definitely getting my money's worth out of it.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Ok, would I pay $650 for an iPhone 5S...? Well, I just recently did, so yeah, I guess I would. I must confess, though, I would pay $350 for a samsung phone but only the S3 or S4, maybe even the HTC one Glacier Silver, but not Nexus. Please, anything but Nexus!

And what's wrong with the Nexus? And that's coming from a Note 3 owner. I would gladly have plain Android on my Note 3 as long as the S-Pen and IR blaster works. I really don't care for all the software features because I prefer a clean stock feel. I still think the hardware/specs in the Note 3 are better than the Nexus 5. But you do have a price difference of over $300 when comparing the two.

----------

It's worth it. I paid $749 for my 32GB Gold 5S and the build quality of the device is amazing. It's pretty much unmatched by other phones on the market. Plus I use it all throughout the day everyday and it goes with me everywhere so I feel that I'm definitely getting my money's worth out of it.

With tax your looking at close to $800. I just don't feel that any phone (Apple, Android or WP) is worth that cost out of pocket. And that $100 memory bump does not translate into $100 more when you try to sale the phone. It's more like $20 to $50 on top of a 16gig model. But it's not my money and if you like it all the power to you.

IpadSC400

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
A mile high
And what's wrong with the Nexus? And that's coming from a Note 3 owner. I would gladly have plain Android on my Note 3 as long as the S-Pen and IR blaster works. I really don't care for all the software features because I prefer a clean stock feel. I still think the hardware/specs in the Note 3 are better than the Nexus 5. But you do have a price difference of over $300 when comparing the two.

Look at the site you're on, mate...Macrumors, not Android Rumors. You debate here all you'll get is biased opinions. Ask that question at a general forum, where both sides of electronics are evenly favoured.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
It's Kia vs Mercedes not $10000 vs $100000...

Huh?

It's a decision on price first of all, and then on the platform.
If the OP is OK with android, there is no reason to pay twice as much for an iPhone.

Nexus 5 is not a Kia. Moto G is a Kia, but Nexus 5 is definitely a premium phone at a great price, you have just been brainwashed

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Look at the site you're on, mate...Macrumors, not Android Rumors. You debate here all you'll get is biased opinions. Ask that question at a general forum, where both sides of electronics are evenly favoured.

If you read his response it was about choosing the Samsung S3/S4 over the Nexus 5. I was not referring to his initial iPhone response.

"I would pay $350 for a Samsung phone but only the S3 or S4, maybe even the HTC one Glacier Silver, but not Nexus. Please, anything but Nexus!"

I was defending the N5 over the Samsung models lol. This site is starting to become "Android Rumors" because of excellent Android phones at any price. There is a reason why you don't see any talk about Windows Phone or Blackberry phones.[/QUOTE]

IpadSC400

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
A mile high
I was defending the N5 over the Samsung models lol. This site is starting to become "Android Rumors" because of excellent Android phones at any price. There is a reason why you don't see any talk about Windows Phone or Blackberry phones.
:confused: You aren't making....sense...
OP, if You're going Android, S3 or S4, HTC one is really good too. If going iPhone, the 5S is worth the price of $650. Why? Because Apple isn't Android and that is a good enough reason.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC

----------

With tax your looking at close to $800. I just don't feel that any phone (Apple, Android or WP) is worth that cost out of pocket. And that $100 memory bump does not translate into $100 more when you try to sale the phone. It's more like $20 to $50 on top of a 16gig model. But it's not my money and if you like it all the power to you.

True but with pretty much any high end smartphone other than the Nexus, the prices are about the same. I don't care at all for Android, I've tried it several times but I won't get into the shortcomings of it in this topic so the Nexus has zero appeal to me.

mpantone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
No. If the carriers were to stop subsidizing them outright, Apple is ****ed.
Curiously, most wireless carriers on this planet do not pay out handset subsidies. You do realize that the Rest of the World doesn't always do what the good ol' USA does, right?

And you do realize that Apple rings up more international revenue than domestic sales, yes?

For markets where handset subsidies are commonplace (like USA), if the carriers removed the subsidies, it would affect all handset manufacturers, not just Apple. That high-end Android smartphone from Company X or Company Y would also lose that subsidy.

hansonjohn590

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2013
Curiously, most wireless carriers on this planet do not pay out handset subsidies. You do realize that the Rest of the World doesn't always do what the good ol' USA does, right?

And you do realize that Apple rings up more international revenue than domestic sales, yes?

For markets where handset subsidies are commonplace (like USA), if the carriers removed the subsidies, it would affect all handset manufacturers, not just Apple. That high-end Android smartphone from Company X or Company Y would also lose that subsidy.

In case you haven't looked at a map lately, the world is a big place. So naturally, it would have more revenue worldwide.....

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010

You forgot about the Nexus 5 and Motorola G which are not subsidized. And yes, the end of subsidies would affect everyone as well but those OEM’s are more willing to battle on price before Apple does. Apple will still be sitting there with a $650 16gig iPhone charging $100 to upgrade to 32gig.

lympero

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2008
Arta, Greece
There are so many options right now with much lower price so NO!

