Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobobenobi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2010
The original code for vi was written by Bill Joy in 1976, as the visual mode for a line editor called ex that Joy had written with Chuck Haley.[2] Bill Joy's ex 1.1 was released as part of the first BSD Unix release in March, 1978

Do you think the MBA could run ex?

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I was just about to write the same...
It smells like troll, but I am not sure...

Definitely a troll...

Incase by chance you aren't a troll OP my Macbook Air runs Maya, ZBrush, Houdini, and Unity just fine for those times I need to travel and work on projects so its definitely going to run old text editors from ancient computer days.

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California
Definitely a troll...

Incase by chance you aren't a troll OP my Macbook Air runs Maya, ZBrush, Houdini, and Unity just fine for those times I need to travel and work on projects so its definitely going to run old text editors from ancient computer days.

Wow! That's a line-up of heavy duty apps I'd never think to associate with a MBA!:eek: Not to highjack the thread but could you describe what you mean by 'fine'...my early 2006 MBP w/2 GB RAM can run two virtual machines 'fine' (meaning without crashing but kind of slow). While rendering do you have the ability to do other tasks (surf, check email, etc)? And have you used Lightwave on your MBA?

mouthster

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2005
So what's worse, a troll or people who go down the "troll hole" and answer their questions seriously?

bobobenobi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2010
So what's worse, a troll or people who go down the "troll hole" and answer their questions seriously?

I only posted in this as a lighthearted response to all of the "Is the MBA powerful enough to run X" threads I've seen lately.

You gotta pay the troll toll if you want to get into this boy's soul...

bobobenobi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2010
It definitely is. Run 'xterm' from the Terminal command line and you'll see (assuming you have X11 installed).

Are you sure? Running the Terminal, ex, X, and xterm at the same time seems like a lot!

Next question: Is running the Terminal and vi at the same time girly?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.