Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
I hate how AIM doesn't have tabs and is damn ugly. and the stupid ad on top. Is there a program like Adium on Windows?

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
What's the difference between GAIM and Trillian? Which one is more popular? Advantages? Thanks guys.

reh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2003
Arkansas
After trying just about every chat client available for Windows, I settled on Trillian. It was the least annoying.

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
Gaim is now called Pidgin. Trillian is a bloated piece of software in my opinion. Adium actually uses the backend coding from Pidgin (gaim).

m1ss1ontomars

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2006
I hate how AIM doesn't have tabs and is damn ugly. and the stupid ad on top. Is there a program like Adium on Windows?

The latest AIM has tabs, and there exists an ad hack for it. Personally I use Pidgin though, because I'm often using multiple chat protocols and different accounts at once.

palmerized

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2007
St Jacobs, ON, Canada
I agree -- try Pidgin. It uses the same engine for it's IM services. It's also open-source and is cross-platform. There are also a ton of add-ons and plug-ins for it. http://www.pidgin.im

As for Trillian, ya -- super bloated. Version 3.x is OK, but their new version, Astra is SUPER BLOATED. I was (am) a beta tester for it and stopped using it. Pure garbage. I don't need my IM app to do a million things. It was too much. This is why I like Adium or Pidgin -- very simple, fast and a nice clean interface.

My two cents.

riscy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
China
Trillian if you want to have an app on the PC, and meebo.com if you want to do it web based (which I prefer), or if you are at work and cannot download and install IM apps :)

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Pidgin
Trillion
Miranda

noted, Adium is using Pidgin's library. Pidgin is formerly know as GAIM under Linux.

wallaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Iowa
Trillian is a good no-brainer IM program with Tabs and support for multiple IM clients. I've used Pidgin lately but I don't like it much; it might use less system resources but the interface and accessibility are worth it to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.