Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
To be clear, a 3.0 cable would work with a 2.0 extension cable too, just that the bottleneck is going to be that 2.0 extension cable. USB is backward compatible technology. The bottleneck will always just be the oldest revision.

----------

Why wouldn't it Work if it's too long

There is no reason, really. I am sure there is some sort of logistical limit to the length due to power, etc. but I would suspect that would be very long. We are talking many meters here, if anything. In short, I doubt that would become a problem for you.

DeeEss

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2011
Apple naming continues to be somewhat questionable. Lightning is much faster than thunder (speed of light v speed of sound) yet thunderbolt is much faster than the lightning connector.

:eek:

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
I use a three foot USB 2.0 extension with my Lightning cable. It charges my phone the same as using only the Lightning cable to the wall adapter.

Andy Ftw

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
I have a 2 yr old packard bell work machine and a new MBP that tell otherwise. Most, if not ALL new PC's and Macs nowadays have usb 3.0, and there's always backwards compatibility.

Makes no sense to me.

Agreed with this. Especially as they're latest macbook pro's supporting USB 3.0 you'd think this would be the perfect opportunity to make use of them. Apparently not..

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
It's only 2.0 but should definitely be USB 3.0 for transfer and power reasons, wonder why they stuck with 2.0 on this...?

What transfer and power reasons?

No iOS device is fast enough to hit the maximum transfer speed that USB 2.0 offers.

USB 3.0 would just be unused.

because most computers don't support USB 3

Apple may have been late to the party with USB 3.0, but most other manufacturers have included at least one USB 3.0 port for a while now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.