Is there an Adium equivalent on Windows?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by SamIchi, Aug 14, 2006.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I hate how AIM doesn't have tabs and is damn ugly. and the stupid ad on top. Is there a program like Adium on Windows?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Gaim

3. skibob1027 macrumors member

Use Trillian - it's a great Windows app. Supports AIM, MSN, Yahoo, Google, and ICQ, I believe.

www.ceruleanstudios.com/

4. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

What's the difference between GAIM and Trillian? Which one is more popular? Advantages? Thanks guys.

5. reh macrumors 6502a

After trying just about every chat client available for Windows, I settled on Trillian. It was the least annoying.

6. illumiladdie macrumors newbie

7. Celeron macrumors 6502a

Gaim is now called Pidgin. Trillian is a bloated piece of software in my opinion. Adium actually uses the backend coding from Pidgin (gaim).

8. arranmc182 macrumors member

arranmc182

Pidgin because thats adiums core and i have found Miranda IM to do a good job seem to all ways work even when pidgin carnt i use it when pidgin will not log me in

9. m1ss1ontomars macrumors 6502

The latest AIM has tabs, and there exists an ad hack for it. Personally I use Pidgin though, because I'm often using multiple chat protocols and different accounts at once.

10. palmerized macrumors regular

I agree -- try Pidgin. It uses the same engine for it's IM services. It's also open-source and is cross-platform. There are also a ton of add-ons and plug-ins for it. www.pidgin.im

As for Trillian, ya -- super bloated. Version 3.x is OK, but their new version, Astra is SUPER BLOATED. I was (am) a beta tester for it and stopped using it. Pure garbage. I don't need my IM app to do a million things. It was too much. This is why I like Adium or Pidgin -- very simple, fast and a nice clean interface.

My two cents.

11. freebird2003 macrumors member

another +1 to pidgin.

lightwight and does the job. no nonsense.

pidgin rocks

12. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

Trillian if you want to have an app on the PC, and meebo.com if you want to do it web based (which I prefer), or if you are at work and cannot download and install IM apps :)

13. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Ugh, work has meebo blocked :(

14. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Pidgin
    Trillion
    Miranda

noted, Adium is using Pidgin's library. Pidgin is formerly know as GAIM under Linux.

15. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

16. Old School Punk macrumors newbie

Miranda is a great app, must install thing, even much better, that Adium.

17. wallaby macrumors 6502

wallaby

Trillian is a good no-brainer IM program with Tabs and support for multiple IM clients. I've used Pidgin lately but I don't like it much; it might use less system resources but the interface and accessibility are worth it to me.