Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Hi all,

So when i'm working at my client's site, i'm at the mercy of their network. Their network doesn't like websites like joystiq.com and other "recreational" sites. I know i can manually find a proxy on the internet and type in the address, but is there an extension that will automatically use a proxy on the blocked sites? I've done some googling, but i haven't been too successful.

-Kevin

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
If they're blocking you with BlueCoat or Websense, it's likely that the proxy sites will also be on the blocked list even if direct HTTP is allowed through their firewall. If you're using the client's equipment, you're stuffed. If it's your own, you may be able to find and use a Wi-Fi hotspot, but don't try it whilst connected to their network. They wouldn't be at all happy with you.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
No I've used proxies so I know they can get through the site... And there's no wifi around here. I was just wondering if there's an extension that autodetects what you're blocked from and then implments a proxy...

amethyst233

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2007
http://www.torrify.com/ ?
never used it b4, buts maybe thats what u want, together with firefox, Im no sure tho, u can check it out for yourself.
i need a proxy thats not blocked by websense... my school has websense and i've used web based proxy's before but im all out of them, i can't find anymore... someone please help me.

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
i need a proxy thats not blocked by websense... my school has websense and i've used web based proxy's before but im all out of them, i can't find anymore... someone please help me.

Right, but in your situation, you very probably had to sign an Acceptable Use Policy at your school concerning the internet, us assisting you makes us accessories to... something. So there. However, I did all I could to get around the blocks at my school as well.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I'd be careful... if your client catches you trying to bypass their security measures it would be bad for you AND your company.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
Aircard or bluetooth tether to blackberry etc. is pretty much a necessity these days when working in someone else's building.

Yeah, the client site where I'm working has websense in place as well. It's a large financial services company so they have everything blocked, all outside email sites, AIM, you name it it's blocked. So when I want to browse to sites they have blocked I just use my iPhone. It's a bit frustrating as Edge is very slow at this location, but it's the only option I have apart from waiting until I get home to visit those sites.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.