Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockos

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2007
what i would love to see

I have a thre year old blackbook. and really getting the bug for a new computer. i am maxed out at 2.0 c2d with 3gb ram. and have a 500 gb drive.

two things that would make me buy a mac air in the next rev

1. an sd card slot. would elimnate the need for me to use the only usb slot to plug in a camera

2. and 4gb min of memory. give me those two things and i will get out my checkbook.

other than that i have wanted an air since it first came out..

sorry to hijack but all the air owners how many have the superdrive and how often do u really use it.

thanks
rockos

drjsway

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
The thing that pissed me off about the air experience was rev a (paid $1800) couldn't play flash without overheating, and the rev b couldn't play 1080p video without studdering.

Play your 1080p video in Plex. It runs much more smoothly than VLC (or whatever else you were using). I connect my rev B to a 1080p projector all the time and it runs perfectly.

sorry to hijack but all the air owners how many have the superdrive and how often do u really use it.

I bought the super drive and have only used it twice. Once to install windows and once to install Final Cut Studio. Most software you can buy online now as a digital download. Get my movies online too (NetFlix streaming, iTunes, etc.)

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR

I have a superdrive that I picked up from a friend who had two. Other than to initially test it, I've never used it... and quite frankly, I am not too sure why I would need to. I have also not used the "remote drive" other than to test the function. Of course, my MBP has a DVD drive... which I have only used once (to install Aperture 3)... but I had the option to install from the web.

I have used the DVD drive in my 27" i7 iMac a couple of times, but I do not find that as essential either. I would have preferred to have had a 2nd internal drive instead, so that I could have had an SSD plus a 2TB HDD.

The DVD drive has become about as useful as a floppy drive. I certainly do not want to carry DVDs with me, nor do I want the bulk and weight built into my laptops. Even for desktop computers, which still have a legitimate (but fleeting) use for an optical drive... it is obvious that their days are numbered. As Nicolas Negroponte so eloquently said in his 1995 book "Being Digital", the molecules of physical media have been replaced with electrons.

/Jim

Dwanep

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2009
Nebraska
Just get the Air, the only thing that I remotely miss from my pro is the glass track pad. I have had none of the problems talked about on this site and if you use the air for a month then pick up a pro you will not have any regrets. The Pros are tanks compared to the Air. I also thought I could not live without my cd drive, I don't even keep it in my back pack any more I leave it at home and rarely use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.