Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macfan34

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2010
Betelguese
i've wondered if anyone is really going to use it. it's not like it will do the same thing for Mac that it did for iPhone. i think i'll download it but i'll just have to see if i'll use it much.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
I'll probably download it just for the novelty of the idea, but it isn't needed even a little bit.

It doesn't make it easier to find apps, blah blah blah. My friends mom is computer illiterate to the point of being painful to watch, and even she can google for apps.

AlexM-1997

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2010
i heard that they will be selling pages etc individually which is good because i have no need for the iwork equivalent of Excel.That will also mean it will be cheaper.

and if you want to download a 3rd party app there is no need to go from site to site and worry hat your actually downloading

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
The Mac App Store will be huge.

The success or failure of an operating system depends on the software. Microsoft learned this very early and was easily one of the main reasons for their success. Hell, DOS was more successful than Apple's GUI based Mac OS. A massive influx of new original software to the Mac can only be a good thing, it brings developers to the platform and results in more sales and a higher marketshare.

This is going to be very, very huge.

Last edited:

Jinkst

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2008
Sydney, AUS
I think it will be a massive success. It will stop Apple from really having to ship any software being that's it downloadable now.

Think of the money they will save from not having to make hard copies of programming. Plus with the ease of which it will be able to be used there will be a lot more people willing to download programs straight to their Mac rather than going out to buy software.

Developers will see that and jump on board in no time. I'm really looking forward to seeing what they can do.

This weeks launch can't come soon enough. Very exciting times ahead in my opinion.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
I think it will be a massive success. It will stop Apple from really having to ship any software being that's it downloadable now.

Think of the money they will save from not having to make hard copies of programming. Plus with the ease of which it will be able to be used there will be a lot more people willing to download programs straight to their Mac rather than going out to buy software.

Developers will see that and jump on board in no time. I'm really looking forward to seeing what they can do.

This weeks launch can't come soon enough. Very exciting times ahead in my opinion.

With no good numbers to back this up, I would say the overwhelming majority of Mac software purchases are happening online already. In other words, most are downloading straight to there Mac today. All this will do is give a central place for browsing.

Newsflash, there are many good devs out there writing Mac software and have been doing so for years. New devs may jump on, but that will kick off the crap train and race to the bottom that is happening in the iOS App Store.

This is not exciting in the least. If the crappy developers don't think this is a new "gold rush", this thing may have a chance.

chocobain

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2010
app store will be released on 6 january :)
~can't wait to download it

but i must read the review first before install on my mac

we still can download the offline software or we must use app store to download and install program?
i think macs are going to be "iphone"

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
app store will be released on 6 january :)
~can't wait to download it

but i must read the review first before install on my mac

we still can download the offline software or we must use app store to download and install program?
i think macs are going to be "iphone"
You can still download your software from a website or install from a CD. The App Store is merely an additional way to obtain software.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
The biggest thing I think will be the influx from iOS developers to make OSX programs. Lots of current apps and games would work great on a Mac. This will be the route for the success of the Mac App Store, IMO.

Kercelios

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2011
I think that the Mac App Store will be successful in its own special way, as it will be an excellent point of contact for Macintosh users to obtain software quickly and easily from start to finish (ex: pay for application, download, use, and maintain/update all from one place).

That being said, unlike iOS-powered devices, there's no "jail-breaking" required for Macintosh computers, and developers will still be able to publish their applications to their own sites and web stores if they choose to do so.

In effect, it seems like it'll turn out to be the best of both worlds, pick and choose how you want to obtain your software. We'll just have to wait and see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.