Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
What are you talking about, slows the phone down.? I have not personally seen any performance issue with iOS 7 on any device.

It's pretty evident of performance degradation on the iPhone 4 with iOS 7. Apple themselves are addressing it to an extent in iOS 7.1, if it was fine why fix it?

Plus Apple disabled graphic effects in iOS 7 for the iPhone 4 to aid in performance. Again, why do that if there wasn't an apparent problem with performance?

Comparing my 4 and 4S is literally night and day. Dual core saved the day :) .

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
now apple is an aston martin?

you really are a hoot

btw what is the equivalent of bad battery life, message database out of control, slowness on older devices etc etc in an aston martin?

Thank you, I try to be interesting and informative.

----------

It's pretty evident of performance degradation on the iPhone 4 with iOS 7. Apple themselves are addressing it to an extent in iOS 7.1, if it was fine why fix it?

Plus Apple disabled graphic effects in iOS 7 for the iPhone 4 to aid in performance. Again, why do that if there wasn't an apparent problem with performance?

Comparing my 4 and 4S is literally night and day. Dual core saved the day :) .

Umm we are not having performance issues with our iPhone 4 on 7.0.4. Period. If apple disabled whatever to make it faster, great. It works fine, unlike 7.0.2 or 3.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Thank you, I try to be interesting and informative.

----------

Umm we are not having performance issues with our iPhone 4 on 7.0.4. Period. If apple disabled whatever to make it faster, great. It works fine, unlike 7.0.2 or 3.

You should call Apple and tell them to not waste their time then. :D

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Is the iPhone 5S worth $650?

Why? Seriously there is always room for more improvement. I think 5s owners will see the biggest benefit for 7.1.

When you said "not having performance issues. PERIOD." I took that literally as in no room/need for improvement. So there is room for improvement?

I agree though the rMini, 5S and Air will benefit the most from 7.1.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
When you said "not having performance issues. PERIOD." I took that literally as in no room/need for improvement. So there is room for improvement?

I agree though the rMini, 5S and Air will benefit the most from 7.1.

To me there is a bunch interface related issues in 7.0.4 that can use some improvement. Nonetheless because family does not have issues with 7.0.4 on i4 doesnt mean there aren't issues. Because I don't have any specific issues on my 5s, doesn't negate the scads of threads on battery issues, app crashes, reboots and resprings across the inter webs.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
To me there is a bunch interface related issues in 7.0.4 that can use some improvement. Nonetheless because family does not have issues with 7.0.4 on i4 doesnt mean there aren't issues. Because I don't have any specific issues on my 5s, doesn't negate the scads of threads on battery issues, app crashes, reboots and resprings across the inter webs.

Exactly!!

YOU not experiencing the problem doesn't negate it's existence. In this case iPhone 4's performance on iOS 7.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Exactly!!

YOU not experiencing the problem doesn't negate it's existence. In this case iPhone 4's performance on iOS 7.

Exactly. This is not an across the board issue. You cannot say there are performance issues with 7.0.4 and iPhone 4. You can only say "there are some users who experience a performance issue with i4 and 7.0.4." There is a world of difference between the two.

edit: there may be generic across the board performance issues with IOS 7.0.4 and iphone 4, but to notice these issues they have to be perceptible. Imperceptible performance issues don't count. Also the mix of applications may contribute to an array of issues that apple has to fix. Point is, while the statement maybe true as in more than one user, not every user is experiencing this.

Last edited:

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Not everyone is tech savvy and know the true value of an iPhone 5S. And some are looking for a quick sale. It's all about bargaining. If you have sales experience then it's easy. I can't speak for everyone. But don't expect to go on a website and find a brand new 5S for 430ish without asking the person to bring the price down.

Ah, that may be the case. I work in sales and the value of the iPhone is always higher in my circles. I suppose there are those individuals who may not have any knowledge pertaining to market value. I'd just be happy to find a few. I own a 5c and have contemplated getting a 5s to play with....

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
I'm looking to buy a new phone off contract, however I can't help noticing the huge price difference between the latest Nexus 5 ($350) and the iPhone 5S ($650) despite the Nexus 5 being better hardware wise. Where is the $300 difference coming from?

If I didn't have a lot of apps already, I think the Nexus 5 would be a no-brainer to me?

I'm not sure what you mean by the Nexus 5 being "better" hardware. The CPU/GPU are worse, though it has a larger screen and obviously is quite nice. (Besides which Android needs way more power than iOS or even full blown Windows does to do the same thing...Android's horrifically inefficient.)

But anyway yeah, Apple's prices are massively inflated. I really think they need a cheap model to compete with the Nexus 5 and some really great Nokia phones that sell for that or less.

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
New York
Comparing the nexus 5 to the iPhone 5s isn't fair to both phones. Having had both, the nexus 5 is the better buy if yr paying full price. It has a better screen and camera. Its faster, although its iOS that limits the iPhones speed with those stupid animations.

However, the iPhone isn't subsidized by apple. They're making money off their hardware. Googles making money off their services.

The better buy is the nexus. It basically does the same thing as an iPhone. If you want the apple looks or ecosystem, cough up the extra 300.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
No you didn't. More cores clearly does not translate into better hardware. It translates into "more cores". A fingerprint reader translates into better hardware. :D:apple:

So does NFC and wireless charging then.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
650$ for a phone with a 4 inch screen, 1GB RAM, just 16GB non expandable and dual core?

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
No you didn't. More cores clearly does not translate into better hardware. It translates into "more cores". A fingerprint reader translates into better hardware. :D:apple:

I did.

NFC, qi charging, use of OTG adapters, because gger screen, maybe really ram, DOES translate to better hardware

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I did.

NFC, qi charging, use of OTG adapters, because gger screen, maybe really ram, DOES translate to better hardware

Ah. But all that stuff means nothing to me, in fact, NFC is a detriment. Not gonna be happy when apple incorporates it.

touch id > nfc + qi charging + otg adapters. But that's my equation. YMMV. :)

The touch id is more useful than all of that other stuff, because I use it 100's of times a day. So I deem it better hardware.

----------

So does NFC and wireless charging then.

See above. :cool:

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
Ah. But all that stuff means nothing to me, in fact, NFC is a detriment. Not gonna be happy when apple incorporates it.

touch id > nfc + qi charging + otg adapters. But that's my equation. YMMV. :)

The touch id is more useful than all of that other stuff, because I use it 100's of times a day. So I deem it better hardware.

----------

See above. :cool:

Fingerprint scanners are NOTHING NEW!

It's been done on android

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Need advice from you guys. Got my coworker offering a 16GB gold for $400. Do you think I should jump on it?

9ezy4u8e.jpg

4e8usajy.jpg

gy9ape7u.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.