Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jgorinac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Will the MacBook work just fine for me if I pursue this major? I Just sold my early 2011 MacBook Pro for $850 yesterday and want to get a new laptop as soon as possible but I'm stuck between the Air and Pro.... I would like the air for its convenience as I would be bringing it with me everywhere I go but can it handle it all? I've heard of photoshop running just fine on it and it being able to hold its own...

MacBook Air base model 13" with 8GB of RAM and the 3 year Apple Protection Plan - -$1500

OR

MacBoook Air 13" with 8GB RAM and upgraded 2.0GHz Intel Dual-Core Core i7 and 3 year Apple Protection Plan - $1900....

Any information would be nice, thanks.

TrollToddington

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
I've found the colours of the display of the MBA inferior to those of the MBP, so basically my answer to your question is "no" unless you are planning on buying an external monitor.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
If it's between the 13" Air and the Pro they would be similar, as both have the HD 4000 graphics chip. The 2012 Air with the i7 is about as fast as the 2011 base MacBook Pro with the 2.4GHz i5.

On the 13", the difference between the i5 and the i7 isn't as big as it is with the 11". You might be OK with the i5 if you don't need the extra storage of the higher end model.

jeremyx

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012
If it's between the 13" Air and the Pro they would be similar, as both have the HD 4000 graphics chip. The 2012 Air with the i7 is about as fast as the 2011 base MacBook Pro with the 2.4GHz i5.

On the 13", the difference between the i5 and the i7 isn't as big as it is with the 11". You might be OK with the i5 if you don't need the extra storage of the higher end model.
Colors and visual things tend to be kinda important when doing graphic designs, and in those areas MBA is not very good. Not for professional work at least.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.