Android right now is beautiful, fast and cheap and you can use Google services to sync everything between a Mac and an android phone, tablet. So for me there is only one way, the android way!

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010

Android right now is beautiful, fast and cheap and you can use Google services to sync everything between a Mac and an android phone, tablet. So for me there is only one way, the android way!

The only Android phones on par with the iPhone 5S are the flagship models from Samsung, etc. They too...are $600+

The Nexus 5 isn't worthy of being mentioned in this thread. It is a mediocre device that has been clearly built to a price.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

That's if you want android. If you don't want android your choices go down substantially.

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
I'm looking to buy a new phone off contract, however I can't help noticing the huge price difference between the latest Nexus 5 ($350) and the iPhone 5S ($650) despite the Nexus 5 being better hardware wise. Where is the $300 difference coming from?

If I didn't have a lot of apps already, I think the Nexus 5 would be a no-brainer to me?

Hardware wise the Nexus 5 IS NOT better than the 5s. I'm assuming you are looking at the processor clock speed and cores, but that is only half the story.

Anyways. The $300 difference comes from the differing company income. Apple makes money off hardware, Google makes money off you (ads).

Anywho. It's up to you. With the iPhone you are paying for the phone and a pretty good warranty (lasts a year). I got my iPhone 5 subsidized for $300 but got two phones out of it. Something happened to the original and got it replaced for free. With Google I doubt you'll be this lucky. However if your Nexus does crap out on you, it'll cost you about the same to buy a new one.

----------

The only Android phones on par with the iPhone 5S are the flagship models from Samsung, etc. They too...are $600+

The Nexus 5 isn't worthy of being mentioned in this thread. It is a mediocre device that has been clearly built to a price.
Actually, quite the contrary. Samsung charges you $600 for plastic, gimmicks, and lag (turn on all the gimmicks). No thanks. With the Nexus you get Android updates fairly quick. There is no lag, and it's actually a pretty sexy phone.

Jbenn425

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2013
New Jersey
iPhone 5S is not good value compared to Nexus 5. But there is a lot of people (including me) who are willing to pay some premium, because they like so much iOS and the Apple ecosystem.

Let's not undervalue the customer service aspect of paying that premium. Try exchanging your 15 month old Nexus 5 in a retail store 5 minutes from your house the day your wifi antenna fails.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Let's not undervalue the customer service aspect of paying that premium. Try exchanging your 15 month old Nexus 5 in a retail store 5 minutes from your house the day your wifi antenna fails.

That's right. Nothing beats having an iPhone fail and then walking out with a new iPhone from the Apple store an hour later. Well worth the price.

Jbenn425

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2013
New Jersey
Money saved! Is money earned!

God I hate that expression. Money earned is money earned. Focus less on saving and more on earning so you don't have to worry about saving.

----------

That's right. Nothing beats having an iPhone fail and then walking out with a new iPhone from the Apple store an hour later. Well worth the price.

Yep, I would love to hear Google as they laugh in your face while calling them about a 15 month old phone. In 15 months Google will completely have forgotten they ever made the Nexus 5, never mind having multiple replacements for it in stock at retail stores.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
God I hate that expression. Money earned is money earned. Focus less on saving and more on earning so you don't have to worry about saving.

----------

Yep, I would love to hear Google as they laugh in your face while calling them about a 15 month old phone. In 15 months Google will completely have forgotten they ever made the Nexus 5, never mind having multiple replacements for it in stock at retail stores.

Here's a great example of that. Guy calls up because he feels he is having issues with his Nexus 5. They advise him to hang onto it for a few months to see what happens and he agreed to do so. Why he agreed, I have no clue. He paid $350-$400 for that phone. I would've demanded a replacement, no excuses.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-5/343876-not-good-news-4.html#post3320182

Jbenn425

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2013
New Jersey
Here's a great example of that. Guy calls up because he feels he is having issues with his Nexus 5. They advise him to hang onto it for a few months to see what happens and he agreed to do so. Why he agreed, I have no clue. He paid $350-$400 for that phone. I would've demanded a replacement, no excuses.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-5/343876-not-good-news-4.html#post3320182

That's crazy. And I wonder how they would go about a replacement. A $350 device is still fairly expensive, I'm sure they would want the old one back before sending out the new one. That would leave you without a phone for a little while. Having a retail store to walk into to get a repair or replacement is invaluable.

Also, did you read the OP of that thread? It all started because Google released the Nexus 5 not even 2 months ago and they have already tweaked the design, that would piss me off if I bought it on launch day.

Last edited:

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
Nexus 5 is not a Kia. Moto G is a Kia, but Nexus 5 is definitely a premium phone at a great price, you have just been brainwashed

Moto G is a great phone as well. I'm an Android user, you misinterpreted my post, and Kias are just fine.

Jbenn425

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2013
New Jersey
Excellent point and I totally agree. Apple still services iPhones as far back as the iPhone 3G.

Yep. I talked to the genius a few days ago when I had my phone replaced. He said they have a few replacement units for each and every model of iPhone, iPad, and iPod with all the different colors, storage, and carriers dating back a few years. Imagine how much worse it must be now with the 5C and all its different colors. It must take up a huge amount of space. And they need to always make sure each and every store is stocked up with replacement units.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.