Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gravydog316

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 17, 2016
Canada
Hi, my mom's iMac has started to be REALLY slow the last couple macOS Beta updates.
I don't want to downgrade, but just wondering if there is an easy way to reset the Settings, like on the iPhone,
or if there a good app I can use to just try & clean the iMac & try to remove old preference files & such?

I keep getting the beach ball whenever I try to do most simple tasks, (& it is more annoying than my sister!)
1695705398480.jpeg

eldho

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2011
Hi, my mom's iMac has started to be REALLY slow the last couple macOS Beta updates.
I don't want to downgrade, but just wondering if there is an easy way to reset the Settings, like on the iPhone,
or if there a good app I can use to just try & clean the iMac & try to remove old preference files & such?

I keep getting the beach ball whenever I try to do most simple tasks, (& it is more annoying than my sister!) View attachment 2281266
You say nothing about the age of the iMac - your problem might be more to do with a spinning disk reaching the end of its life, for example. Or if the disk is too full it might be very fragmented so the disk is having to work hard to collect all the data together.

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA

I keep getting the beach ball whenever I try to do most simple tasks, (& it is more annoying than my sister!) View attachment 2281266
If you are ok with data being lost, then the "Erase all Content and Settings" works exactly like It does on the iPhone. You can give that a try - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212749

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Go to Users & Groups settings pane.

Create a NEW (temporary) user account with administrative privileges.
Give it any name and password you wish.

Now, LOG OUT of the "slow" account, and try logging into the new one.
Does it run at the same slow speed?
Or... does it run better?

If it runs better, then there's something in your mom's existing account that is gumming things up.

If the new account is as slow as the older one, then it's probably "OS-based" and not "localized" in a specific account.

You can just delete the temporary account when you no longer need it.

Gravydog316

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 17, 2016
Canada
Go to Users & Groups settings pane.

Create a NEW (temporary) user account with administrative privileges.
Give it any name and password you wish.

Now, LOG OUT of the "slow" account, and try logging into the new one.
Does it run at the same slow speed?
Or... does it run better?

If it runs better, then there's something in your mom's existing account that is gumming things up.

If the new account is as slow as the older one, then it's probably "OS-based" and not "localized" in a specific account.

You can just delete the temporary account when you no longer need it.
my mom is going to try this tomorrow thanks :)

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
You say nothing about the age of the iMac

Which iMac, OS?

How much memory does it have? How much is being used when you see the beachball (Activity Monitor).

How much disk do you have? Do you have 30% free space?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.