Is there a way to make applications open faster?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by farqueue, Aug 18, 2006.

1. farqueue macrumors 6502

farqueue

Hello, any way to increase applications like safari opening faster? takes about 8 seconds when macbook is booted up

Is there a way to increase this snappiness by reducing the graphics/effects like in window$?

thanks

2. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

more RAM, and not quitting the application after it's open.

3. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I'd say more RAM but you already have 2GB... hmm maybe its a slow HDD? What do those Macbooks have?

My PowerMac G4 Digital Audio takes around 3-5 seconds to open Safari first try and almost instantly after that.

4. taybone macrumors member

For the first startup, i don't think there is anything you can do, but for the second, third, etc, you can just leave the program running and it will open instantanously from then on. In fact, i always keep camino, mail, itunes, and quicktime running...i figure if i have enough ram, why not have them running all the time so as to make it snappy to open them.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The simplest solution is to not reboot. Just put the system to sleep when you're not using it, and it'll spring back to life almost instantly :)

6. farqueue thread starter macrumors 6502

farqueue

I havent retarted my computer in the past 2 weeks, just closing the lid etc.... will this damage my macbook in the furture?

7. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Nope, this won't harm it at all. Putting laptops to sleep, rather than turning off, is the recommended treatment.

8. atticus1178 macrumors regular

i wonder why your safari is so slow, mine is open before it gets done with one bounce

that is weird

maybe you should try to repair permissions

9. kevinliu4 macrumors regular

a faster hd will actually make more of an impact.

your ram should not be under much stress when you just boot up and launch safari.