Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

farqueue

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2006
Hello, any way to increase applications like safari opening faster? takes about 8 seconds when macbook is booted up

Is there a way to increase this snappiness by reducing the graphics/effects like in window$?

thanks

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
I'd say more RAM but you already have 2GB... hmm maybe its a slow HDD? What do those Macbooks have?

My PowerMac G4 Digital Audio takes around 3-5 seconds to open Safari first try and almost instantly after that.

taybone

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2006
Sacramento, CA
For the first startup, i don't think there is anything you can do, but for the second, third, etc, you can just leave the program running and it will open instantanously from then on. In fact, i always keep camino, mail, itunes, and quicktime running...i figure if i have enough ram, why not have them running all the time so as to make it snappy to open them.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
farqueue said:
Hello, any way to increase applications like safari opening faster? takes about 8 seconds when macbook is booted up

The simplest solution is to not reboot. Just put the system to sleep when you're not using it, and it'll spring back to life almost instantly :)

farqueue

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2006
Nermal said:
The simplest solution is to not reboot. Just put the system to sleep when you're not using it, and it'll spring back to life almost instantly :)

I havent retarted my computer in the past 2 weeks, just closing the lid etc.... will this damage my macbook in the furture?

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
farqueue said:
I havent retarted my computer in the past 2 weeks, just closing the lid etc.... will this damage my macbook in the furture?

Nope, this won't harm it at all. Putting laptops to sleep, rather than turning off, is the recommended treatment.

kevinliu4

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2006
a faster hd will actually make more of an impact.

your ram should not be under much stress when you just boot up and launch safari.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.